eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Selling w/ dropshippers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meljensdesigns

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Selling w/ dropshippers Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

First of all, please ignore my current ecrater shop as it has nothing to do with the questions I have. I plan on setting up a different shop.

Anyway... I know I might catch some heck for this, but I am very interested in setting up a shop with World of Products items.

I fully realize that this is a HUGE dropshipping company with products that are literally everywhere.

I *do* want to select products that are things I personally like (i.e. going with a country theme), not just slap anything and everything into my shop. I also plan on writing my own descriptions as best as I can to add a touch of personal flair.

My biggest question (and concern/fear) is if anyone else here has been successful with dropshipping through companies that offer their items everywhere. I know I will have quite a bit of competition. BUT this is something I have wanted to do for about the past 6 years. I am really drawn to country-type items, and the products I've seen are things I really like.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope no one here thinks poorly of me for being interested in such a saturated product line.

Melissa
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried drop shipping but the only way I would was if I found a really great product, that was reasonably priced, that I could promote and blog about with authenticity, and had little exposure on the net.

There is a reason some drop shippers have tons of exposure on the net and it is not because their sellers are getting so rich. More likely it is because they have a huge and successful marketing campaign to draw sellers, few of whom understand marketing and all of whom think it is an easy way to pay the rent without working.

Drop shippers photos are so familiar on the internet that I have an idea most people's eyes just glaze over and they become invisible to people searching for something with the same key words.

Assuming you are American, realize that supporting these companies is supporting foreign made products and you are feeding another economy, not the one you depend on for your daily needs.
meljensdesigns

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your honesty. Smile It is really appreciated.

I do realize that they most likely come from foreign locations. I guess I really love some of the products I've seen. I know they are everywhere, but I am really drawn to them.

I am continuing to research other venues for dropshipping to see if there are other companies out there that I like.

Anyway, thanks again for hopping in. Smile
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will note that if anyone could do it, sounds like you could. I think one of the worst things I have seen with drop shippers is an almost total lack of understanding what they are selling, they list this huge mishmash of stuff, copy all the same descriptions everyone else has, don't do anything to personalize their listings and three days after opening the 'store' wonder why they don't have any sales! Rolling Eyes Yeah I wonder why too! Then of course they have no idea how to do attributes, how to market or promote their goods, etc. nor do they truly understand on line selling. Someone somewhere promised them easy money is all I can figure, but I would think selling drop shipper stuff is about the hardest money to make.

You, at least, want to limit your items to a narrow focus that you yourself are interested in, which would allow you to sell more products like country candles, and things like quilts on consignment, etc. You could make a whole country store and be able to promote and market what you are doing. I truly believe in niche selling and marketing and with some real thought and not trying to chase prices down to the ground you might be able to make it. There are plenty of people out there with money in their pockets that are willing to buy goods, so no reason to work hard for $1 profit.

My only question is, Is country still 'in'? Will there be enough customers? In the craft arena, it seems that country has passed its heyday and retro is more prominent now. IMHO Just something to think about.
meljensdesigns

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not country is 'in' is not something that I'm worried about. I know that there are trends that come and go, and things that are more popular now than they were yesterday - but I know I am passionate about country things and that's what makes me confident. Smile

I do already have another business that I run, so I am not too concerned about making big bucks if I opened a country-themed shop with dropshipped items from a wholesaler. I would do it more out of my love for little shops and cute country things. It would most definitely be a hobby... something to say that I at least tried, rather than wondering if I'd enjoy it.

I think my biggest fear still lies with my interest being in World of Products. I know their stuff is EVERYWHERE, but I really do like some of their products. Still, I worry that if I opened a facebook page and/or blog (etc.) and shared products that I love (and why) that people would shut me down, pointing out that it's just something that 5,000 other stores already have.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it help to hear that I have never heard of World of Products Very Happy but then I'm not much of a shopper as I have all I can do to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table! I think you have the enthusism to make it work from the sounds of things though.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't World of Products the company that claims to search the world for items for you, a phrase that is repeated in each home and about page of sellers using their company as a drop shipper. I think I am wrong. Just Googled them and it doesn't seem to be the same company. But I didn't see any country items although I didn't look very long.

I have a question for mj. Have you ever owned some of the products you love so much? If not I suggest you buy a few for your own use to see if the quality is there. You don't sound like the type of person who would want to get behind inferior products.
aspencounty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "World of Products" I think this is what you are talking about. If so, here is one digital version of their catalog. Absolutely gorgeous products...best of luck!

http://www.worldofproducts.com/ecatalog.asp?currentPage=2&catId=2011_fall_73500
meljensdesigns

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

There are actually a lot of different wholesaling companies out there that offer the products. That's why the market is SO saturated. I do believe one of the biggest companies is SMC, if any of you have heard of that one.

I have been watching the products and different wholesaler companies for about 6 years now. I also finally found one that seems legit, and I have been in communication with them.

Maggie, I think I will definitely try ordering one of the products to see how it ships and what its quality is.

Basically I think my overall thought on selling in a saturated niche is the same thing as so many other products out there - Avon, Scentsy, you name it... I think it's the person behind the products that sells it.

I'm hoping I can be that person, lol!

Thank you all for your continued responses and advice. Smile
dehartconnections

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunrise & hotbuy4u are also very good wholesale merchandise companies
meljensdesigns

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for those suggestions Smile Have you used them before?
dehartconnections

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I do all the time
ohmygracie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to find a drop shipper you feel comfortable with that doesn't treat you as another number. You also need a drop shipper that's reliable, will the product be shipped out right away, will it be packed correctly, etc. If you have a question, will they get back to me asap. Your customer may have a question, you may not have an answer, and you're hoping that your drop shipper will answer quickly, so not to have the customer waiting a day or two. You want to be able to pick-up the phone and get a "live" friendly and informative person.

Have you tried googling "country drop shippers", or "country decor drop shippers" or what ever country your interested in (just add drop shipper at the end)? You may find some really small companies out there that can give you true one-on-one customer service. Sometimes you're smaller sites may have wholesale. It doesn't hurt to ask, will you do drop shipping? Going with a small company may help in not having that product being saturated all over the web. Gives you something different and unique to offer people.

Yes, you still need to work hard with drop shippers. You need to market and advertise your products just like everyone else does. These are YOUR products to take and run with, not THEIR products to take and run with. With drop shippers, their products become your products.

I'm not saying the "big" drop shippers are impossible to work with. There are good ones and there are bad ones. Some have high monthly fees, some have low monthly fees, some have no fees at all. Just start googling, you may be amazed as to what you'll find.

You also want to make sure that they "blind" ship. Their name appears no where, only your company name and your name appears. Although some use their address instead of yours in case it needs to be returned, so it returns to them and not you. That's their proof as to why a refund is being asked for.

Good Luck to you. You sound like someone who could take this and run with it.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice.

I've always been uncomfortable with drop shipping because I'm too much of a "control freak" about the quality of service I provide.

If I did try drop shipping, I would do so under a different name unconnected to the stores I have so carefully built a quality reputation with.

And I'd have to learn to let go and not care so much about having happy customers, timely shipments, etc. A lot of people can do that--they don't put as much of themselves in what they do. It probably is a good thing to have that ability. Less stress.

If you can do that, more power to you!
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecheapskirt wrote:
Good advice.

I've always been uncomfortable with drop shipping because I'm too much of a "control freak" about the quality of service I provide.

If I did try drop shipping, I would do so under a different name unconnected to the stores I have so carefully built a quality reputation with.

And I'd have to learn to let go and not care so much about having happy customers, timely shipments, etc. A lot of people can do that--they don't put as much of themselves in what they do. It probably is a good thing to have that ability. Less stress.

If you can do that, more power to you!

And I'd have different payment accounts, emails etc so I couldn't be dragged down if the drop shipper failed at their end and I ended up with a bunch of chargebacks and negative feedback. Once you have built a reputation in this business you protect it like it is one of your young.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: