eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

What were we thinking???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: What were we thinking??? Reply with quote

I was just reminiscing about the past & thinking about the things we (the population as a whole) have done over the last few decades that were just so ridiculous you have to stop & ask yourself "What were we thinking?". For example:

-Home Accent color choices of the 60's and 70's eras. I remembered walking into peoples homes in the late 80's early 90's that had not yet been remodeled to suit the changing times. They had teddy bear brown shag carpeting, burnt yellow refrigerators & stoves, pastel pink commodes in the bathrooms, and ugly pastel to dark green paint on the walls paired with hideous floral wallpaper.

-The 90's Poopy Britches Look. Remember when all the guys thought it was so cool to buy their jeans in 5 sizes too big so that not only were you able to see what color boxer shorts they were wearing but, as one of the teachers I had in school used to say, made it look like those guys had an accident in their pants that was so massive it caused them to sag to the floor.

These are just two examples of things I can't help but look back on, and laugh about! What are some ridiculous trends you remember?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teens are still wearing their pants around their knees and those avocado, rust brown and gold appliances go for big bucks today as retro gets its rebirth.

Many decorative items from the 50s-60s-70s which were horrendous all in one room, make great accent items when combined with Art Deco or Modern pieces.

It's like any period of fashion or design there is good design and bad design from any era. The good designs will live to see another day.

I remember being hooted at when I wore empire waist and sack dresses. I loved them. I still do although I haven't had one in a while. Do you remember Go-Go boots and bouffant hair? Beehives that were sprayed so stiff you needed solvents to break it down when you washed your hair.

Nehru jackets, stretch pants with boot straps, afros if you weren't naturally endowed with one, muumuus and maxi coats, love beads. Cotton Indian bedspreads, clogs.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot to mention paneling.

I've been going to a number of estate sales in homes from the 60s and 70s. The family room is always paneled. The kitchen may be. And there is probably at least one other room with paneling.

A friend in real estate mentioned if you say 60s/70s rancher, she can practically lay out the floor plan. Some of those get the 'what were they thinking' the place is so cut up. For some, the only saving design feature is the built in swimming pool that was common for the times.

The Empire waist supposedly starting with Josephine, Napoleon's wife. So trends come and trends go.

Another friend found some old home movies of his days as a basketball player. He kids got a hoot out of his naked legs because his shorts were so...short. He swears it made moving easier than the current long ones.

Wallpaper was in, wallpaper was out, wallpaper was in, wallpaper is out.

What's new is old, what's old is new.

And then there are the songs that will last forever....
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one who hates open floor plans. No way to shut the mess away. Also very bad for heating and air conditioning.

Split levels were the bane of my existence. No matter which room you wanted to go to you had to use stairs. And that paneling mentioned above. People are still painting over or tearing it down.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: