eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

The Categories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewrightbiz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: The Categories Reply with quote

After all this time, I'm still confused about some of the categories.
Such as, "the root".

I went to look at my shoes listed and only half were showing in the categories.

Explain to me, what is the "root" and what is the difference between "the root" and add a category?
If the root is Accessories Shoes Purses, and I add "Shoes" and add Handbags Purses .... is it necessary to "add category" to the root?

This is confusing....how the products show up.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two category arrangements, one within specific to your store, and one master category list from Google, that eCRATER supplies to you. Every item you list participates in both category systems.

The one that is specific to your store is organized like a tree. 'root' is the only basic category that an empty store begins with. All of your top level categories will belong to root, the sub-categories belong to each of those, and so forth.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at your categories.

The ones that start at the far left of the list are your root categories.
Those indented are subcategories and these are not all correct.

For instance your first root category is accessories, shoes, hats etc. and under that you have a sub category of shoes. You also have several handbags but have no sub cat for bags/purses.

Then you have a root cat that is clothing and your only sub cat is clothing. If you are going to do sub cats for clothing you might want to break it down into men, women, boys, girls, babies. Or you might want to break it down into types like skirts, blouses, jeans, sweaters, coats.

I don't put anything in my root categories if they have subs. The root category will show the total of all the items in the subs. If you have no subs then all your items will be in the root cats.

Warning: if you are going to move items to different categories, do not delete the category till you have finished moving the items out or you will lose all your listings.

By the way, your shoes are in your root category for accessories.
Your shoes sub cat only has handbags. Just click on the pencil by the sub cat SHOES, change it to HANDBAGS and save. Then create a new sub cat for shoes and move your shoes from the root cat Accessories to the new sub cat shoes.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look at other seller's categories to see how they did something.

Basically the categories are the same as the old fashioned filing cabinet where a Root category might be utilities and as sub categories, gas, electric, water, sewer. Another root might be credit cards, with the subs being Discover, Mastercard, Visa, etc.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I don't have every piece of clothing in every size, I chose to sort my categories by size, then by what it is (pants, tops, etc).

Just something to think about to make it easy for a buyer to find something that works for them.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You create sub-categories for your items that are relevant to the root (or main) categories. It looks like you've got the right idea, you just need to straighten out a few of the things that Maggie Cat was refering to. By the way, I refer to a root as a MAIN category instead of a root category, it's less confusing for others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: