eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Help with shipping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mytreasureboxs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Help with shipping Reply with quote

I do not understand the shipping matrix at all. So I'm going to just go with Fixed price. Is there I way to just select shipping to the US & Canada without having to ship to Alaska & Hawaii?

So if I do not have UK & other Countries selected then I can still have it in my description that they can contact me for shipping cost,right?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
mytreasureboxs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more qustion? Can I offer free shipping to the US but NOT to Canada?
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with shipping Reply with quote

mytreasureboxs wrote:
I do not understand the shipping matrix at all. So I'm going to just go with Fixed price. Is there I way to just select shipping to the US & Canada without having to ship to Alaska & Hawaii?

So if I do not have UK & other Countries selected then I can still have it in my description that they can contact me for shipping cost,right?
One of the eCRATER basic requirements is "The sellers must be able to ship throughout the United States."

Have you really thought about what would be best for your store on the subject of shipping. The shipping choices you make will affect your whole store. If you do not want to use the shipping matrix and you do not want to use the USPS calculated shipping, you should assume you will only be shipping to the US and Canada. Customers want to checkout and go, they will be unlikely to play email tag over the cost of shipping. Also, you would have to add info to every item to tell them to email for shipping which would be considered boilerplate and is against the rules for both eCrater and Google Shopping.

mytreasureboxs wrote:
One more qustion? Can I offer free shipping to the US but NOT to Canada?
Yes, you would need to select fixed shipping and add $0.00 cost to the US (inculding AK and HI) and the amount you wish to charge for Canada.
mytreasureboxs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have given it some thought. I'm just so lost! I want to sell to the us & other counrties. I'm just not sure how to do it! My items I sell are items weighing 3oz up to 10 lbs (maybe even 20 lbs). So I have no clue what way is best for me. Embarassed
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The matrix would be best for you since you have items of all sizes and weights. It would still allow you to apply shipping discounts when a customer buys more than one item and keep the shipping cost down if they order something small like 1 tube of lip gloss or 1 pack of stickers. The matrix also allows you to go ahead and add in the extra fees you may want to charge for handling, insurance, tracking, etc. The USPS calculator is good for large and heavy items but the shipping costs ends up being sometimes double what it actually is for small items. That's good if you have nothing but big bulky items for sale but, not if you have everything from stickers, to t-shirts, to microwaves. I'd stick with the matrix. Also, you won't have to manually apply discounts for multiple item orders by issuing small refunds to your buyers like you would if you used fixed rate shipping.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you are shipping, but I've found that shipping to Alaska and Hawaii is no more expensive than shipping to the West coast. I'm on the East coast.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know what you are shipping, but I've found that shipping to Alaska and Hawaii is no more expensive than shipping to the West coast. I'm on the East coast.

I've seen sellers cut out HI and AK for media mail items and first class item, both of which cost exactly the same as sending them to your neighbor next door. Even flat rate priority will ship for the same price. The only time there is a difference if you are shipping by zip code for parcel post I believe or Priority and even at that sometimes Priority is cheaper to ship by zip code than zones or flat rate.

Of course you have to ship to HI and AK to sell here, so it is a moot point, but if you have seen a lot of sellers say they won't ship there then you start to think maybe you shouldn't also and don't really know why.
QuiltCitySue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Marking no shipping overseas on one item Reply with quote

I have a couple of items that I don't want to ship overseas because they are way too expensive for the value of the item, although the rest of my items are available for shipment overseas. How do I mark the item not shippable overseas?

Originally I put fixed shipping to the US and Canada and put in my listing text how I shipped to the US and Canada but someone ordered it from the UK. Now I have in the listing text that the item is not available to be shipped anywhere other than the US and Canada. Is that enough?
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't want to ship overseas because they are way too expensive for the value of the item,

Perhaps you might want to let the buyers overseas determine if it is worth it to them. By the same logic you won't list certain items in your store because you don't think anyone in the US would buy them. Obviously if someone from the UK wanted to buy something, you have interest there. I wouldn't try to cherry pick items that you will or won't ship overseas, just have a international shipping price on them and see what happens. Since there is no listing fees her, in the long run it doesn't matter who buys your items or where they are from as long as they sale and if they don't sale, you aren't out any money.
QuiltCitySue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: some items not shipped overseas Reply with quote

The item I was referring to was a book which I have several copies of and is available on Amazon, ebay, etc. They can buy it there cheaper than buying it from me. I have a price of $4 on it and it would cost $26 or so to ship. I really don't think anyone would buy it for that. The only reason there was interest is that the person saw free shipping.

I put fixed shipping to the US and Canada and I say in the text I don't ship this item outside the US and Canada, but it shows free shipping overseas. I use the shipping matrix and would have to use one of the slots for this one item. I would prefer not to have to do that if there is another way.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I say in the text I don't ship this item outside the US

Something you have to remember is that buyers generally don't read the whole listing so they don't see that blurb about where you ship, all they are seeing is the Free Shipping. It would be easier for you to go ahead and have those items with the international shipping on them instead of trying to keep them separate. Hopefully someone in the US will buy it and solve your problem and if someone from the UK wants it they can buy it.

Don't forget that shipping to the UK is expensive even going through Amazon and some buyers would prefer not to be buying from the big companies. Sellers on Amazon only get $18 to ship a book to the UK by standard mail so many aren't willing to ship overseas which is their choice. If it would cost you $26 to ship, how many sellers are going to be willing to sell a book that they lose their shirt on? Never guess what a customer will want or be willing to buy.

Besides, having info about shipping in your listing is boilerplate and it isn't supposed to be there.
QuiltCitySue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonwishes, I guess you are saying there is really no way to do what I want to do, so I went ahead and changed my shipping matrix to allow for it and changed the listing so it goes international. I had not thought about people not wanting to deal with Amazon. Thanks for helping.
elpereles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiltCitySue, if you don't want to ship a specific item to UK or Australia. You need only to erase the price in "Price Sterling pounds" and "Price AUD".
elpereles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiltCitySue, if you don't want to ship a specific item to UK or Australia. You need only to erase the price in "Price Sterling" and "Price AUD" in the Basic area of Edit Product.

Also go to "Set Store Options" and enable "Do not auto convert prices in other currencies"

oakteakstore, the same cost to ship to West Coast, Alaska or Hawaii must be that for your zip code all fall in the same Shipping Zone. Always remember the USPS's Zones are distances respect to your zip code. The max Zone is Zone 8.

PD
Any US seller that ships by USPS service like 1rst Class, Media Mail, and Priority Rates boxes is a shame if only ship between the 48 continental states and not to Hawaii, Alaska or US Territories. Also asking for these service.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elpereles wrote:
QuiltCitySue, if you don't want to ship a specific item to UK or Australia. You need only to erase the price in "Price Sterling" and "Price AUD" in the Basic area of Edit Product.

Also go to "Set Store Options" and enable "Do not auto convert prices in other currencies"
This would only remove the specific item from the UK or AU stores, the item would still be available for international shipping in the seller's US store.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: