eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Free shipping question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LifesMosaics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Free shipping question Reply with quote

I want to offer free shipping in the US, but not Canada as it costs more to ship there. Is there any way around this? Question
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found it costs about the same to ship First Class mail to Canada as it does to ship to the US.

But you could always use the shipping matrix and put in 0 for all of the US destinations (US mainland, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, etc) and then fill out the dollar amounts you want to charge for shipping to other countries.
LifesMosaics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without my shipping discount, or with it, with these items, its over 1.00 difference. So that's past what I want to spend. I was hoping for an easy fix like not including Canada. Doing the matrix would seem to be a nightmare, as I do ship around the world on my other sites too. Those prices range from 1.64 to 6.12 (I think) depending on the buyers country. Any other thoughts?
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Free shipping question Reply with quote

LifesMosaics wrote:
I want to offer free shipping in the US, but not Canada as it costs more to ship there. Is there any way around this? Question

Use the shipping matrix. Set the US zones to zero, and valid values for Canada.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you sell, but I use the matrix exclusively and ship all over the world with it. It is possible and for me the absolute easiest of the shipping programs to use.

Do you really have a selling strategy that you feel that free shipping is going to be worthwhile? Have you calculated both the cost of the postage, packaging and delivery confirmation in the cost of free shipping? Have you run the numbers for yourself and your store? I think many sellers see threads or opinions that say you get whatever benefit out of using free shipping, but unless you are charging enough for your items, you will be making less money and not more. Even Amazon expects you to spend at least $25 to get free shipping unless you pay them $70+ a year for it for all your purchases. They are a big company and can swallow the costs of that on volume and if they didn't make more money that way, I guarantee you they wouldn't offer it. Just something for you to think about.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LifesMosaics wrote:

I was hoping for an easy fix like not including Canada. Doing the matrix would seem to be a nightmare, as I do ship around the world on my other sites too. Those prices range from 1.64 to 6.12 (I think) depending on the buyers country. Any other thoughts?
There are several ways to do this. Are you going to offer free shipping in the US for every item in your store including items not yet listed? Are you only going to ship to the US and Canada?

It appears you have added the shipping weight to the items I saw and you have USPS calculated shipping turned on in your store. You have a huge number of countries listed in your shipping zones and you have international shipping options selected in your USPS calculated shipping chart. I am going to assume that you want free shipping to the US for all products and USPS calculated shipping to all international locations including Canada. To add free shipping for every item in the US, just remove any domestic shipping options. When the address is US, the calculated shipping will be checked and you would have no calculated shipping, next your shipping matrix would be checked which has 0.00 for US, then your fixed rate for the item would be checked and you have free shipping in US checked. If this sounds like what you want to do, it's a simple fix. Just don't enter anything for Canada and let the USPS calculated shipping handle Canada just like it's doing for the other countries.

You said you don't want to use the shipping matrix ... however, there really isn't a way to avoid it on eCrater if you want to ship international. Using the USPS calculated shipping makes it easy to sell to lots of countries quickly and the customer will be charged the actual price of shipping based on the weight you enter on the item page. However, there are times with the USPS website will be busy so the shipping listed in the shipping matrix will be returned for the checkout. If you don't have the matix complete, the customer will be charged $0.00 shipping. This doesn't happen very often and if you can live with shipping international for free once in a blue moon, you don't have to complete the matrix. If you can't live with that possibility, you need to complete the matrix.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually when that connectivity goes down, you can end up shipping to the US free as well. Anything not filled out in the matrix.

And I disagree that it doesn't happen a lot. Last holiday season I had 10-20 orders in the course of 2 days default back from calculated to the matrix (I believe there were problems with the USPS site because I also could not get Express Mail delivery date info those dates either).

At $8-$25 apiece in shipping alone just within the US, that would have been a loss I was not willing to risk.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ thecheapskirt ... The example I gave for the OP was based on the fact they want free shipping for all the US. If all the US is free shipping, there would be no need to complete the shipping matrix for the US since there are no domestic shipping methods listed for the USPS calculated shipping.

Thanks for your information regarding your experience with the USPS timing out during the holidays. I had been lead to believe it didn't happen that often and I've had limited experience with the calculated shipping. Almost all my orders have been based on the shipping matrix. I'm glad to have the additional information and I know you have had a lot of experience with the USPS calculated shipping. Very Happy I think of you every time I'm out picking and see sweaters that would be great in your store.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a box of items to a missionary about a month ago and packed them in an Avon box. The PO had me cover up all the codes, etc. that showed the types of potentially problem products that the box had originally been used for, so that brings me to my question since this is what the OP is selling as well as other sellers.

Is it legal to ship fingernail polish, etc. via the USPS?
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it would depend on the country to which you are shipping. I think some countries might have restrictions on cosmetics. Also, a box that was clearly from Avon might be more likely to "go missing".
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant even shipping fingernail polish in the states. Their concern at the PO was covering up all the codes that showed what was in the box had contents that weren't allowed in the mail (toxic, fire, explosuon hazards, etc). So if an Avon box going to the Avon dealer had to go UPS, it makes me wonder which items that the Avon (and other makeup sellers) sale are not allowed to be in the US mail.
thriftygalcollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="thecheapskirt"]Actually when that connectivity goes down, you can end up shipping to the US free as well. Anything not filled out in the matrix.

This happened to me, I did not have anything filled out in the matrix and my first sale was zero shipping. I have since gone to the USPS site and printed out the current shipping prices for all of the zones and filled in the matrix with those prices. Took a while to click, but I got it! Very Happy
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thriftygalcollectibles wrote:
thecheapskirt wrote:
Actually when that connectivity goes down, you can end up shipping to the US free as well. Anything not filled out in the matrix.

This happened to me, I did not have anything filled out in the matrix and my first sale was zero shipping. I have since gone to the USPS site and printed out the current shipping prices for all of the zones and filled in the matrix with those prices. Took a while to click, but I got it! Very Happy

Which is fine, but USPS domestic zones 1-8 cannot be entered into the shipping matrix. If you use the matrix for Priority Mail then you need to average the values that you get from USPS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: