eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Charges for marketplace sales
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hartmannbooks wrote:
So this will mean we pay the 2.9% fee AND also the PayPal or GW fee, correct ?

If the order arrives via the marketplace (product URL begins with WWW) then eCrater will invoice you the 2.9% fee (15 days after the end of the month). The 2.9% only applies to the item cost, not the shipping. Beyond that, if you use an electronic payment service, you would be charged their fee (nominally 30-cents + 2.9%) on the entire amount of the payment.

If the order arrives via your store directly (product URL begins with storename), then you would not be charged the 2.9% eCrater fee, and you would only be charged the payment service fee (nominally 30-cents + 2.9%).
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sorry for asking Reply with quote

kid-cra-zee wrote:
yes, you would have to consider 6% (or so) as your cost for selling the item.
Unless another payment service magically appeared, one which was tightly integrated with themarketplace Wink
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marketplace. When a buyer goes to the main ecrater site www.ecrater.com and buys something they are shopping in the marketplace. If they go directly to your store from a url, say like this one: http://MoonwishesStore.ecrater.com and make a purchase, that is not the marketplace. That is your store (no charge).

Since about April 3 or 4 ecrater has been showing in our orders page where the order came from. Markeplace orders will be posted as that so you should have a fairly good idea if you will have any charges that they will invoice you for. A $10 item will get you a 29 cent charge. PP will charge you 30 cents plus 29 cents.

However if you promote your store like we are all told from the beginning and have lots of links that go directly to your store, you will get more orders directly form your store and you will not get charged the marketplace fee when someone purchases from your store. I have been here for over 5 years now and have been working hard to get my direct links out there. Yesterday I figured I had had 23 sales since they started showing us where they came from. Out of those 23 only 6 were marketplace sales. So if you want to avoid marketplace fees without doing it 'officially', then get out there and promote your store directly.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame on those of you who would rather leave than pay a miniscule amount for a service you've been using for free, some of us for years.

Smack yourself up side of the head if you would rather select minimal marketplace traffic than run the risk of having to pay 2.9% if you have a sale. You deserve to go broke. If your profit margin is that low, raise your prices 2.9%.

I'm appalled at the defensive statements from some of you demanding to know what the money is going to be used for and immediately jumping to the conclusion that you are going to somehow be cheated. (eBay and PayPal paranoia popping up) Does anyone think you run a website with millions of listings and thousands of users just by reaching into the ether and claiming that fistful is yours?

For myself, eCRATER has been providing me with a functioning selling platform with no hassle other than that caused by Google and PO rate increases almost from their beginning. I'd feel like the biggest ingrate in the world if I resented this change.
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chorwath wrote:
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza wrote:
cosmicray wrote:
This marketplace cost will not be imposed on shipping

So eCRATER will now go through the phase of $1 sales with $99 shipping
IMHO, that would drive buyers away. Right now the concept is to drive buyers to your store.

I don't think it's a good thing either. I just know it's going to happen. It went on for a long time at eBay before they cracked down on it.

They didn't crack down on it. They are profiting from it by including shipping in the final value fees.

I'm remembering about the time I was waving bye to eBay they had set maximum shipping limits to stop the 1 cent items with $50 shipping nonsense, i.e., $3-4 to ship a CD.
heritagelaceandtreasuresboutique

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Ecrater Fee Reply with quote

As a seller on Ecrater, I have no problem paying 2.9%. That percentage is very reasonable. 2.9% is peanuts compared to Ebay fees.

Ecrater has been working very hard to update their site, and why should they be doing all this for free just to appease us and besides, with the new updates, we as sellers should see more traffic which hopefully will convert into sales.

Thank you Ecrater for all your hard work in updating this site which is just another added benefit of selling on such a wonderful site.

A very happy seller here!
centerofthewebb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anyone that has been a fairly established ecrater seller wont have a huge problem paying this fee.
I prefer that over unreasonable outrageous monthly subscription fees any day plus I don't like to be locked into a contract ("betsy, partfire, zubbet" (purposely misspelled), etc.

Ecrater has done only good for my stores and I find the 2.9% reasonable and fair. Lets just hope it wont be 10% by the end of the year Wink

http://centerofthewebb.ecrater.com/
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
This marketplace cost will not be imposed on shipping

IMHO, that would drive buyers away. Right now the concept is to drive buyers to your store.

I'm going to follow up on my own post (because I realized something I said needed clarification).

I do not believe there is a problem with charging more for shipping, than the item you're selling, where the circumstances justify it.

An example of what I'm speaking of is my LEGO parts store. The parts are cheap, many of them sell for the minimum 20-cents allowed by eCRATER. I can't ship at any price down in that area. I make practically nothing off of an order of one or two parts. My shipping is calculated in gradients of 1/2 pound (using the matrix). For all orders up to 8-oz, I charge $3.50. When someone buys one or two parts, I make what profit there is in the shipping. When someone orders 100 parts, then I begin to make profit from the parts, and the shipping charged actually approaches my cost. So there are situations where this is a valid concept (but not the charging $1 for the item and $99 for the shipping).
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I too think the fee is reasonable, I am hoping the "new payments" include an opt-in for direct deposit that some websites are now employing. This would eliminate the 2.9% + fee that Paypal and Google charge so we can be payed. So we'd be back to square one and eCrater would have their part. Win-Win. eCrater has been proven trustworthy, so it wouldn't be a problem there, and for those still hedging, just open a new account specific for eCrater and your funds won't be mixed.

And may I suggest "Serve" as one payment option? They're backed by Amex so it's no fly by night.
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Marketplace ? Reply with quote

LeatherFlair wrote:
Where is the Marketplace?

The marketplace is located at: http://www.ecrater.com. Some buyers go directly to the marketplace to search for what they are looking for. Others will find your store URL through search engines, referral sites or direct traffic and will go directly to your store.
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hartmannbooks wrote:
So this will mean we pay the 2.9% fee AND also the PayPal or GW fee, correct ?

That's correct. However as we stated in the announcement you can still sell completely for free. How? Simply, do not pay your invoices. We will not suspend your store. Your listings will probably not appear in the marketplace or in Google Shopping but you will still have your store. At a certain point if you would like to recover your marketplace status, you simply pay the balance on the invoice and we will reinstate your products in the marketplace.
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: What are the "efforts" being put forth? Reply with quote

kid-cra-zee wrote:
I've been selling on here since 2011, doing my own promo, and I was just curious if we would be privy to what the new 2.9% marketplace fee was going towards? Are there going to be online ads, print ads, television commercials, YouTube ads? Up until now, there has been no advertising, just Google partnership, so I'm just wondering what is intended here.

The new 2.9% marketplace cost will go towards bringing additional traffic to the marketplace. We will do mostly online ads + we have some other ideas that we would like to try out.
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

We will list similar practices as something against our policies. Merchants who speculate with such pricing will end up being suspended until they fix the issue. We do not want bad user experience here.
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

centerofthewebb wrote:
Ecrater has done only good for my stores and I find the 2.9% reasonable and fair. Lets just hope it wont be 10% by the end of the year Wink

The marketplace cost will not be increased.
kid-cra-zee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Where to limit Marketplace Traffic? Reply with quote

ecrater-moon wrote:
Once again, the original announcement regarding upcoming changes can be found here:

http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=33039

em

You can minimize your marketplace traffic by selecting "Send minimum buyers from the marketplace".

Where is this option located?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: