eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Inventory Location Field

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BelleAndTheYank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Inventory Location Field Reply with quote

As we expand listings approaching 1000 items soon, item location is going to get harder to manage. If there were a blank field, hidden from pubilc view to put an item location in the listing, it would help As there isn't, wondering how others manage besides keeping a spreadsheet list. Thank you.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Inventory Location Field Reply with quote

BelleAndTheYank wrote:
As we expand listings approaching 1000 items soon, item location is going to get harder to manage.

Do you mean location of the items in your possession? (As opposed to item location in your store)

BelleAndTheYank wrote:
If there were a blank field, hidden from pubilc view to put an item location in the listing, it would help As there isn't, wondering how others manage besides keeping a spreadsheet list. Thank you.

This is just my opinion, but I don't expect eCrater to help me keep track of where my products are in my possession...and I haven't seen any feature like that in the other selling venues I'm on (which is not to say they don't exist). I use spreadsheets for various purposes, but not to keep track of my items, tho one could certainly be used for that purpose. I have 700-some items currently...and I have them stored in a logical way with bins and on shelves that makes sense to me, so I know where they are.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got over 1800 items and know where they all are. But I do have a large area to keep them in and when I store them, I have certain sections for each category. And my items are fairly small, so I can store a lot of them in separate category plastic bins.
MysteryLaneBooks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it have to be "hidden from pubilc view"?

I put a code at the bottom of the listing. For example, "PB1" means that the paperback is in box 1.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a database for all our inventory that is listed, but what we sell just naturally arranges itself by company name and item number. Even though some item numbers are repeated over the years, they are still in the same place and easy to find, although not generally easy to access since my hubby has to pull some that are stored up to far for me to access. Since he was sick last week it is so nice to be able to pull items myself when needed. We found our first year of selling on line that we needed a database to track what we had and it was imperative to keep items in order and that works well for us.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggested that such a field be added 2 years ago ...

http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=24926
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the poster who said it is not up to eCRATER to keep track of where I hide or lose my inventory. Here are some of the ways I manage about 5000 items listed in 3 selling sites.

On eCRATER each item has an inventory number that is the last thing in the title.

At the bottom of each description is a code to which sites that particular item is on. All items are on eCRATER but only a small percentage are elsewhere. That way when I have a sale, if it is on eCRATER and the code shows it is also on another site I can go there and remove it. If it sells elsewhere, I automatically go to eCRATER to remove it.

Since I live in a small apartment, storage can be anywhere from an antique armoire to a basement locker. Items are stored in boxes or bins by type, material, etc. Where I have more than one bin of something like tablecloths, each bin is labeled with type of contents and the item numbers of the items in that particular box.

In my computer files I have a file called where its at so I can know if that particular box or bin is in the basement, my en suite store room, under the bed or where.

I have handbags stored by color and since I have a preponderance of black bags, those boxes have itemized labels.

The only downside to this is if you move and your storage facilities change. But packing and unpacking gives you a lot of opportunity to reorganize, consolidate and update your inventory lists.

My system is not nearly as good as having a room or basement you can totally dedicate to your store, but it works pretty well for me. One thing you cannot do is have your store items helter skelter in your home no matter the size or you will go crazy trying to locate things you have sold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: