eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How to delete the root category and some sub-categories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooking-symphony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: How to delete the root category and some sub-categories Reply with quote

Hello!

How do I delete the root category and some of the sub-categories?

Thanks for your reply. Smile
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think root is always there, although you may be able to change the name, I forget.

If you want to delete selected categories, just delete them. But be very careful as it deletes all the listings within them as well.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can remove root categories. I've done it ages ago. Just remember that if you are removing a category either root or sub, it takes all items with it.

Removing a root category will take out all the subs under it and the items in it. If you have empty subs you can delete them and keep the root category. If there is nothing in either the root or subs then clicking the red x for the root category should take out the whole thing.

Go to your categories in admin and click on the root you want, then click on the subs you want to delete. On the right are the edit and delete buttons. Click on the red X.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to delete a root (main) category but not the sub-cats that are underneath it, just assign each of those sub-cats as a root category temporarily and it will move them out of that main category so you can delete it. Then once deleted, you can turn those categories back into sub-cats if you want by simply moving them to a new main category.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case we are confusing you, be more specific as to what you want to do.
Do you have empty categories you want to remove?
Do you want to change the name of the category?
Do you want to delete products or just the categories?
cooking-symphony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Root category Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:
In case we are confusing you, be more specific as to what you want to do.
Do you have empty categories you want to remove?
Do you want to change the name of the category?
Do you want to delete products or just the categories?

Hello!

Thanks for your replies. Basically I have 1 root category and many sub-categories. The root category has been wrongly named in error, although the following sub-categories are OK.

I need to either remove the root categoy or rename it correctly.

Thanks for your help
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To change the name of a category, either root or sub:

In your admin click on Categories.
Click on the root category you want to rename.
On the right side wil be icons for editing or deleting.
Click on the pencil
That will bring up the title of the category and you erase the old and add your new name.
Make sure you click add or save when finished. (Don't remember which it is.)
cooking-symphony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
To change the name of a category, either root or sub:

In your admin click on Categories.
Click on the root category you want to rename.
On the right side wil be icons for editing or deleting.
Click on the pencil
That will bring up the title of the category and you erase the old and add your new name.
Make sure you click add or save when finished. (Don't remember which it is.)

Thank you very much. It worked "a treat"
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: categories Reply with quote

does anyone know how to change the root name of a category.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: categories Reply with quote

does anyone know how to change sub name of a category.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: categories Reply with quote

can we edit categories
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: categories Reply with quote

2tip3py1 wrote:
does anyone know how to change the root name of a category.
As well as your other questions.

You have added your questions onto an old 2012 thread. It is always best to either use a current thread if possible, but not to pull attention away from the original poster. Starting your own thread is best, however. Not only should you ask your questions but clarify what you want to do as it is easier to answer something if you know where someone wants to head.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with Moonwhishes that it is always better to start your own thread for your question, this one is so old and so related I don't think there will be any confusion.

There is one point of confusion shown in this thread and that is "what is the root category". The "root" category is actually the starting point for all your categories and, to the best of my knowledge, can not have the name changed. How the title of the root category will be presented to the public will depend on the template the seller is using. If you are using one of the original templates, like 2tip3py1, the title will be displayed as "Categories". If you are using one of the new templates, the title will be displayed as "All Categories".

Your primary, or level one, categories will all have the "root" as their parent category. Each level one categories can have subcategories or level two categories with the level one category as their parent category. Each level two category can have subcategories or level three categories with the level two category as their parent category.
For example:

root ..... (which will appear to the public as Categories or All Categories depending on the template used)
..| --> Books
...........| --> Fiction Books
.................. | --> Action, Adventure Books
.................. | --> Historical Books
.................. | --> Romance Books
...........| --> Non-Fiction Books
.................. | --> Craft and Hobby Books
.................. | --> History Books
..| --> DVDs
...........| --> Audio Books on DVDs
..................| --> Fiction Books on DVD
..................| --> Non-Fiction Books on DVD
.......................... | --> Craft and Hobby Books on DVD
.......................... | --> History Books on DVD
...........| --> Entertainment DVDs
.................. | --> Movies on DVD
.......................... | --> Action, Adventure DVD Movies
.......................... | --> Historical DVD Movies
.......................... | --> Romance DVD Movies
.................. | --> Games on DVD

As you can see, ALL level one categories have "root" as their parent. I added some color so you can see the different levels a little better.

Now for your questions,
1) "does anyone know how to change the root name of a category." I don't think it can be changed, but you can contact eCrater from the home page for the official answer.
2) "does anyone know how to change sub name of a category." AND
3) "can we edit categories"

In your admin, click on categories in the left navigation bar. You'll see all your Level One categories listed and you'll see the current category listed at the top as root. To the right of each category there are three icons. The "pencil" will allow you to change the name of the category, the red "x" will delete the category (see note below), and the green "file folder with a plus sign" will allow you to change the parent category of the category.
NOTE: When you delete a category, it will delete ALL listings in that category, all subcategories under that category, AND All listings in the subcategories.

If you click on a category title, the page will show the category title as the current category and will list all categories you have created under that category title. Again, if you click a category title, it will become the current category and you will see a list of all categories you've created under that category.

If you want to create a new category or subcategory, make sure the "current category" shows the correct parent category.

I always suggest you create your category structure on paper or in a text file that you can keep. It's much easier to make changes to your text file to see how it will look before you start moving categories.

There is one special category that can't be deleted, but can have the name changed and that would be the category named "my ebay". You can change the name to any thing that makes sense to you, but you can not delete this category.

Please ask if you have additional questions. Just be careful using the red X and make sure you are not deleting any listed items. You can't get them back once they are gone except by a new listing!.

Last edited by SheilaDeesPostcards on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sheila for that great explanation.

About a year ago I realized that with close to 8000 patterns listed as well as around 5000 of them being Misses patterns, I needed to get some subcategories going. If you want to look at what I am in the process of doing (I'm far from finished) check out my categories, and keep clicking on the subcategories to see how many you can do and the types of things I am trying to do. One of the things is trying to have the same subcategories for many of the main categories such as men (only they don't get a dress or skirt category LOL), misses, junior girls, etc. I think it is helping to make things easier to find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: