eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Buyer used wrong shipping address
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RetrocadeGames

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Buyer used wrong shipping address Reply with quote

I had a buyer purchase something from my store. I processed the order using PayPal and the shipping address included with it. The buyer contacted me and said she never got the item because the address I used was her old address. When she created an Ecrater account she type in her new one. The package was delivered already so there was nothing I could do.

I've stated in my Terms that I only use the addresses provided by PayPal and Google Checkout for a few different reasons. I am not held accountable for the potential loss. Thus I do not want to offer a refund due to my own Terms and the Seller Protection on PayPal.

She contacted PayPal and they told me to Refund her or send another Item.

I have documentation of said delivered package and my email conversation with her.

I just wanted to know what others thought of this. Am I at fault here? Or should I discontinue my own written Business Conditions?

Last edited by RetrocadeGames on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you gave PayPal proof of delivery to the address listed on the PayPal transaction detail page, and PayPal is refunding the buyer?

Did they explain why they were not honoring their Seller Protection Policy? Was the transaction marked "eligible" on the transaction detail page?
RetrocadeGames

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to call PayPal tomorrow.
The email states that I should refund the buyer. The transaction does say "eligible" on the transaction page.

Heres what the email says:
Quote:
I was recently contacted by ___ in regards to a purchase made on May 28, 2012 for the amount of $16.00. The buyer has not received their item yet as it was sent to an old address. So we are requesting that you ship another item to the correct address or issue a refund for the full amount. Please contact the buyer directly to resolve this. Thank you for your cooperation.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really strange because it so goes against PP's written policies.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RetrocadeGames wrote:
I'm going to call PayPal tomorrow.
The email states that I should refund the buyer. The transaction does say "eligible" on the transaction page.

Heres what the email says:
Quote:
I was recently contacted by ___ in regards to a purchase made on May 28, 2012 for the amount of $16.00. The buyer has not received their item yet as it was sent to an old address. So we are requesting that you ship another item to the correct address or issue a refund for the full amount. Please contact the buyer directly to resolve this. Thank you for your cooperation.

When you log into PayPal, do you see an open dispute on the right sidebar ? It should be titled something like Disputes & Claims. If you do not, then I suspect shenanigans w/r/t the text you quoted above.

Also, you have not mentioned tracking. Did the item go out with tracking or USPS Delivery Confirmation ? Without that, you have almost no way to prove the current status of the package sent. Eligible only protects you if you have delivery tracking of some form (and Signature Confirmation for high value items).
RetrocadeGames

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I log into paypal there's no despute or anything. The tracking info for the package states it was delivered to the given address. This whole thing doesn't seem right.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RetrocadeGames wrote:
When I log into paypal there's no despute or anything. The tracking info for the package states it was delivered to the given address. This whole thing doesn't seem right.

You do what you think is right, but at this point it sounds like someone is trying to scam you into a refund and/or a 2nd copy.

Do you know how to view the email with full headers ? Might be instructive to look at where the email came from, to see if it even remotely looks like it came from PayPal.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't they see the little s at the end of http in the letter? I've been getting numerous scam and phishing emails lately from 'PP". Since I'm generally on site at least once a day with PP and since the letters end up in my junk folder unlike my regular notifications from them, I ignore.

This does sound fishy and like the buyer is trying to pull a fast one. WAS the address in ecrater different than the PP one? Why do people go to all this trouble for $16. Scamming I mean.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling PayPal seems to be the best solution. I've found that speaking with a live person there cuts through a lot of "red tape" and gets things fixed.
RetrocadeGames

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called PayPal. I described the issue and the email I got. Basically I'm in the right and made all the best judgment calls. If the email I received is indeed real (which the Rep I talked to believes), its just a reminder to take up this issue with the customer. Which I already did.

I do feel a little guilty not providing a refund. But again, its not my fault they used the wrong address.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not provide refunds due to things that are not my error such as someone who orders something not knowing their own address. If the item is returned to me, I will reship with a payment of another S&H charge plus a bit more to cover the PP fees for the charge. If the item doesn't show back up here, the customer is out of luck.

I expect my customers to be adults and I treat them as such, which means they should know their own address. How would I, since I don't know them? I do however ship to whatever address they would like something to go if they ask in writing. Some of my patterns go directly to seamstresses so even if the PP address is right for the customer it needs a different address. That is just part of my customer service. If the address they gave me is wrong however, same TOS apply.

I don't think you should feel the least bit of guilt in this matter. Customers are given serveral checks along the purchase route to say this is the wrong address and change it. If they don't, why is that YOUR problem?

Last edited by MoonwishesStore on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Moonwishes. No need to feel guilty.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Buyer used wrong shipping address Reply with quote

RetrocadeGames wrote:
I had a buyer purchase something from my store. I processed the order using PayPal and the shipping address included with it. The buyer contacted me and said she never got the item because the address I used was her old address. When she created an Ecrater account she type in her new one. The package was delivered already so there was nothing I could do.

I've stated in my Terms that I only use the addresses provided by PayPal and Google Checkout for a few different reasons. I am not held accountable for the potential loss. Thus I do not want to offer a refund due to my own Terms and the Seller Protection on PayPal.

She contacted PayPal and they told me to Refund her or send another Item.

I have documentation of said delivered package and my email conversation with her.

I just wanted to know what others thought of this. Am I at fault here? Or should I discontinue my own written Business Conditions?
How you conduct your business is your decision, but you did ask what others thought. This case falls in a gray area in my mind. Depending on the cost, I might issue a refund in the hopes of future business from a return customer. It sounds like either the customer or seller (or both) thought they were creating an eCrater account with the current address. (There are no buyer accounts on eCrater.)

First, the only place you tell your customer that you will only ship to the address provided by the payment company is way down on the terms page. There is nothing to make that information stand out to the customer. Most customers don't read the terms pages or if they look at them I doubt they would stay with you long enough to get down far enough for that information. Important info like that should be much earlier in your terms AND listed on your FAQ page. A lot of people do not realize the importance of having their shipping address match the address on their credit card billing. When a customer moves, it's easy to overlook changing an address.

Second, you are sent a notice from eCrater that has the address they listed when they completed the eCrater checkout if they pay by PayPal. If that address is different from the PayPal confirmed address, that should have been a red flag of a possible problem. I would have contacted the customer regarding the conflict in addresses before I shipped. How you handled the info you received back from the customer would be up to you, but at least you and the buyer would be aware of difference prior to shipping. Some sellers here will cancel the order and hold the item until the customer can get their address changed on PayPal. Once the address has been changed and the customer has emails back, an invoice can be sent for the item. This isn't a problem with Google because we only see the address provided by Google and the customer can enter a different shipping address on Google.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I buy something from Amazon or Target or another online retailer and I give them a different address to ship, I don't go back later and say oh, I know I told you to ship it here, but I really wanted it shipped there. Long after it's been mailed.

No, if I make that mistake, I re-order it and have it shipped to the correct address.

It's called personal responsibility. I'm not one to go around in life blaming all my mistakes on other people. Obviously not everyone thinks that way.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and to say this isn't a problem on Google is wrong. I've had buyers use the wrong address in Google and then leave me bad feedback for shipping it using that address. They usually email me 3-4 days after it's shipped telling me the "correct" address, then get angry when I tell them it's already gone out in the mail to the address they specified. Fortunately ecrater removed or changed the feedback left in those instances once I was able to show them that I did everything reasonably possible, so I don't think I'm a bad seller. Your opinion will vary, I'm sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: