eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google Feed doesn't like my ISBN numbers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SleepingCatMtBooks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Google Feed doesn't like my ISBN numbers Reply with quote

Hi...I set up my shop last month selling books and under Welcome it says the Google Feed has checked my shop on 7/1 and says 15 of my 18 books have invalid ISBN values.
I took them off the back of the book.
I was wondering if the order in which they appear in the discription or GA makes a difference.

Also I checked GPS and only the first 3 of my books are listed there.
I have gone over everyone to make sure the Google Attributes are listed the way I thought they wanted them
I have them in this order:
ISBN
Author
Format
Genre
Year
In the descrition I have
Author
ISBN
Format
Genre
Condition
Description

I am reluctant to list more books until this is straightened out.
I monitor my shop every day.
Can you spot what I am doing wrong?....thanks...joan
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you list the actual values used for one listing here. We can't see them, unless you list them.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you putting spaces in your isbns? If you do it the way they appear on the books, it won't work. Run the numbers all together.
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Google Feed doesn't like my ISBN numbers Reply with quote

SleepingCatMtBooks wrote:
I set up my shop last month selling books and under Welcome it says the Google Feed has checked my shop on 7/1 and says 15 of my 18 books have invalid ISBN values.

The various possibilities are that you input or formatted the number incorrectly, you left off a digit(s), transposed digits...or that Google doesn't recognize a valid ISBN. The last has happened to me several times over the past few yrs, incl a few weeks ago, whereby I even submitted a scan of the ISBN right from the book, which Google says is "invalid." Uh-huh.

I was wondering if the order in which they appear in the discription or GA makes a difference.

Order in description makes no difference. Order in the attributes table will be arranged when you click Update.

I have gone over everyone to make sure the Google Attributes are listed the way I thought they wanted them

How did you think they (Google? eCrater?) wanted them? Did you check the list of supported attributes by clicking on the question mark in the attributes tab?

I have them in this order

Again, the order in which you initially input them in the Google attributes tab doesn't matter, b/c the order will be arranged when you click update.

ISBN
Author
Format
Genre
Year

Author and year are not supported. Tho that's likely not the reason the ISBNs are getting kicked out.

In the descrition I have
Author
ISBN
Format
Genre
Condition
Description

You can certainly incl all that in the description if you like. That doesn't affect the attributes. Just to be clear, the attributes will appear at the end of the description in their special format but will be hidden from the customer's view if formatted correctly.

You can also include in the description the publisher, the year the book was published, casing and d/j, illustrations, etc...and you can actually describe the book. That is, in the description, you have a chance to "sell" the book by imparting what's great about it, why someone would want to buy it, the customer benefits, etc. Doesn't need to be a dry recitation of data picked up from the cover material. Book sellers can help their customers find value in a book by sharing what they know about it.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The order in which you list your attributes doesn't matter. The attributes have a Name and Value. The "name" has to go in the left column and MUST be entered in all lower case. For example, the attribute ISBN will be rejected unless the name is entered as isbn. Also, as Maggie pointed out, the isbn should be entered without spaces or dashes. While it may be listed on the back of the book as ISBN 1-59184-035-X, you would enter it as isbn (right column) and 159184035x (left column).

In the list of attributes you are using for your books, the attributes of Author, Genre and Year have been retired by Google Shopping. If you enter them, eCRATER ignores them when they submit the feed. It doesn't hurt anything, but it doesn't help and is extra work. The attribute of Format is for the form of the item, for example, is your audio book in CD or DVD format? I think some booksellers may use this attribute for a print book, but personally I only use this attribute for audio books.

You listed the attributes you have in your description. Your description is written to provide information for the buyer and the search engines (all search engines which excludes Google Shopping which is based on a feed). You should add all the information you think either would want or need. Your list looks fine and using the first letter as a capital makes it easier to read. You can use the dashes in your ISBN number as it appears in the book. The information you put in the first of your description is more important to search engines. I think the rule of thumb is the first 250 characters is most important, but I'm not sure. Remember your title can have 100 characters on eCRATER so use them wisely. I think it the first 65 characters that are most important for search engines. Just remember your description is written for your buyer, but be sure to add the keywords a search engine can use to show your item to a searcher/ potential customer.

edited to add: Looks like Fox answered while I typed. Very Happy
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
the attributes of Author, Genre and Year have been retired by Google Shopping.

Genre is still on the attributes chart provided by eCrater, in Section III, "Other attibutes." Is it not being supported?
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoxAndFish wrote:
SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
the attributes of Author, Genre and Year have been retired by Google Shopping.

Genre is still on the attributes chart provided by eCrater, in Section III, "Other attibutes." Is it not being supported?
I knew it was still on the eCRATER chart, but it is listed by Google Shopping as having been retired. Our chart probably hasn't been updated because they've been working on higher priority changes. Check out the link below on Google. It's a very helpful chart for attributes and at the bottom of the chart is a list of retired attributes.
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/1344057?hl=en#US

I think the chart is confusing to someone new to eCRATER because it list so many attributes that eCRATER adds for us based on the info provided when we list our items. I keep it bookmarked for quick reference because I have so many different types of items listed between my stores.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know that some ISBN numbers were duplicated. Years ago when selling books on Amazon, I would go list a book and find that a weighty textbook type book was sharing an ISBN with a Harlequin romance. One copy, you assume someone goofed when entering numbers, but each time I saw this it was several books by different sellers. So apparently they were listing via a massive uploads and weren't comparing their ISBN to what Amazon said it should be. So now Google, which has never been in the book business, is telling sellers that they have the wrong ISBN. Wonder how they know for sure? They can go fly a kite and quit poking their noses into business that isn't really theirs since it was much easier to find things before they got into the attributes junk.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
I do know that some ISBN numbers were duplicated. Years ago when selling books on Amazon, I would go list a book and find that a weighty textbook type book was sharing an ISBN with a Harlequin romance. One copy, you assume someone goofed when entering numbers, but each time I saw this it was several books by different sellers. So apparently they were listing via a massive uploads and weren't comparing their ISBN to what Amazon said it should be. So now Google, which has never been in the book business, is telling sellers that they have the wrong ISBN. Wonder how they know for sure? They can go fly a kite and quit poking their noses into business that isn't really theirs since it was much easier to find things before they got into the attributes junk.

trying not to go off topic too much ...
Once upon a time, you could pull up a product page on Amazon and see the UPC/ISBN listed in some details near the bottom. If the first seller in the door got it wrong, I wonder how much inertia it required to get Amazon to correct the 'catalog' before a bunch of other sellers look on that page to extract the UPC/ISBN info.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder how much inertia it required to get Amazon to correct the 'catalog' before a bunch of other sellers look on that page to extract the UPC/ISBN info.

I still see multiple catalog pages for the same thing over there although I do think they are trying to clamp down on them.
BookwormBargains

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at 1 of your listings: http://sleepingcatmtbooks.ecrater.com/p/18201379/stalemate-by-iris-johansensuspense-thriller the attributes are showing because you input them incorrectly. You have a space between format and : [!format :paperback!] It should be format:

I use the G tab when I list my books that way I don't have to worry about spaces inputted wrong:

isbn in the 1st column and 9786565654123 in the 2nd column (make sure you write isbn in lower case letters)

Since you only have 18 items I would go through them and just add only the isbn. Wait for a new google feed and see what happens.

I used to add lots of attributes but ever since they stopped using most of them for books I just add the required isbn numbers.
SleepingCatMtBooks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: ISBN numbers Reply with quote

Thanks ever so much for all your informative info. I will get right to changing those numbers...
However...that doesn't answer the question of why the first 3 books which are formated the same as the rest of the books are OK with Google and are listed in GPS....oh well I guess some things we will never know...
Thanks again for all your help.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, the google computer doesn't catch them all. I had one bounce back after a year or so and I found I had dropped the exclamation mark in it, and then found I had dropped it in about 20 other listings that had been flagged! So my chore for that day was fixing them all along with the initial search to find them all!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: