eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

My First Store

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creationsfromcollege

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: My First Store Reply with quote

Hello, I am a first time seller, trying my hand at selling my craft online. I am slowly working on stocking and finishing my store right now and I am hoping to have it up and running in about a week or so.

I am an incoming freshman and I thought that this would be a nice way to incorporate one of my favourite hobbies into my passion for business to earn a bit of extra money on the side.

If anybody has any tips they would like to share I am all ears and willing to listen to any advice since I am a newbie at this.

But yea, I just wanted to introduce myself and put my name out there Smile
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
smartchoicegreetingcards

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and good luck!
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

All I can say is imagine if it was you looking at something through a computer screen and if you would buy it.

Show the defects, once a customer gets a surprise they didn't see or read in your description, they will hammer you, and rightly so.

I mean even the most stupid incidental thing like a thread sticking out, say in your listing, (these may have a strand of thread sticking out from time to time), then explain how to remedy the problem, don't give them a reason to be suspicious, you would not like it either.

You need to "build" a reputation and takes a lot of time.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! You've got your only payment method as cash on delivery. First off, cash on delivery does not mean that people can meet you in person and pay for their items, it's something completely different and can end up costing you all kinds of money. Second, you won't get any online buyers without accepting credit cards through Paypal and/or Google. You may get one or two local buyers but, that's about it.

Also, you may want to remove the photos showing your hand next to the items. I can see a bunch of dirt under your fingernails which would be a turn off to some picky buyers. That won't help buyers determine how big or small the items are because everyone has a different sized hand and yours could look bigger or smaller in the photo than what it actually is.
creationsfromcollege

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tips!

For the cash on delivery thing, I am still working on the payments, that was just the default it put. Currently I am unable to make a PayPal business account since I am under 18 (I'll be 18 in July actually). So I don't plan on using cash on delivery at all because its such a hassle.

And I'll shall remove those pictures. I though it might help with size comparison but I don't have a ruler that would make it clear on how tall it was so my hand was the next thing but I'll take them down soon!

And with the defects I was going to list any possible defects in my terms and such. I already have most of my terms laid out in there already.

Thank you all for the tips though!
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a quarter for a size comparison, it won't be perfect but it helps a lot. Maybe a picture with the quarter on the item.
viewfinders

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,

You have to be 18 to buy on eCRATER. I would think that would mean you have to be 18 to sell on eCRATER also.

I have no clue what those things are that you make. I'm probably too old for your items but if that is not the case maybe you should explain better.
elpereles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viewfinders wrote:
You have to be 18 to buy on eCRATER. I would think that would mean you have to be 18 to sell on eCRATER also.

I think this is true. A completed online sale is a legally binding contract, and minors are not allowed to enter contract agreements on their own. It might sound a little nit-picky since you're turning 18 so soon, but online business is held to the letter of the law. Please don't get discouraged by this, you'll be free & clear before you know it.

And welcome to Ecrater! Wishing you lots of luck and happy times with your new selling hobby. You'll find lots of helpful information in the forums here to guide you through the big stuff and the little stuff. Maybe you can use the time until your birthday to get your store, inventory, knowledge base and sales approach dialed in.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those things she is making are not a new thing. I made those all the time when I was a kid. They were very popular back in the early 90's. Those are little plastic beads that you arrange together into desired shapes on a plastic grid, then you take an iron and melt the beads together to make little images or creatures. Then you can turn those into necklace charms or ornaments too.

As for being 18, I don't know the rules on that exactly. I know most places require you to be 18 to sell or buy but, here lately I have seen a lot of sellers that are 14, 15, 16 years old selling their stuff online with the help of a parent or guardian that is over 18 years old. So, I don't know how that would work out here on ecrater. I found a website the other day for a business belonging to a 10 year old little girl making her own bath products and her dad handled all the legal stuff for her but she made the products and designed the website.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I think I found a mistake. It looks like you've got Mario from Super Mario Bros. listed as a Pok emon character. I had to put a space between pok and emon or else the forum keeps cutting off my post.
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts wrote:
lately I have seen a lot of sellers that are 14, 15, 16 years old selling their stuff online with the help of a parent or guardian that is over 18 years old.

That's the operative phrase. The actual transaction (i.e., money for product), requires +18 yo. I'm pretty sure.
taylormade4u

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: New to ecrater as well Reply with quote

Welcome and good luck!
creationsfromcollege

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, I guess I can just put off opening my store until after my birthday then, which is ok with me because then I can make sure everything is ready and in order before I actually open! Thanks for letting me know!

And actually that one sprite is pok emon, it's from the older games and can sometimes get mistaken for mario!

Thank you all for letting me know though and I hope I do well on this site!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: