eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Paypal return link

View previous topic :: View next topic  
meljensdesigns

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Paypal return link Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I have a business paypal account for an off-site website that I run. It has API set up to 'ping' that website.

I am worried that it will be impossible to set up paypal for any shop I have here on ecrater. I am thinking of two that I would like to set up - is this possible with the current paypal account that I have?

Any advice would be great, thank you. Smile
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT use the same PayPal account.

I had a similar issue, and it caused me a LOT of problems with ecrater.

Just use a different PayPal account with ecrater.

---

actually let me amend that, it only caused a problem once I tried to change my other website and the API. prior to that the two played along nicely.

At any rate, keeping them separate has been much easier since.
meljensdesigns

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick response.

My trouble is I do not have a bank account. I primarily use Paypal. My main (and only) Paypal account is linked to my husband's bank account - our only bank account (and yes I do have my name on it if I absolutely have to use it).

So with that said, I am not sure if it's possible to set up another paypal account. Do you have any suggestions for that, since you've set up more than one?
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more than one bank account.

Credit Unions are great places to get a bank account with very little cost (often they give you free checking). Same with smaller local banks.

If you don't have one near you, I've heard this one http://www.pbparis.com/checking.aspx is easy to work with online and they offer a free checking account with no minimum balance or fees. I've not used them personally though.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I use the PayPal Debit Card so I actually don't even *use* one of the bank accounts I have associated with my PayPal account. I just take all the funds out via the PayPal Debit Card (or use it as a credit card to get the 1% cash back). I have no checks, etc. It sort of sits there with a nominal amount in it from the day I opened it.
meljensdesigns

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well shoot. I was wanting my ecrater shop to be a side hobby, I'm not sure if I'd want to set up a bank account just for that.

Are there any other options, or is that pretty much it?
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you can set an account up with just a credit card. I don't do credit cards so maybe someone who does can answer that.

Or you could contact PayPal and see what they say. I think their policy is one personal account and one business account. But how they have to be set up is something they could answer.

Or, you could just use the same account and as long as you never changed your own website API info, it might be okay. Like I said, mine was fine UNTIL I changed my website info. (What happened after that was the orders never finished the PayPal checkout callback process with ecrater, so the orders looked paid on PayPals end but not on ecrater's end. So I had to manually hide each item sold, and about 300 customers could not leave feedback because ecrater didn't recognize that the payments had been made.)
meljensdesigns

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you're saying is ecrater needs an API for paypal? I do already have a return page & API set up in paypal for my existing website. I haven't used ecrater for a few years, and back then I think things were more manual.

But it's been awhile. Smile

By the way, thank you so much for continuing to hop in here and help me out!
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what your aversion to bank accounts is other than fees. Not all are corrupt. Try ING.com. They do not charge fees and pay interest pathetic as it is. It is all done on line. You could have PP transfer money to that account and then register your husband's account so you can access by having ING transfer the money to your husband's account or if you just want to keep it as a nest egg, leave it there. I think they also have a debit card but I have not used that service.

Although I use them primarily as a savings account, I have had excellent experience with them. Great customer service by email or phone.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had both my own site and ecrater working okay with just the settings set for my own site in PayPal. Only when I changed it because I switched my own website did it go wrong. (I had to put a "fake" website address in my IPN notification URL area to enable them, then turn them off.) So you might be okay. Just be aware if you ever change it that it can get messed up and its a hassle.

Probably you should talk to PayPal directly. I got the runaround for a month trying to get someone there to help me, but eventually I did find someone.
meljensdesigns

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both so much, you have both shared quite a bit of helpful information. Smile

Maggie, I'm not opposed to a bank account. How I have things now is just how it's been since I moved states and closed my old accounts before getting married. Being a work at home mom, I try to be careful with how many things I have going. Smile If I have to open an account, I will, but I want to give it some serious consideration when thinking about a new hobby! I'm sure you know what I mean.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a near militant feminist. I can't urge you strongly enough to have your own bank account even if it is just for your hobby money. It doesn't have to be a complication if you don't want it to be. I have multiple accounts at every bank I use.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Maggie on this one. I have accounts at two banks and one bank has 5 different accounts including our mortage. I also have an ING account both a checking and 2 savings account and they give you a debit card. No fees. Easy to use. All my PP money gets dumped into my ING account. Very easy, and yes dear girl, may an older woman advise you, no matter how much you love your hubby, have some accounts in your own name. You may not think you will ever be divorced, but it can happen and even worse if somehow he dies you may find yourself unable to access ANY account you have in common until the estate is settled, so for you and any children you may have it is important to have some finances in your name even if it is hobby money. I maintain all my accounts on line for the most part and pop in to see the bank tellers ever couple of weeks so it is easy, but then I handle all the money which suits hubby and I just fine. I would go nuts if I wasn't an important part in the financials of our household!

By the way, one of the reasons I ended up with the ING account to dump the PP money into was somewhere back in the dark ages of PP I had an account under a different email address and it was connected to my bank. then I wasn't buying and selling on line for a while, got married, changed my email address and suddenly I couldn't use PP with the new email address and the old bank account. Rather than do hands stands to figure it all out, I opened the ING account (they gave me $75 to do so) and things have been happy ever since Very Happy
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: