eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

PayPal checkbox for promotional emails
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: PayPal checkbox for promotional emails Reply with quote

Last night I ordered something via eCrater. When making payment (and I suspect it was PayPal classic) I noticed a checkbox on the PayPal payment screen that I could check if I wanted to receive promotional/sales emails from the seller. It was reminiscent of a similar checkbox on the GCO screen.

Is this a new feature of PayPal ?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been there for a couple years, you can set it up in your profile:
(from this Merchant Guide, page 38.)

PayPal wrote:
You can increase sales by sending marketing messages to buyers. Enable the PayPal checkout pages to prompt buyers for accepting marketing messages if you run a marketing program.

When you prompt buyers for marketing messages and they accept, you can send them promotional information like sale announcements or newsletters by email. If you choose this option, you also need to offer an unsubscribe service.

For merchants who use Website Payments Standard, this option affects only Buy Now, Add to Cart, and Cart Upload checkout pages.

1. Login to your PayPal website at https://www.paypal.com. The My Account Overview page opens.
2. Click the Profile sub tab. The Profile Summary page opens.
3. In the Selling Preferences column, click the Custom Payment Pages link. The Customize Your Payment Page page opens.
4. Click the Options tab.
5. Under the Merchant service options heading, select the Offer promotional emails checkbox.
6. Click the Save button.

-----------
You can do some other cool stuff too, like offer Gift Wrapping for a fee, require a buyer's phone number at purchase, customize your checkout screen and more. Lots of "how-to" stuff in that Merchant Guide, it's worth flipping through.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's this at? I purchase online all the time using my Paypal account & I've never seen a checkbox for marketing preferences. Must be overlooking it.
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the path above is a little outdated. From your PayPal Overview screen, go:

Profile>My Selling Tools>Custom Payment Pages>Options

tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
PegsBUTTONS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offer promotional information like sale announcements or newsletters. If you choose this option, you also need to offer an unsubscribe service.

WHAT does this mean? " you also need to offer an unsubscribe service."
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think it is illegal to send out mass emailings without giving the recipients a way with a link on the email to unsubscribe so they don't get any more of them. Not sure how that would work with PP doing these mailings. I never realized all these items were a possibility. Something to check into. I would think. someday when I'm bored with nothing else to do! It is hard being a one man band!
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably means that any promotional email you send out, needs to have instructions (usually at the bottom) on how to unsubscribe from the email list. This might be a link they could click (with a random identifier so that the list manager knows who sent it) or it could be as simple as sending "unsubscribe" back to the sender/seller.
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PegsBUTTONS wrote:
Offer promotional information like sale announcements or newsletters. If you choose this option, you also need to offer an unsubscribe service.

It's a little cumbersome, IMO. You have to look at each transaction detail to see if each buyer has subscribed to your email marketing. Then you can copy and paste the email address into your email marketing list/service (like Mail Chimp or Constant Contact, etc.). The service needs to have an Unsubscribe option within the email you send, which is common.

Unfortunately, there's no mass capturing of subscribed emails available from PayPal (that I've seen). You have to go through your transactions one at a time to see if buyers have opted-in.
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Not sure how that would work with PP doing these mailings.

PayPal doesn't do the mailings, it isn't something you do through them. They just give you the buyer's email addy and their OK, and you do the rest through a third-party service.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PayPal doesn't do the mailings, it isn't something you do through them. They just give you the buyer's email addy and their OK, and you do the rest through a third-party service.

thank you for clarifying that. Seems more people would have been talking about it if PP did the mailing. I just so much don't want PP to be involved with anymore of my business than is called for. I guess I assume that for every bit the squirm into they will make you pay somehow and I don't mean just money.
PegsBUTTONS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Audio..looks like to much work for me
I remember just before google closed I send a mass email to all my buyers ( those that opted in) to shop in my store and gave a discount..not one of them took me up on the offer
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "unsubscribed" to a email once, next day I had like 50 junk emails.
I found the first email name I was sent the day before, and actually called on the phone and was some teen sounding kid in New york, and he said he would do something.
After that it went down to like 10 or 12 a day for months.

So now people send things to spam these days and I never click on an unsubscribe, unless the law took care of that problem, but I doubt it.

The big companies seem ok to do that, but it also seems it would be hard for them to not be greedy and make money off a confirmed email, by unsubscribing.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'big' companies that I unsubscribe from seem to do what they say, but I too have learned not to do that on the spam emails as you just end up with more. Hotmail/Microsoft did some changes lately and I'm not receiving nearly the emails that I used to. Don't know why, but I did find an ecrater question in my delete file a week or so ago. I do not understand why this places think that they need to keep changing things!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had to share...This week Norton put the promotional emails from eBAY in my Spam folder. I had a good laugh.

If I've never heard of the site, I never click on the link to unsubscribe. If I continue receiving unrequested email, I just ignore. I'm of the opinion that if you click on the link, it confirms you are a live person and you get more unrequested email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: