eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

I'm an avid fan of AMERICAN PICKERS tv show, are you?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntiquesAndCollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: I'm an avid fan of AMERICAN PICKERS tv show, are you? Reply with quote

I love that show, and even watch the reruns over and over.

I'm always amazed when they purchase items that are rusty, or broken, and then want bookoo bucks to resell them. (scratching my head)
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like watching the TV show too. Like the TV show Storage Wars I think it is a bit staged but the characters on both shows are very entertaining.
In regards to the Pickers show I think a lot of the sellers may sell some of their stuff cheap just to get on the show and gather their fifteen minutes of fame.

tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just watching some American Pickers Halloween episodes last night. They must make some big bucks selling some of the stuff they pick out. I've seen them pay like $300 for a tiny little metal sign that was rusted and they said they were gonna turn around and ask like $600 for it. I guess I just don't know the value of that kind of stuff but, antiques are not my specialty.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the stuff the buy and sell are really about memories. Some people are willing to pay a lot to bring childhood back into their lives.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In real life, pickers often have a list of clientele with particular interests. Or dealers with particular interests. So I imagine they too have a network of potential buyers - more than just 'the shop' in Iowa and 'the shop' in Nashville.

Or in the words of another TV personality "is that the price they are asking or the price it sold for?" (Rick from Pawn Stars)

I have heard complaints the Nashville store is a lot of T-shirts and stuff all labeled American Pickers. Haven't been there yet myself...

I like watching it too. DH gets bored with it, claiming it's the same thing over and over. I was not impressed with the trip to Europe. That didn't seem real.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that show is available here but I've watched others and I think they are staged. Don't believe anything I see on reality TV.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say Pawn Stars shop sells mostly tee shirts as it is a big tourist trap these day. Chumlee gets a big chunk of the profits of his tee shirts.

Storage Wars got 'caught salting the mine' on YouTube videos. Dave Hestor sued the show over the stuff the show stuck in the lockers.
I rented a locker for a few months about a year ago and went to it a few times a week. That was an interesting place, a guy lived in one of the lockers for months before they could legally oust him. Homeless people lived in front of some of the outside units and it took Public Storage months to get rid of them as well. There were all kinds of unusual people visiting their lockers every day. lol
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

school-yearbooks wrote:
They say Pawn Stars shop sells mostly tee shirts as it is a big tourist trap these day. Chumlee gets a big chunk of the profits of his tee shirts. Dave Hestor sued the show over the stuff the show stuck in the lockers.

I read an article that said Hestor was sued by A&E over the Storage Wars show because he refused to pay taxes on the lockers he bought. Said he only refused to pay the taxes because the show got to decide the main contents of each locker and so, he felt like they were purposefully putting non-profitable items in his lockers. Whatever, I don't really know what happened, lol. Either way, I don't much care for Dave Hestor and I know a ton of other people who don't like him either.

Auctioneer: Do I hear $200 on this locker?
Dave: Yeeeuuuuppppp!
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyreeTrading wrote:
I was not impressed with the trip to Europe. That didn't seem real.

Yeah, just watched that the other day. It didn't hold my attention at all.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hester sued A&E for his legal fees in his case against them ( $122K )

Hester filed the lawsuit after the claimed he was fired for revealing that
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This BBS system won't let me complete the post. It may b time to upgrade.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does everyone here genuinely like watching American Pickers and Pawn Stars or, do you think you mainly only watch them because you are a seller and things about other sellers just seem to grab your attention? Both for me. I really like the shows but, I also like to watch things about other sellers because I'm curious how much they can sell things for. I'm amazed sometimes when I see them sell an old cigar box for $600 and I'm like, how come nobody will pay me $600 for my cigar box? I could have mine listed at $100 and never sell it so, how on earth are they getting so much for this stuff?

Where are all those buyers that are willing to pay top dollar? That's what I wanna know, where to find THOSE buyers. And as for Pawn Stars, the old man is a hoot.

Old Man: So what were you thinkin' you'd like to get for that?

Customer: I was hoping to get about $300 for it

Old Man: Well you can think of a different number because I was thinkin' more like $50
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both shows are entertaining and insightful. With American Pickers many of the people with crap to sell are hoarders. I think many of these types hate to part with their stuff but realize that they are old and infirm and when the pass away their kids will sell their treasures for almost nothing. That's what I think about when I see old guys on the show.

I think Pawn Stars is running out of gimmicks for the four main characters. The show reminds me of Antiques Roadshow in that you can gather a lot of information and insight into a wide variety of items.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna record 3 new episodes of Storage Wars tonight!
JefferysJunction

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My good buddies Mike & Frank often frequent my store...
www.jefferysjunction.ecrater.com

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: