eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Free Insurance With Priority Mail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Free Insurance With Priority Mail Reply with quote

I mailed a padded Priority Mail envelope this morning at the post office and the clerk said there was now $60 of insurance as well as the free tracking. The post office had been waffling on the amount of free insurance but this was the first time they gave a definite amount.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, because at USPS.com it says

Quote:
Priority Mail service offers 1 day, 2 day, or 3 day service to most domestic destinations. Priority Mail envelopes and boxes are available at many Post Offices and can be ordered online at USPS.com/store. This 1-3 day service includes tracking and merchandise insurance up to $50. Additional merchandise insurance up to $5,000 may be purchased for a fee.

I wonder if you get more insurance if you are buying your postage in person?
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecheapskirt wrote:
Weird, because at USPS.com it says

Quote:
Priority Mail service offers 1 day, 2 day, or 3 day service to most domestic destinations. Priority Mail envelopes and boxes are available at many Post Offices and can be ordered online at USPS.com/store. This 1-3 day service includes tracking and merchandise insurance up to $50. Additional merchandise insurance up to $5,000 may be purchased for a fee.

I wonder if you get more insurance if you are buying your postage in person?

IIRC, the way it was originally announced was $100 insurance included for people shipping with electronic postage, and $50 insurance included for retail shippers. Don't know if that is what they finally ended up with.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never insured through the PO always through endicia. Makes me wonder, since I've heard so much bad stuff about collecting from the PO, if it is better to just pay for separate insurance, or will endicia even allow that?
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a second trip to the post office today and this clerk said it is only $50 free insurance. The first clerk I had was the supervisor and either I heard her wrong or she was mistaken.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The insurance answer can be found here, but darned if I can decipher what they are saying ...

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2013/pb22366/html/updt_001.htm#ep1469950

Quote:
1. $100.00 of insurance coverage on all Priority Mail pieces that bear an Intelligent Mail package barcode (IMpb) and either pay Commercial Plus prices or use a qualifying postage payment method (including eVS or Manifest Mailing System).

2. $50.00 of insurance coverage on all domestic Priority Mail pieces that bear an Intelligent Mail package barcode (IMpb) or USPS retail tracking barcode.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is an intelligent mail bar code? Does that come from the postage meter when you weigh and pay or is it a code on the priority boxes? I'm mailing 2 priority packages tomorrow one is not the right size for a priority box and the other is in a priority box but old stock.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes good luck with getting the PO to pay out. This is just another attempt to save the failing postal system. There will be lots of complaints coming up, and likely lots of Paypal chargebacks.
vintageinterestnmore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago, I had an insurance claim for a broken item. The clerks at the counter were extremely helpful. I filled out the forms. The buyer filled out her information as well. I was told it would take several months and I probably wouldn't get anything anyway, but one day within a couple of months to my complete surprise, bwalla there was my money in the mail. There really is more good than bad from my postal experiences!
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had a problem with claims either or at least when something arrived broken and the buyers put in a claim they never complained that they had not received payment. Once they even paid for repairs to a chalk dog that arrived with ear tips broken off.

The only time they didn't pay up to my knowledge was when a woman asked for payment for her pain and suffering as she was so disappointed that her $5 mug was broken. They are still laughing about that one at my post office.

I do think they sometimes ask for extra documentation if they think they are being had.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only time they didn't pay up to my knowledge was when a woman asked for payment for her pain and suffering as she was so disappointed that her $5 mug was broken. They are still laughing about that one at my post office.

Thanks for the rib tickler! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: