eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How do you remove gold fillings from teeth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: How do you remove gold fillings from teeth? Reply with quote

Ok, yes the teeth are already removed from the person's mouth. And yes, it is kind of gross! Shocked However, there were two dental scrap gold-encased teeth left in an old house we recently acquired, found in the medicine cabinet of all places. No other body parts have been found. Laughing They are fairly large, and one has the tooth still attached and one has tooth material inside the gold. These appear to me to be more than just fillings, as they cover the entire top of the tooth.

How do I remove the tooth material, or where should I take them to have them cleaned and correctly weighed for gold value? I don't know how to sell them as they are. With the price of gold, I would think there might be some value here?

Thanks for any advice or discussion on just another one of those weird things that an antique collector comes across.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take a hammer to the teeth. Scrap dealers don't care if dental gold is smashed or squeeze them in a vise if you have one. Home owners were probably keeping them for the same reason you wish to retrieve the gold from them.
vintageinterestnmore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you luck upon these teeth more often than one would think. We found a few in my aunt's items. I assumed she had to have them replaced or when she had partials put in she kept the old teeth. For sentimental value I'm sure. lol.
Kind of gross, but again kind of interesting.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have a hard time crunching a tooth, eeeeeuuuuew.............

Be like scraping nails on chalk board, but worse !!!

Maybe put some earplugs in, then crunch them
hocadobi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you Google this question, you will find many links on this subject.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hocadobi wrote:
If you Google this question, you will find many links on this subject.

The stuff you can find on Google. Then again the stuff you can't find, like our items for sale. Laughing
antiques-collectibles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, the last time I sold gold teeth to my scrap guy, he counted them as 16 kt. It was a couple of years back I think, and he paid $42.70 per pennyweight. I wrote his prices down but forgot to date them.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a gold filling removed a couple of years ago to get a crown. My dentist, a great guy, got it all out in one piece because he knew I was going to scrap it. He even autoclaved it for me. I brought it to the scrap dealer and as antiques said, dental gold is 16kt. I got about $70.00 for it.

While I was chatting with the man weighing it, he told me that they do get teeth in with gold fillings and he does have to chip out the gold.

So I guess, call your local scrap dealer and ask anout it.
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok am I missing something or can someone explain to me
What this has to do with selling on Ecrater?
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you remove gold fillings from teeth? Reply with quote

vintagemoonbeams wrote:
How do I remove the tooth material, or where should I take them to have them cleaned and correctly weighed for gold value? I don't know how to sell them as they are. With the price of gold, I would think there might be some value here?

As mentioned in my original question, I am wanting to know how to prepare/clean the gold teeth in order to sell them. I see dental gold listed on Ebay. I thought it might be something to list on my ecrater store, but maybe not.

Thanks to all those who gave helpful comments and discussion.

If this question it not appropriate in this thread, I am sure it can be removed as deemed necessary.
dragonturtle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - Dental gold is typically 16 karat. What you are paid on it will fluctuate with the gold market which changes constantly just like stocks. Modified of course by the particular shops overhead and desired profit margin. ALWAYS ask for more. Int he midwest, except some bad neighborhoods, you will almost always get more from an established pawn shop than from one of the million cash for gold places that are cashing in these days.
I've just crushed the tooth with a pair of pliers or channel locks, they usually just disintegrate but some really old one were made a lot better and a hammer will barely do it. If you cant get it just let the people you sell it to deal with it. They will break it down to get an accurate weight. If not you don't want to deal with them. On the whole you won't get more for making it all nice and clean and shiny. it's all about the weight of the gold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: