eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Another store suspended without even an email
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Suspended Stores
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chefivory wrote:
One way that I will suggest is that they make UPC codes mandatory and such input automatically screened before such product enters their database - this will greatly screen out any illegal or counterfeit products. There is a national database on UPC codes or EAN codes and its free to access them.

If you believe that will filter out the counterfeit products, you are misinformed. I've seen counterfeit bottles of perfume, with genuine UPC numbers on them. The only way I could tell they were counterfeit is that the perpetrators were unable to obtain the correct (and highly proprietary) typeface owned by the manufacturer. Searching with Google revealed quite a number of people seeking that particular typeface. I wonder why.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One way that I will suggest is that they make UPC codes mandatory and such input automatically screened before such product enters their database - this will greatly screen out any illegal or counterfeit products. There is a national database on UPC codes or EAN codes and its free to access them

Also certainly not much of a help to those selling used vintage items such as old teapots and just about anything made prior to the 70's that have no UPC code. If ecrater is found to have stores selling counterfeit goods the principle company could literally close down the entire site, throwing ALL of us out of work and a living.

One of the things that bothers me about your long post is your assumption that you have the right to sell wherever you want and the site owners shouldn't have rules that would restrict you. Well you don't own this site, nor is it a public company. Ecrater is a private company and thus can set it's rules as it wants and if you don't want to follow the rules, you can go elsewhere. There are lots of venues at this point to sell on and as you mentioned you even have the option of your own website or you could even set up your own selling venue with your own rules! The problem comes in when people refuse to research sites before they jump in with both feet and go to the bother of loading listings, only to find themselves suspended because they had no inkling of the rules. It is not ecraters fault that they don't know or follow the rules, it it theirs. We have had people come here and get mad because they have to sell to all 50 states, they have wanted to sell just in their home town, we have had sellers come and do everything in a foreign language ignoring the rule that all listings must be in English, We have sellers come and set up stores with non-approved payment venues, and on and on. They all whine about the same thing, that ecrater has rules that they don't like and they shouldn't have to follow them.

Whether a free site or not, ecrater is entitled to set and maintain its rules and most especially those rules that they as a small company don't have the money to fight the corporate giants if someone is caught selling fraudulent items.

You say some of us should shut up, but let me tell you, I am frustrated at attitudes like yours that you expect no rules. I am sorry that you are out of work. I am sorry that you have troubles, but do you think the rest of us are on some gravy train? We found and followed the rules ecrater set up. I find them much less onerous than ebay's rules for sure. I follow the rules, I sell my products and I am happy. I am especially happy that ecrater weeds out the bad sellers and those that don't follow the rules because that sets up a safety net around those of us that do. Every potential customer that comes here and gets scammed by a bad seller (those ecrater hasn't caught yet) is a buyer lost forever to other ecrater sellers.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting back to the original poster's predicament

I agree with Moonwishes about this in OP's Terms

"Returns Policy
This Item is Brand New. Items may be marked not for individual sale."

If it is marked not for individual sale, then it cannot be sold individually.

That might be part of the problem.

Also many French manufacturers are very sensitive to people who are not actual dealers selling French products online. A lot of your perfumes are French. They might have complained to eCrater.
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the notion of UPCs being terribly overrated - I have records that were made last year with no UPC code, neither physically on the item nor virtually in the national database. They were made, distributed and sold outside of any corporate infrastructure and have no need for barcodes (not to mention that UPCs are cost-prohibitive to very small manufacturers). And remember the reseller that was printing out his own UPC stickers to scam Target on Legos? How about authors who self-publish through an outlet like LuLu where ISBNs are optional? UPCs, EANs, ISBNs, etc. are just not the be-all end-all answer that they're made out to be. Many in the underground arts community even actively avoid them, in fact.

@ChefIvory, I agree with your original distain at being suspended without notice - many others have suggested this change, and sympathized for not being informed about it or guided through it. Generally though, once a seller contacts the Ecrater team, they are very helpful in getting things fixed. I'm amazed that your wife actually got an email before a suspension - this is the first time I've heard such a story. The fact that contact was made first is a big step forward, IMO. Almost 900 scans in one day is pretty unreasonable, but you've got to understand that this is more leeway than anyone else has gotten. Your downtime will be greatly reduced no matter how long it takes to scan your receipts; some sellers don't even notice the suspension for days or weeks... at least you got a "heads-up" to get started on resolving this.

However, some of your other points I think are way off base. Shipping an item in 5 days is more than reasonable - that's a whole business week. Don't you expect an item to be shipped within that timeframe when you buy online? I know I do. And I also agree with the prevailing sentiment that items should not be listed for sale if they're not in stock and ready to ship. It's just good business practice, and an issue of common courtesy. Just like we expect them to have money in their account when they buy from us, they should expect us to have an item in our hands when we offer it for sale. You speak of contingencies: what if you never receive the item? What if you sell 7 teapots, but 3 of them are crushed? Should three customers wait even longer for you to reorder, wait for the master shipment, and then reship to them? This policy has nothing to do with drop shipping, unless your drop shipper is out of stock. It just asks that you honestly represent your available inventory.

And your comparison between the Ecrater and Google business models really doesn't play out - Google offers so many services for free because they make billions selling information gleaned from their users. Their services are just a vehicle to gather data, which has been their real business model since their inception. There is nothing democratic or altruistic about them. "Freedom of trade with bottlenecks is communism" could also apply to the new Google Shopping - I know I feel bottlenecked by the new pay-to-play. And (just because I have a pet peeve about incorrectly used tags like this) communism is not bottlenecked free trade. It is "no free trade", with communal distribution. When a seller has to prove they can legally sell a name brand item, it is the brand who've created these restraints, not the venue. Being angry with Ecrater is just shooting the messenger.
chefivory

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point has been made, and truly If I am drawing this type of response from you then I have done justice to your intelligence.

eCrater is a growing company and need to change its procedures. They need to figure out how to do things to save people time and money. Many people on this forum are educated; they can contribute ideas that can help move this company forward. The fact that a certain way appears Ok does not make it Ok. We must avail ourselves the opportunity to learn

I mentioned about using UPC codes to eliminate frauds and a few people countered the option with their primitive stance. I got the idea from Amazon and it works very well. When company's write Amazon to complain about a product, the merchant is permitted to remove the product or Amazon will remove the product without closing down a whole store. You seem to not get it - that eCrater is closing down stores because of 1 or 2 product issues
In my situation they requested information about 3 products, I produced receipts showing that I have been doing business with the companies for over 10 years; they still suspended the site. You have to understand that my response is due to the original post here; infact I will urge you to read posts from other suspended merchants - and you will find that the lack of communication between ecrater and the suspended merchants is lacking. If a merchant is depending on their ecrater store for a living, they become doomed and lose sales because no one informed them.

I will suggest that ecrater develop SURVEYS to begin gathering information on how to improve the quality of their service. The best teacher for them are the subscribers of their service. Listen to the merchants and see performance improve. I have heard of EBAY mentioned on this forum and infact eCrater allows you to import your store goods from EBAY. EBAY does not have this demonic redtapes and yet they have succeeded. EBAY does not ask you for receipts from suppliers. I understand people here calling eCrater "small people" but they need to grow up.

Honestly, this is a situation that I know that I am right. The majority cannot always be right - If you support eCrater in this debate then you are kissing their skinny GLUTEUS MINIMA Rolling Eyes Stand for the truth and lets help them become giants like Amazon - of course some of you kissers will start paying monthly fees (meeeeow!).

Is eCrater FREE LUNCH in America, Hmmmm Rolling Eyes

They wanna see my receipts so they can deduce who my suppliers are? - that's smart. Knowing my suppliers kills the competition that I bring to the table. I dont want you to know my suppliers because I am afraid you will be become a competition (whistle blower Evil or Very Mad ) - that's why I suggest the idea of UPC codes - got it

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND MAY YOU RECEIVE A DOUBLE PORTION FOR ALL YOUR TROUBLES IN THE YEAR 2013. AND MAY ECRATER RISE TO BECOME "BIG PEOPLE" in 2013 (gotta kiss a little bit too folks)
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because ecrater hold stores to a higher standard the ebay, don't knock them down. They just want your receipts to know that it is legitimate, that is all. I think they chose to close down a whole store because if you are willing to sell one knock off, there probably more in the store. Just because you have been using one supplier for 10+ years, doesn't automatically make them legit, I am not saying they are, or are not. They don't want to "knock put more competition". The more stores here, the more chances they have to make money. They just don't want one person setting up identical shops.

Yes, they also suspend stores that aren't following the few rules here. They are spelled out and every shop agrees to follow them when opening up. And not getting an email is one of the rules. (Right up near the top) They are more then willing to answer any inquiry about the suspension.
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, never mind. Good luck on your private domain (you might find it to be even more work than maintaining a store here).

Can I make one genuine request: If you're not going to reinstate your store, then please delete it. Not only does it detract from current sellers, but it will work against any SEO for your revived private domain.
ecrater-moon
forum admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

em
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Suspended Stores
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: