eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Rifle Scopes ARE NOW FIREARM PARTS

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Suspended Stores
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tacticstore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Rifle Scopes ARE NOW FIREARM PARTS Reply with quote

Hello fellow eCraters:

I want to share my experience with eCrater and see if anyone have had similar experience.

My store got suspended and I was informed that I had firearm parts for sale, which is prohibited by eCrater rules. After dozens of emails back and forth turns out the rifle scopes are considered to be firearm parts. At first, I thought, Sandy was from India or something, because in the USA, rifle scopes are not firearms parts. ATF has a good list describing what firearm parts are. Anyway, Sandy passed me over to Tracy, who explained that the rifle scopes are considered to be firearm parts by eCrater team.

I am a power seller on Ebay and Amazon and I sell rifle-scopes, mounts and other firearm accessories; anyway, I just wish that eCrater would be more descriptive in their rules, so we as sellers would not have to waste our time and energy listing items for sale just to see our stores suspended.

Best of luck to you eCrater.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know basically nothing about firearms but I'm pretty sure a rifle scope goes on a rifle doesn't it? So if it's not a firearm part then what it is? This is a serious question.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to Jigsaw. I'm anti gun so think anything to do with shooting is gun or firearm accessory.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand the point being made by tacticstore. Jigsaw wondered what a rifle scope was if not a firearm part and Maggie answered by calling it a firearm accessory. That's exactly the point being made. In my world, a rifle scope is not a rifle part, it's a rifle accessory.
tacticstore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Rifle Scopes ARE NOW FIREARM PARTS Reply with quote

As previously mentioned, ATF has a definition of what firearm parts are. Basically anything that goes inside a gun to make it fire is considered to be a firearm part, anything that goes on a firearm is an accessory.

My rule of thumb on this is: if a minor can walk into Walmart and buy it then it's got to be legal and anyone can purchase a rifle scope in Outdoor Supply section of Walmart.

Anyway, I was able to find other stores on eCrater that sell rifle scopes and after several days those stores got suspended. So, eCrater is on crack down spree, I just wish they made rules clear enough for us to understand. After all it is their house and their rules, got to respect that.

I emailed Tracy a question about "illegal knives" Because as history shows eCrater definition might be totally different from the rest of the industry.

- regards.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rifle Scopes ARE NOW FIREARM PARTS Reply with quote

tacticstore wrote:
After all it is their house and their rules, got to respect that.

I think that is a great attitude. I wish all the sellers who get in this situation felt the same way.

side question... can a rifle scope be used on a Compound Bow ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression, and that is all it is, is that eCRATER holds a view/position that is more conservative on what is drug, gun, tobacco related. They are stricter than other sites for whatever reason. But like you say it is their house and when in their house you respect their rules.

You will find stores selling products that other stores get suspended for selling because there is no gatekeeper watching for illegal products and therefore illegal items are listed until discovered by eCRATER or reported by other sellers.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly me I would have thought that a rifle scope is a rifle part too! Doesn't it help a rifle shoot with much more accuracy?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Silly me I would have thought that a rifle scope is a rifle part too! Doesn't it help a rifle shoot with much more accuracy?

But if you don't care what/who you hit, it isn't essential for the gun to work.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But if you don't care what/who you hit, it isn't essential for the gun to work.

I suppose not, but I just finished David Baldacci's latest novel The Sixth Man where they were at times using rifles with scopes for literally dead on accuracy! Good book by the way for those that like that sort with lots of intrigue and suspense.
elpereles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand the rifle scope is an accessory, but it is confuse terminology for some people even some gun sellers. For example look this site with AR-15 "Accessories. Does the Upper Receiver can be consider accessory? Rolling Eyes
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in doubt ... about any product at all ..
use the contact ecrater form and ask before listing

PS .. tacticstore I personally am not a gun person but I totally see your point.
Does Google Shopping consider it a firearm part? I ask because that seem to me to be where ecrater gets most of the rules from.

Perhaps gather the ATF info showing they are not a firearm part, include links to your proof and address your concern directly to Dimitri. I'm not sure that will matter but you can give it a try. I would think if it's allowed on Amazon it would be allowed here. eBay. that's another issue they close their eyes on alot of stuff.
ecpdefense

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should call them Optical Devices. Very Happy

It does appear that Ecrater is following Google. Google now blocks anything firearm related in Google Shopping.

It's funny how Google will yell it's our First Amendment Right to allow everything on the internet but will Trample and Block anything to do with the everyone's Second Amendment Right!!
securityalarmguru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not make the rules, I hope I'm in comliance with them, and do not get shut down due to a misunderstanding, which seems to happen often here (just my opinion).

But a rifle scope is NOT a part of a weapon any more than the holster is.
It is NOT required to fire the weapon. (Military trained in weapons, btw)

So if ecrater states that you cannot sell firearm parts. then that is what it should be. to make a statement like that, then without further description or additions to the rule, call something a firearm part that is NOT called a firearm part according to the ATF.... I think this is wrong.

I would hate to see a customer visit this person's store, find it closed, and never return. all the while this member (if this is the only offense) has done nothing wrong, and has quite possibly lost customers (which are not easy to get) through no fault of his own.
ecrater-moon
forum admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

em
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Suspended Stores
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: