eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

International shipping question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
koolcatvintage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: International shipping question Reply with quote

I would like to ship one of my items to Hong Kong and cannot remember how to change the listing to reflect a shipping charge for that destination. I already enabled shipping to that area but do not know what else needs to be done. The items weighs 7 oz. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like to ship one of my items to Hong Kong and cannot remember how to change the listing to reflect a shipping charge for that destination. I already enabled shipping to that area but do not know what else needs to be done. The items weighs 7 oz. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

You need to fill in the row for Hong Kong in your matrix. I believe Hong Kong is the same rate as Australia, so I checked to see what you were charging for Australia. But it shows that you have $0.00 shipping to Australia, so I'm not sure if your matrix is filled in or not?
koolcatvintage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't filled the matrix out. The customer would like the item shipped Express, not sure if that is relevant or not to the shipping matrix.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sell outside the US and Canada, you need to use either the matrix or the USPS calculator. Otherwise your buyer will be charged $0.00 for shipping. Even with the calculator, they say you need the matrix as a backup for times when the system is too busy and no charge will be returned. There is nowhere to enter a fixed shipping cost as you can for the US and Canada.
koolcatvintage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has happened to me actually, on a recent sale. So it's either the matrix or the usps calculator. I appreciate your help.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know for sure what they want and they want it sent express, go and send them an invoive from PP or GCO! Most people don't want express, so that sure isn't what you are going to want in a shipping matrix. But rather than loose a sale by taking to long to figure this stuff out, invoice them and then keep working on your shipping for international.
koolcatvintage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did want it sent Express, so what I did was increase the total price of the item to reflect the shipping charge in the listing and let them know that I was doing it that way, and they purchased it. (at least until I figure out the shipping thing) Confused The PayPal invoice is a great idea also, thanks!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: International shipping question Reply with quote

koolcatvintage wrote:
I would like to ship one of my items to Hong Kong and cannot remember how to change the listing to reflect a shipping charge for that destination.
There is no way to "change the listing" to show shipping to Hong Kong. Shipping charges are for your whole store when you ship internationally. If you only ship to the US or Canada, you can set the shipping cost for each item on the add/change page, but if you use this system the customer will be charged the posted shipping cost for each item. For example, if you charge $3.00 to ship item A and $4.00 to ship item B when your customer buys both items A and B they will be charged $7.00. Using a weight based shipping (either USPS Calculated with shipping matrix as backup OR just the shipping matrix) the shipping cost will automatically be adjusted based on the total weight of the items purchased.

If you want to ship to any country other than the US and Canada, you'll need to use either USPS calculated shipping with the shipping matrix as a backup OR just use the shipping matrix. There is no way to set international shipping for each item individually on eCRATER. If you want to use USPS calculated shipping, make sure you select an international method of shipping and have your weights listed for each item.

Currently you have Canada, Hong Kong and Australia selected in your shipping zones, but I didn't see any items that had shipping cost for those countries. If your customer checks out and pays $0.00 for shipping as you have charged, you can't go back and charge them for shipping. Also, your FAQs tell the customer to add insurance if they want the item insured. There is no way for the customer to add insurance on eCRATER. The seller should include the insurance in the shipping cost or the cost of the item if they want the protection of insurance.

I also noticed a large number of sold signs in your store. This is against the eCRATER Terms of Service and can get your store suspended. You can add the sold signs if you wish, BUT you must hide the item so it is not listed for sale. Hiding the item will still allow it to be seen with a direct link, but it is no longer available for sale nor will it still be on the Google Product feed.
RS4Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: International shipping question Reply with quote

I am new here so please bare with me a bit. I have several categories of items for sale in shipping weights from envelopes at 1 oz to 32" boxes at 8 lbs. Most of the items are sold with free shipping in the mainland US. I would like to ship the items to Europe, Australia and Canada.

I just don't grasp this shipping matrix and zone stuff. I don't see any way to set free shipping to US mainland, an up charge to AK and HI, a higher shipping charge to Canada and a even higher charge to Europe and Australia. I added the European countries to the list, but when going back to the listing, only US, AK, HI and CA were options that I could add a price to. I did that initially an then promptly freaked out reading the tips page that said I was shipping to the UK and AU for free!

Back to the matrix, it seems to go in 1lb increments but 80% of my listings weigh less than 2oz. Using a pound for weight makes the shipping cost three times the item price - not workable of course. Also, my 8lb items need a higher price for shipping because they are large boxes. I just don't see how I can put everything I sell into that tiny matrix and not loose my shirt by making a shipping mistake to AU.

Each listing has a 1 in it for the weight, why? Can I change it to an ounce or to whatever I need it to be?

Surely there is a primer for these and a zillion other questions I have about shipping on crater. I want to learn it and the quicker the better.

I would like to see what my listings have obligated me too in terms of shipping costs to other countries and again, I can't seem to find a simple way to see the terms...I'm sure it doesn't make sense to some but I am concerned that what I think I am listing an item for in terms of shipping and price isn't what is really being displayed. All I can see is domestic costs (before I took out the Europe, CA, etc).
RS4Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Should I repost as a new thread?
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS4me

There are lots of threads on using the shipping matrix. You need to read them. Let the info percolate in your brain and suddenly the light will come on. The matrix you can put any amount into the column that you want. I use the number 1 to indicate one item, the 2 to indicate 2 items and the 3-4 to indicate 3-4 items and the amount is the average amount it cost me for shipping and handling for that many items. If 80% of your items are 2 ounces or less, this would work very well for you to do it this way as well In other words column 1 is the S&H for 2 ounces. For column 2 it would be the S&Hfor 2 items (4 ounces) etc. When listing the 2 oz items list them as 1, and for your items that go over 2 oz, you would put the weight as whatever column the appropriate amount you need for S&H which might be 8 or 9 depending on the amounts that you put in the matrix. For international, you just put in the international shipping rates that correspond. It is actually very easy when most of your stuff is pretty much the same weights and doing it this way also accounts for multiple purchases. Your invoice gets automatically totaled. The ones with the rough time are sellers with all sorts of product in every shape and size--for them the matrix is almost impossible to use.
RS4Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight. I have been reading the other threads as well.

Many of my items are free shopping in the USA. If I understand it correctly, by putting zero in the US mainland, AK and HI boxes it will not charge any s/h fees. If I then add the appropriate fee for Canada in its box then it should add that to the price right? Even if I don't have anything in the matrix as is the case now. Is that a correct assumption?

Also, if I add the UK, and AU or any other country, then I have to use the matrix as no little boxes appear to put specific charges in like the boxes mentioned above in the listings. And I can use the matrix for only the items that are not free shipping IF I reserve a matrix box as zero and use that for the free items inside the USA? Is that also a correct assumption?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: