eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Have "hits" been reconfigured?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtisanWools

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Have "hits" been reconfigured? Reply with quote

Have the "hits" been reset for January? I have a lot of lookers, far more than ever.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
hocadobi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happily, I can report the same activity. Very Happy
One day later: I was taking into consideration that my hits started at zero on January 1 - there do seem to be more visits than at the same time a month ago!

Last edited by hocadobi on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
AmericanEdge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Have "hits" been reconfigured? Reply with quote

ArtisanWools wrote:
Have the "hits" been reset for January? I have a lot of lookers, far more than ever.

Hits are reset the 1st of every month.

ralph
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you post your listings to Facebook or Twitter, you will get an incredible number of hits, but those hits will be mostly from the "bots" and not necessarily from actual lookers.
ArtisanWools

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not list with Facebook or Twitter. No, my hits were not reset on January ist. I keep a record and they are just about the same amount of hits I had on Dec 31st. Has anyone else looked at their hits and found the same thing?
hocadobi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine were most definitely reset to zero. Maybe you were skipped over?
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine reset to zero in all my stores as normal. You posted several topics on the forum this month and often when someone post that I haven't seen, I go look at their store. Maybe you got a lot of lookers from the forum that caused the increase in hits.
homeandbodyessence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as mine, reset to 0 as usual.

I realize this is off topic, but I noticed ArtisanWools has 15 sales and 100% feedback. However, she doesn't accept either PayPal or Google Checkout. I thought eCrater only calculated the number of sales based on the number of purchases completed with instant electronic payments. Unless the OP recently removed PP or GC... ?
ArtisanWools

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi homeandbody! I have far more sales then 15. I just looked yesterday and have two full pages of completed sales, so that count is not correct as well. Until this past week, I have accepted PayPal. The problem now is that PayPal is demanding people's Social Security numbers and I don't feel comfortable with that. I am a college professor and have spoken with other profs about the intrusiveness of such a request. They have given good advice. Is Google requesting that information as well?
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArtisanWools wrote:
The problem now is that PayPal is demanding people's Social Security numbers and I don't feel comfortable with that.

Beginning with 2011, payment processors must report your sales to the IRS and send you a 1099 with the information because so many people were selling online "under the radar" and not reporting their income for tax purposes. In theory, they should only send one if your gross income from the processor hits a threshold of $20,000. But I have also read that they may send them to those with lower amounts because many sellers use more than one processor. If you sell $12,000 through PayPal and $8,000 through Google checkout, you would hit the threshold for reporting. And yes, I believe GCO would fall under that law also, as well as any other payment processors.

I haven't received anything yet and haven't read of any other sellers who have, so I'm assuming that they haven't been sent out yet.
Quote:
I am a college professor and have spoken with other profs about the intrusiveness of such a request. They have given good advice.

Not to report all income to the IRS?

We've hashed out the whole issue of whether or not people should pay their taxes in these forums earlier this year as sellers became aware of the new law. That's a personal matter, in my opinion. But while there are many reasons to vilify PayPal, in this case they are simply obeying the law.

I thought they were actually closing accounts for those who would not supply a SS# or TIN?
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtcollectibles wrote:
Beginning with 2011, payment processors must report your sales to the IRS and send you a 1099 with the information because so many people were selling online "under the radar" and not reporting their income for tax purposes. In theory, they should only send one if your gross income from the processor hits a threshold of $20,000. But I have also read that they may send them to those with lower amounts because many sellers use more than one processor. If you sell $12,000 through PayPal and $8,000 through Google checkout, you would hit the threshold for reporting. And yes, I believe GCO would fall under that law also, as well as any other payment processors.

I doubt that GCO and PP are sharing payouts with one another, because to do so would mean that they would be disclosing the TIN/SSN, which I do not believe they are allow to do (other than to the IRS).

BTW, the reporting requirement is $20,000 in revenue and 200 transactions. If you did 40 transactions of $500 each, technically you have not met the requirements. If you do many small transactions, but hit the $20,000 line, you would receive a 1099-K, and it would be reported to the government.
ArtisanWools

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sales were less than $500 this year. I broke my hip and right leg in an accident on May 9th and was in hospitals and rehab until July 24th. A real bummer! I still can't walk very well.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you don't get a 1099 don't mean you aren't suppose to record your business income. Besides if you claim yoru business income you also get to write off your business expenses
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:

I doubt that GCO and PP are sharing payouts with one another, because to do so would mean that they would be disclosing the TIN/SSN, which I do not believe they are allow to do (other than to the IRS).

I'm not sure how my statement came across, but I didn't mean to imply that they would share anything. What I meant to say is that I have read that you may get a 1099 even if you are under the $20,000 because you may hit the threshold when all your sales are totaled up.

I haven't received anything yet, so I don't know what will come out. According to my records, I should be under the $20,000, but I'm waiting to see what shows up, if anything. Until they start sending them out, there are still some question marks. And they've got nearly 3 weeks to get them to us.
Quote:
BTW, the reporting requirement is $20,000 in revenue and 200 transactions. If you did 40 transactions of $500 each, technically you have not met the requirements. If you do many small transactions, but hit the $20,000 line, you would receive a 1099-K, and it would be reported to the government.

Good to point out. I wasn't trying to get into the whole schmear again since we beat it to death a few months back! Wink But, yes, it is $20k and 200 transactions.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My sales were less than $500 this year. I broke my hip and right leg in an accident on May 9th and was in hospitals and rehab until July 24th. A real bummer! I still can't walk very well.

Yep, bummer but the IRS doesn't care about that, they just want to know how much you earned this year by selling on line, so we still have to report our income to the IRS. Now because of so many cheaters, PP, GCO, and all the other payment venues have to send 1099 if the person falls into certain categories, but even if you don't, you have to report the income as either business or a hobby income. The hobby income doesn't get the expense deductions though, if I remember correctly.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: