eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Anyone else get their credit card info stolen by Target?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Anyone else get their credit card info stolen by Target? Reply with quote

I was really surprised to see last weekend somebody using my PayPal debit card locally. At first I assumed, because I had the card still in my hand, the information has been lifted off the card at a local restaurant. It was the only place I used the card where I actually handed the card off to somebody and it was out of my sight for a while.

They tried to charge a little over $500 at a local CVS pharmacy. I don't keep that much in my PayPal account, so it was declined. But I have the email notifications turned on so I was alerted to it. Later they successfully made a charge at a Walmart in a town about 90 miles away from here.

I canceled the card and had PayPal reverse the charge. It was a hassle because that card goes to pay for postage, website hosting, etc.

Well yesterday turns out my fiancé had his PayPal card used in Georgia. Same thing with him, he still has the card in his hand. But he rarely uses that card, and is never used it recently at a restaurant like I did, where you hand the card off to a person.

So we wondered, what did we both have in common? And it turns out we both use our cards at Target in December during the period of time their data was hacked.

At first I didn't think this was a Target issue, as my card is being used locally. What are the odds that they would sell the information to somebody here to make a credit card? Plus it has been months since their data breach. But now that exact same thing happened to him, I'm going to assume that we were all part of the Target breach.

I really thought that if I been affected I would've seen some charges sooner than now -- it's almost the end of February. And I find it odd that it was both of our PayPal cards. We've used other bankcards at Target also during that time and they weren't affected.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the type of credit card a person uses has anything to do with it. The info is what counts.

There was an episode of the Sopranos where some restaurant workers were stealing credit card info and it showed how they got caught.

I'm sorry you are going through this now. It is really a royal pain.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex-boyfriend was real careless (not intentionally, he was just so overworked he couldn't think straight) & someone managed to get his credit card info. Long story short, they tried to purchase memberships to several adult "entertainment" websites with it, even ordered some adult dvds & novelties.

My credit card company (it was my account but I had him added to it when we were still together, it's been closed since) knew my purchase habits & knew that I never purchased anything online with that card unless it had to do strictly with college. Book rentals, supplies, etc. so they flagged it. I tried to charge a $23 purchase at a local store & it was denied. I knew something was off because I had just sent in a $300 payment to that card!
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that you have to carefully monitor your credit card charges for at least 2 years, from the date of the Target problem. I have alerts set to notify me of any charge over 2 dollars.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard something similar about watching for 2 years.

I made a purchase at Target during that time period. It was a $3 purchase so I paid by cash. When the news reports came out, I went looking for the receipt. It was still in the bag and I was relieved to see it was for cash.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else get their credit card info stolen by Target? Reply with quote

thecheapskirt wrote:
So we wondered, what did we both have in common? And it turns out we both use our cards at Target in December during the period of time their data was hacked.

Boom, head shot.

Quote:
At first I didn't think this was a Target issue, as my card is being used locally. What are the odds that they would sell the information to somebody here to make a credit card? Plus it has been months since their data breach. But now that exact same thing happened to him, I'm going to assume that we were all part of the Target breach.

You really need to follow Krebs On Security. He has been talking about how the cards were bundled by bank, and by location/store where used, and then sold on to local crews (on the theory that a local charge would raise less suspicion that one across the country).

http://krebsonsecurity.com/

specifically these entries ...

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/12/cards-stolen-in-target-breach-flood-underground-markets/

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/02/fire-sale-on-cards-stolen-in-target-breach/

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/01/gang-rigged-pumps-with-bluetooth-skimmers/

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/01/target-names-emails-phone-numbers-on-up-to-70-million-customers-stolen/

It's a war out there people, please watch out for the shrapnel.

Quote:
I really thought that if I been affected I would've seen some charges sooner than now -- it's almost the end of February. And I find it odd that it was both of our PayPal cards. We've used other bankcards at Target also during that time and they weren't affected.

Give it time. Luckily, I have not been in a Target store for 4-5 years.

I did ask my CC issuer to send me weekly SMS with my current balance, and I'm thinking of switching it to daily. That way if I see something wonky happening, I can kill the card fast.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very helpful info. Thanks Cosmicray!

All of my accounts send me emails for every transaction. Even those that do not go through. Which is good, because the failed CVS transaction didn't show up anywhere in PayPal. But I was emailed about it.

Because I've never had a failed transaction with my PayPal debit card, I actually forwarded the email to PayPal asking if it was a spoof email. Because they always say if it's real, you will be able to log into your PayPal account and see the transaction. Which wasn't in this case.

I never did get a response from PayPal saying whether the email was legit. But I spoke with someone on the phone who confirmed the attempt was real.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have such a great bank, they called me as soon as the news broke about Target and they canceled my card, Of course everyone should check statement every month, just in case.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: