SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Where are all the buyers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggiethehousecat wrote:
At least in the vintage side of sales, sales are down no matter who is doing what as far as promoting. I've had very few sales this month and most have been international, however that is more than the vintage sellers I communicate with are having.

Same here Maggie - one sale all month in all my stores not just vintage but all items. I have been promoting like crazy too.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the changes ecrater is making with google and the new marketplace fee will eventually bring back the buyers for all of us??? I know many of us are promoting our butts off yet getting very little sales to show for it.
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new "fee", wait, it's not a fee, is not hurting me one bit. No sales, no fees, wait, it's not a fee.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is weird I am selling on ebay more than I ever had in a given time span, for a month or so.
But what I really like is the other way around when I can delete things from ebay, when they sell here.

I never calculate selling much at all considering the odd things I list, and let me tell you ebay stayed stagnate for like 3,4,5,6 months now.
but then I sold more here, not a lot but the total picture, of what has sold.

I dunno, patience is a virtue.

I can also say with 100% certainty (of 35 years experience) this is the way things go even for walk-in sales, you can never figure out why you are busy, or why it gets cut off like a water spigot.
Or when you think you should be busy, but you hear the wind only.
Or other times you plan to be lazy, but then all these customers pile on like an avalache and you don't get a chance to be lazy.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jigsaw-puzzle-palooza wrote:
The new "fee", wait, it's not a fee.

Definition of a "fee" is:

1. A payment made for professional advice or services.
2. Money paid as part of a special transaction, or for a privilege or for admission to something.

I remember ecrater specifically stating that they were initiating the "marketplace cost" in part because they are now paying a somewhat expensive fee to google so us sellers can participate in google shopping which means,

A) eCrater is trying to offset the cost of listing products in google shopping by passing some of those costs onto us and

B) Since ecrater is charging the cost for us to participate in google shopping that means the cost is being charged for the privelage of using and admission to being listed in google shopping which does, make it a fee.

Why is everyone assuming I am complaining about the marketplace "cost". I am not complaining about it, I have simply been trying to make a point all this time that YES, IT IS A FEE and no matter how ecrater words it (as cost or whatever), it is still a type of fee. eCrater is just using the term "cost" because it's more welcoming than the term "fee" which chases alot of sellers away which is not what they want to do so "cost" seems like a more appropriate word to use.
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We call it "marketplace cost" because it is completely optional, so you can choose to not pay the generated invoices and your store will remain active. With fees you cannot do this, you have to pay them.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lie I've said before, Yes, I am going to pay the marketplace costs. I have no problem with that, I was just explaining the "fee" thing.
World-Coins-Dealer

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten most of my sales so far this year, in March, and April.

That's when folks get their Income Tax REFUNDS.

Jan, Feb, and so far, May, have been pretty slow.

However, since the recession started in 2008, I get emails from folks all the time, wanting to know if I'll buy their coins.

I'm a seller right now, not a buyer.
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearcreekcreations wrote:
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza wrote:
The new "fee", wait, it's not a fee.

Why is everyone assuming I am complaining about the marketplace "cost". I am not complaining about it, I have simply been trying to make a point all this time that YES, IT IS A FEE and no matter how ecrater words it (as cost or whatever), it is still a type of fee. eCrater is just using the term "cost" because it's more welcoming than the term "fee" which chases alot of sellers away which is not what they want to do so "cost" seems like a more appropriate word to use.

I don't know who everyone is but why are you assuming my comment was directed at you? It wasn't. I was just commenting that since the fees/non-fees started my sales have completely disappeared so I'm not paying any of the fees/non-fees.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's when folks get their Income Tax REFUNDS

To start, please note that I'm not saying this comment directed at anyone, just my experience over many years.

I have never received outstanding sales that I could contribute to a tax refund. I can't recall ever buying anything just because we got a tax refund. As a matter of fact our tax refund this year (IRS, state one hasn't arrived yet) went straight into savings towards next year's taxes which we assume will be heavier next year due to our other business. Since I haven't gotten our state refund yet, I assume others haven't as well, so tax refund money is still coming to folks. The IRS had a foul up this year and some refunds were late in getting sent out as well.

I hear every year about all these people spending their tax refunds and so sales good or bad are thought tied to refunds. Just like I have seen small sellers blame lack of sales on current economic things like a big dip in the stock market, etc. Unless we have a big research team backing us up as small sellers, there is no way that we can tell why and how come we do or don't have sales. For some sellers it is obvious why they have lousy sales but since they had been getting 1-2 sales a month when they drop to 0-1 sales a month want to blame it on something else.

Instead of trying to figure out who to blame (other than Google's current nonsense) I do believe that instead we have to look at our stores to see what can WE do to generate more sales, including looking at different sites to sell on, a different mix of goods, better and different promotions, etc. One of the reasons I looked for something else to do for promotions than Facebook as I wasn't seeing any results from that front. I am seeing results from Pinterest so I push that more. But that isn't all I do exclusively. I'm always looking for more ways to promote my store. I know that there are a lot of ways to do so that I haven't figured out yet. One of the nice things about a forum so that we can share ideas that work for us.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
I can't recall ever buying anything just because we got a tax refund.

I bought a car with mine one year, a vacation another. For a while when I was a single mom, it was the only time I had a chunk of cash not allocated to specific bills. One of the (few) benefits of working for someone else.
elpereles

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Puerto Rico, the state government is holding them until last minute. So I don't believe people are waiting to buy anything from it. Because when it appears is only good to pay bills or repair something. Sad
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elpereles wrote:
In Puerto Rico, the state government is holding them until last minute. So I don't believe people are waiting to buy anything from it. Because when it appears is only good to pay bills or repair something. Sad

LoL, join the club

Seems it's always some bill, or something urgent, and we go right back to being broke.
randomshobbyandgames

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in the same boat (i do have many diversified items) and I am trying to fill in all the attributes. I have had no sales since July, paid my fees. Refunded some that were bought on the marketplace, but still have to pay fees.
AmericanEdge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts wrote:
Hopefully the changes ecrater is making with google and the new marketplace fee will eventually bring back the buyers for all of us??? I know many of us are promoting our butts off yet getting very little sales to show for it.

Pardon me, I must have missed this. What changes is ecrater making with Google to bring back buyers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: