eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Important FBI notice to all computer users.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YourRainyDayBookStore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Important FBI notice to all computer users..... Reply with quote

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL COMPUTER USERS ...

FBI to shut down rogue DNS servers next week. You would not know if you are infected. Check your computer to find out if your computer has been infected with malware that modifies a computer's Domain Name Service (DNS) settings and directs computer to receive potentially improper results from rogue DNS servers hosted by the criminals. The criminals were captured and their operation shut down, but if infected your configuration settings may not have been changed back.

You can check yourself by going to: www.dns-ok.us/ If your computer screen is green, it will show your computer is "good." If your screen turns red, that is "bad" and you will be redirected with what to do to fix the problem. Next week the FBI will shut down the servers used by the hackers; that means if your computer is infected and you do not take steps to protect yourself NOW, you will lose all access to the Internet.

Pass along the information. If your computer is infected when the FBI shuts down the rogue domain servers next week, you will lose all acces to Internet service.

Richard Cunha
Comp-Tu, Computer Technical Support and Consulting
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
viewfinders

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm green.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too!

For those of you who have not checked yet, the whole process takes like 2 seconds.
YardSaleGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am green, and will pass this along. Thank you.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this on the news last night, and it is on the up and up. No offecnse to you RaineyDay, but I see so many things on line, I like double verification on things like this. My MIL loves to send out and forward all those 'Kawtion' emails and of course in the process lets my name get mixed into emails for spammers Rolling Eyes

Oh yes, I'm green too!
AmericanEdge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Important FBI notice to all computer users..... Reply with quote

YourRainyDayBookStore wrote:
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL COMPUTER USERS ...

FBI to shut down rogue DNS servers next week. You would not know if you are infected. Check your computer to find out if your computer has been infected with malware that modifies a computer's Domain Name Service (DNS) settings and directs computer to receive potentially improper results from rogue DNS servers hosted by the criminals. The criminals were captured and their operation shut down, but if infected your configuration settings may not have been changed back.

You can check yourself by going to: www.dns-ok.us/ If your computer screen is green, it will show your computer is "good." If your screen turns red, that is "bad" and you will be redirected with what to do to fix the problem. Next week the FBI will shut down the servers used by the hackers; that means if your computer is infected and you do not take steps to protect yourself NOW, you will lose all access to the Internet.

Pass along the information. If your computer is infected when the FBI shuts down the rogue domain servers next week, you will lose all acces to Internet service.

Richard Cunha
Comp-Tu, Computer Technical Support and Consulting

Thanks for the heads up. This is the first I have heard about this problem.

The link to check is starting to become overwhelmed with traffic.
Here is an alternate link to check your computer. http://www.dns-ok.gov.au/

This was set up by the Australian government.

If you get a green screen indicating your computer is OK, it may be a false result. This is a link to an FBI document describing the problem with instructions to check the problem manually with the DNS server numbers that will be shut down. http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/november/malware_110911/DNS-changer-malware.pdf
The problem can affect your wireless router settings and other wireless devices if you didn't change the default login information.

Knowledge is power. Hope this helps.

A good weekend to all.
ralph
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a green background too. Until now, I wasn't even aware of what you are talking about but, I don't watch cable TV so I only see the news that is online and I haven't seen any stories about that yet.
bargainsurfing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm green too.
SUPERPLUSHNSTUFF

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RainyDay! I was just gonna wait and see, hahaha! Didn't trust the links being posted but saw this and checked. If it's legit I'm cool green Very Happy
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never do this type of thing.
Apparently it was all fake as no one I know had an issue
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigtall I think the major hit was in Australia but less than 1 million US computers were at risk. Not sure but I think it was way less than that but it was 6 figures not 7. So you could very easily not know anyone who was affected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: