eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Shipping Matrix

View previous topic :: View next topic  
intouchwithurworld

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Shipping Matrix Reply with quote

I have read many posts regarding the Shipping Matrix and I still don't get it.
All my listings have a flat rate and I would like to offer my customers more options w/o having to contact me for different pricing.Alsio that would allow me to sell more than one same item at the same time. (sorry, I didn't realize that was one long sentence.

When I look at the Matrix I get all confused about 16 +. Will some one please explain it to me simply? Thanki in advance.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thecornerstonecowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, 16+ first: If you actually use "16" as 16 pounds, then how much extra will it cost to send an additional 2 pounds, etc? Figure how much 18 pounds would cost to a chosen location. If it costs $5.00 more, then the 16+ blank would say $5.00. You could figure an 18 lb., a 20 lb., a 22 lb., etc. and then do an average additional cost. The "16+" is just the additional cost to send each additional 2 pound package: 18 lb., 20 lb., 22 lb., 24 lb., 26 lb, etc.
thecornerstonecowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the shipping matrix: It is just flat rate shipping with no other options.

It does work for combined items in a single order, however. If you set "item A" for a "2" weight and "item B" for a "4" weight, then the matrix can add those two items together when a customer buys, say one of each, for a total "weight" of "6". Whatever you have in the "6" block is what that customer would pay for shipping.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Matrix Reply with quote

intouchwithurworld wrote:
I have read many posts regarding the Shipping Matrix and I still don't get it.
All my listings have a flat rate and I would like to offer my customers more options w/o having to contact me for different pricing.Alsio that would allow me to sell more than one same item at the same time. (sorry, I didn't realize that was one long sentence.

When I look at the Matrix I get all confused about 16 +. Will some one please explain it to me simply? Thanki in advance.

If you turn on USPS Calculated, the Flat Rate field (on the listing) and the shipping matrix are ignored (with one very special exception). Weights on the listings must represent the packed weight for the item, in real pounds.

If USPS Calculated is off, it will first try to use the Flat Rate value (if present). If no Flat Rate value, then it will take the weight from listing (or add the weights if multiple items ordered) then look up the destination (row in the matrix) and weight-total (column in the matrix) and use that.

If you are not using USPS Calculated, you can use synthetic values for the weights, to achieve other ways of doing combined shipping, etc. Search the Community for 'synthetic weight' to find many detailed explanations.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the matrix all the time. I have weight dependable checked and a 1 in the weight field. I sell by numbers of items sold. not ounces, pounds, or anything metric. In the columns in the matrix, in the 1 column is the price to send an average weight item from my store. The 2 column is the average weight for two, the 3-4 is for 3-4 items, and on the 6 column is the price to ship six items (usually at this point Priority mail rates have kicked in). For my US sales, that is the most I charge and have that amount across the matrix except for 16+ where I have zero. I like to encourage large multiple item orders and have found that any sale over 6 items makes me more money in one order than shipping 7 items to 7 people so my buyer gets the discount. I used to do this for international orders but the prices went up too much and now I have to have a different charge for every amount.

The only time this comes back to 'bite' me is when someone buys 2 or more items that are heavier than normal and so the price for shipping is more than what I collected. but then I think that I didn't lose all those PP/Stripe fees for individual purchases, so I'm still ahead.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: