eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google: I don't think so!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewrightbiz

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Google: I don't think so! Reply with quote

http://www.wired.com/business/2013/03/google-wants-to-be-amazon/
Google to out-compete Amazon? I don't think so.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all want to dominate the world. Bad idea no matter if you are a country a la the British Empire, or a selling site like eBay or a computer maker like IBM, eventually your place in the sun will get too hot and melt the wax keeping you there.
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:
They all want to dominate the world. Bad idea no matter if you are a country a la the British Empire, or a selling site like eBay or a computer maker like IBM, eventually your place in the sun will get too hot and melt the wax keeping you there.

Love the melting wax analogy Maggie... very true
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could start by offereing a place to make payments, you know, like paypal or GC ? oops they USED to have a place, lol.
aJunkeeShoppe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish someone would get into the payment place game. Sure could use somemore options besides Paypal. Google Checkout and Amazon. Well, Google Checkout is gone so that leaves one down and two to go Smile
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aJunkeeShoppe wrote:
I wish someone would get into the payment place game. Sure could use somemore options besides Paypal. Google Checkout and Amazon. Well, Google Checkout is gone so that leaves one down and two to go Smile

You can't just decide to process payments as a business like you can decide to manufacture chairs or grow vegetables. You can start those small and grow the businesses but payment processors need lots of money backing them up and many guarantors. They also have to have a huge advertising budget and enough money to last through the introductory years.

A major credit card company or a national bank could do it faster than a start up company could but for them it would be competition against themselves as they all have their own credit cards that earn them more.

That Google Checkout wasn't making a good return on this says it all as the Google name is probably better known than PayPal. Google has gone from being a proper noun to a verb and an adjective. PayPal has not become a verb.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way, google didn't advertize about the GCO, thats all they had to do to chip away at paypal.
aJunkeeShoppe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggiethehousecat wrote:

A major credit card company or a national bank could do it faster than a start up company could but for them it would be competition against themselves as they all have their own credit cards that earn them more.

You talking about "Serve" Maggie Smile . Come on, I'm just funn'in you a little.

Google Checkout didn't install the instant payment feature like Paypal has. 90% of payments are done through the Paypals instant payment feature where you transfer funds to your Paypal account so you can transfer money instantly to another persons email address. Google could have done this and put Ebay and Paypal down but didn't for some unknown reason. Google could have made a killing on payment processing by adding the instant pay feature.

The old Moneybookers ( The New Name Is Skrill or something like that) is suppose to be adding this instant pay feature. I haven't checked back on the site for many months to see if it was installed.

The big problem with payment processors is they just won't add the instant pay feature Paypal has. It's always bank to bank transfers which takes 3 to 4 days instead of bank to processor that will hold the funds until you are ready to pay someone instantly.

Now Maggie, I am hopeful Serve will add the instant pay. Serve did just add "Bill Pay" which is the instant pay feature. All the banks have the Bill Pay feature. You can instant pay other Serve account holders instantly just like on Paypal. You can send out manual invoices for product payment. Serve just doesn't service business transactions like the ones on Ecrater.

Yes it takes a lot of capital to get a payment processing endeavor going. No doubt. But there are a lot of financial institutions that have this capital to go up against Paypal and they won't do it for some reason leaving Paypal as a monopoly in the online marketplace. Most financial institutions have payment processing capabilities in place already so it would be a drop in the bucket for them to get the instant pay feature going and make a profit on it.

I don't know Maggie. I'd like to find the answer. The only thing I can do is get my yapper going and try to build support from small store owners to voice their need for more payment processors they can use.

Credit card companies do make a lot of cash off of credit card use but Paypal processes major credit cards also and the credit card holder still has to pay the credit card company the interest charge. The credit card company could still get their interest charges plus a small percentage from the seller from each sale, "Just like Paypal does". Smile
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just reminded me I can pay the electric today with Serve. Whoo Hoo! Lights stay on for another month!
Vinyl is edible, right?
ReneesAttic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think amazon has anything to worry about just yet,but we are talking about the power of Google who has the reach even greater than amazon.
emeraldpeacockstatements

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They want to be amazon like, not like Amazon. Their goal is a 1 cart system for the entire internet, provided by Google.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: