eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Need option for NO shipping if LOCAL delivery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PURRfectFashions

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Need option for NO shipping if LOCAL delivery Reply with quote

I will be selling a few items locally & need an option to NOT CHARGE for shipping. How do I set this up - not finding it online.
I see the CASH ON DELIVERY option, but this does not seem to affect the shipping.

Also, I'm having difficulty selecting a Stand Post shipping option less than $5.60. how can I add my own shipping charges for $2.

Thanks
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
elpereles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to add your own Shipping and Handling prices. You must use the Shipping Matrix.

Cash on Delivery isn't equal to Pick Up payment. Check your FAQ because you can only ask for the payment methods specify or supported in eCrater.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need option for NO shipping if LOCAL delivery Reply with quote

PURRfectFashions wrote:
I will be selling a few items locally & need an option to NOT CHARGE for shipping. How do I set this up - not finding it online.
I see the CASH ON DELIVERY option, but this does not seem to affect the shipping.

Also, I'm having difficulty selecting a Stand Post shipping option less than $5.60. how can I add my own shipping charges for $2.

Thanks
You currently are using USPS Calculated shipping. I noticed you have several flat rate boxes selected. The customer is going to select the cheapest with no knowledge of what's possible to ship in which box. You would do better to add the packaged weight to every item and then offer First Class Parcel and Priority Mail. You can always use the flat rate box if you wish when you ship, but the customer will be shown the shipping rate based on weight.

CASH ON DELIVERY is a shipping option through the USPS and is very expensive. You take the risk that the customer pays after you have shipped the item.

There is no option for no shipping based on local pick-up. You could offer to refund the shipping after they pay. You could also ask local sales to email you and you could arrange for a cash sale at the time of sale. The item could be put on hold to reserve it for the customer.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or use fixed shipping for those items. ?
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Cash on Delivery is not what you are thinking it is. That doesn't mean you meet the buyer in person and they pay you in cash when you hand them over the item. Ever heard of a COD or C.O.D.? That's what it is. You ship the items to your buyer and you agree that they don't have to pay you for anything until AFTER the items have already arrived at their door. It's not a safe option and like others have said, it can be costly.

No option to do local sales here because on ecrater, you MUST be willing to ship all items which means all items must either display a shipping price or be set up with free shipping. This is not a local-only selling site.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Stripe doesn't care about tracking/shipping, I would almost suggest that you enable Stripe and not PayPal. But the deal with Stripe is not the same as swiping a physical card (e.g. Square, PayPal, etc).

I think your best venue (for some definition of best) is craigslist for local items. On craigslist the presumption is a physical handoff, while on ecrater it is shipped items only. If you really expect to do that much physical delivery, you might want to look at the PayPal card swipe attachment.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will be selling a few items locally & need an option to NOT CHARGE for shipping

The only way to set it up is to list it for shipping to all 50 states with appropriate postage as that is ecrater rules. You can be suspended for not shipping all items to all 50 states.
PURRfectFashions

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for all the comments. Appreciate your time.

I think the best option for local sales might just be to have them email me.

Now to figure out how to make the shipping affordable & not a 'turn off' since my products weigh under 1 lb. The variables are limited, so will probably have to use average shipping prices. Still trying to figure out how to manipulate this Matrix since it appears to be in LBS & too large for most of my items, even combined.

I'm sure I'll have more questions since I'm new to this site.

Thanks again!
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is for you to say, but it is really easy to just enter zeros at the bottom of the listing, and tack the shipping in the price and just say free shipping.

If your stuff is that light, then it won't add that much to the full price.

Sorry I never entered the Matrix. Lol
But I think it is for if you have a bunch of the same weight range items and boxes, the matrix should make things flow better.

If you have a wide range of weights and sizes I don't think it is designed for that , but I never learned that thing.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now to figure out how to make the shipping affordable & not a 'turn off' since my products weigh under 1 lb.
You need to enter your weight as the packaged weight and enter as a decimal fraction of a pound with a leading zero. For example, 12 oz. would be entered as 0.75. There is a nice chart on page 1 of the FAQ topic regarding shipping.

Under Options in your admin section, add First Class Package to your list of shipping options and it will be shown anytime the item weight is 13 ozs or less. (Just a note, if the package weighs 13.1 ozs., USPS will require 1 lb Priority Mail shipping. )
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for the most part, sell items under a pound too and use the Matrix. Took about 2 whole days of thinking about it until the light bulb went off. You can use Sheila's way or you can use the columns in the matrix to indicate number of items. One for me is the average weight of one pattern for shipping, 2 is the average weight of 2 patterns, etc. For here in the States for 5-6 items+ I charge an amount to cover the cost of Priority Mail shipping. If using the matrix this way, in your weight area of your listing you can put a 1 or if something is over that weight you can put in a 2. The computer doesn't have a clue if you are using the matrix to refer to pounds, ounces, grams or wampum. As long as you are clear in your head about what and how much you are charging and get it in your listings correctly, it works out easily. I've been suing the Matrix here for 4-5 years without a bit of trouble, unless caused by the person sitting in front of the computer!

For those wonderful customers that buy 27 patterns at once (it did happen!) they only get charged for a 1# Priority package and I cover the rest of the postage cost since it is saving me money not to have to pay PP fees on 27 separate items! It works out well and I used to be able to do that for international shipping as well (the over a certain amount, I pick up the cost). Now that international is so high cost, The customer has to cover all if not most of the shipping costs (some patterns are extra fat and if they buy several I may have to pitch in a dollar or two to cover the overage, but better than losing the sale.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: