eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

what is the optimal photo size?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinfobooks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: what is the optimal photo size? Reply with quote

Just spent 30 minutes trying to find out what the optimal photo size is and I give up. This is basic information that you would expect to find in the store set up section but I cannot find it. Searching the forums seems to bring up hundreds of unrelated topics.
I seem to recall that at least one dimension needed to be 500 px or greater but what is the maximum allowed?
Thanks.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Misty4m

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solutions to Common Questions - IMAGES - Logo Makers

http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=2097&start=0
msinfobooks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: optimal ecrater photo size Reply with quote

I had already followed all of the links you sent before posting my question - none of them answer it. I would like to know the optimal size for ecrater photos. Thanks.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been here several years and I check the forum almost everyday. I've never seen the information you are requesting. Photos that are too small will not zoom. Photos that are too big will only zoom to a set image no matter how large. I found the info for myself by looking at other sellers who used a size I liked and using the same size. Currently I try to keep photo under 800px for height or width and that seems to work for me.

I had the numbers written down at one time and then it seemed that eCrater was allowing larger images. Since eBay now requires photos be at least 500 px on the longest side, I make sure all new photos are at least that large in case I want to place something on hold on eCrater and try a short term auction.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually around 400 x 400 is best. Not too big, not too small. But if you are going for a huge photo try resizing them up to around 650 x 650. My photos are huge. My camera automatically sizes them to between 600 and 700. I don't bother resizing them down either unless needed (for use on the forums) because they turn out big and when my buyers click "zoom" underneath my photos, the blown up version is as big as the entire computer screen (or almost as big).

I've heard other sellers say that you cannot upload a 650 x 650 photo to ecrater but, that's a lie. I do it all the time.
Misty4m

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: optimal ecrater photo size Reply with quote

msinfobooks wrote:
I had already followed all of the links you sent before posting my question - none of them answer it. I would like to know the optimal size for ecrater photos. Thanks.

Sorry about that, I agree with other poster about the size. I normally size mine 500 x 500 or a little bigger if the photo don't blur from the larger size.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 x 500 is a good size. If your images are not square (same size in both height and width), you may want to look for an app to re-size them as needed.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted two photos yesterday so I pulled up their measurements. I had no trouble posting them.

One was 668 x 927 pixels and the other 763 x 954 . The important thing is both were under 100KB. anything bigger than 100KB seems to get kicked out.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine in this store are generally 800x800. On ebay the same photos are 1000x1000, but when I tried to use the same images here, I noticed that ecrater was doing a poor job of compressing red items. They would look very pixelized with jpeg artifacts in them. I found if I resized them myself in Photoshop they looked better.

My other store uses a wide, rather than square, format (because that works best in my blog, and thd blog is primary, the store is secondary and just used for checkout). It's 760something by 540someting I think (I have the exact dimensions saved in Phoyoshop) but as long as the majority of the item appears in the center, they look fine in the thumbnails.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 700 X 700. It works well for upsizing in Zoom.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: