eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Can one glue computer key tops on?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viewfinders

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Can one glue computer key tops on? Reply with quote

The ALT key on my computer lost its lid. I didn't actually lose it. It just came off. If I set it back in place I can use the key but I have lost it several times and have spent hours looking for it.

Is it possible to reattach it? Can I glue it in place. I can't see what was holding it in place in the first place. It doesn't appear to be broken.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
elpereles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid the glue. Shocked

If the key isn't broken. It can be back in its location. It is tricky and can take some time, but it can be back in the keyboard. If the computer is a laptop/notebook first turn off. Many of the keys connect withing 4 point. If they aren't broken. First you must be secure you grab 2 points of connection. Then moving slowly your finger over the key in cross direction (left to right and up to down) and pressing it until you will is back in place.

I know a lot people with laptops loosing keys in good condition because they don't have the patience to deal with it.
trafficjammers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New keyboards cost $5-$10, c'mon now...
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a tiny little spring that holds it in place. Not like a coiled spring, but a curved piece of wire that's attached to the key which allows the bouncing & movement you get when you press on the keys, but also keeps the keys from coming loose every time you type.

You need to find & re-attach the spring, but this part is tricky because of the odd angles involved in getting the spring in place while placing the key back into its spot. If you can't locate the spring you can always just sit it back in place but it will be harder to press the keys if you force it in too tight & will continue to pop off if it's too loose. If you have a newer model keyboard like something that was just manufactured in the last year or so, those don't have springs at all & some can be "popped" back in place.

I wouldn't recommend glue or else the key may become stationary.
viewfinders

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a laptop so don't think I can replace the keyboard and the computer works fine otherwise.

When I life the key cap and look at it, there is a very fine frame that seems to drop down from it. The key space in the computer has a sort of pillar or nuclear reactor shaped mountain in the center. If you press on it, it goes down and activates the Alt function. I can't figure out if something is missing or if the glue holding the key cap in place dried out and it came loose.

I didn't think glue was a bright idea but thought I would ask in case it was a keep it simple stupid situation.
elpereles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look the back of the key. You will see 4 little "c" type formations. Those all the ones that hold it to the keyboard. As I said before it is tricky and takes times. First grab 2 points (up or down) then do the movement I said before. It is cross move and press. Be gently.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the C which is the inside of the little frame but see nothing to hook the frame onto. Something must have come off and be gone.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaaaaaaarg a laptop

If it has to resort to glueing I would recommend a rubber "contact" cement, but you will have to place it exact.
contact cement will give the glue-key some flex and not re-break off all the time.
It is also controllable to apply, unlike some runny stuff glues that will foul up that switch by running inside it.

If it does come off again, you can still clean the surfaces and re-glue it unlike other glues that melt plastic or superglue, Don't use superglue.
barkrock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've replaced the keyboard on my laptop several times now.

Suggest you google something like "replacement keyboard for XXXX" where XXXX=your brand/model of computer. You may be surprised!

Replacing my keyboard consisted of releasing several little clips and unplugging/plugging in one cable.

You can do it!
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never completely comfortable with the mouse and keyboard on the laptop.

I invested in a wireless mouse and keyboard. That made my fingers so much happier!
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyreeTrading wrote:
I was never completely comfortable with the mouse and keyboard on the laptop.

I invested in a wireless mouse and keyboard. That made my fingers so much happier!

My wrists tend to hurt more when I use a laptop. I think it's because the mouse pad is never in the center of the laptop, it's always over to the left side slightly so, I have to type & use the mouse at a weird angle. My desktop is more comfy because I have a specialty padded mouse pad & little extras like that.

I can't use my desktop right now though. I'm still looking for a place of my own & staying with my mother & my computer doesn't have WiFi capabilities, you can only connect to the internet with an Ethernet cord & in order to do that I'd have to string a 50-60 foot cord from one side of the house to the other because the internet box is on the opposite side of the house. My mom would never let me do that, she's a perfectionist when it comes to her home. She'd flip if I did that.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like having a full size keyboard and mouse. I had to use a laptop when I stayed with my Dad. I purchased a keyboard and mouse at the local thrift store for a total of $20.00 and I already had a second mouse pad with padded wrist support. I'd set up the laptop, add the keyboard and mouse and dared anyone to laugh at me. Laughing I can't imagine working on a laptop without the larger keyboard and mouse.

My first experience with keys coming off was walking into the office of our company computer geek / programmer and seeing a pail of soapy water filled with the keycaps from a keyboard. That was when I learned they were removable and washable. I've never removed all, but I have removed some that really needed extra cleaning.

The advice elpereles gave was really good advice. The caps often come off way easier than going back on. As he said, turn your laptop off, put the key in position then apply pressure in a cross pattern, up & down then side to side all the while applying downward pressure. They sorta snap on, but the first time I did it I thought I was going to break the keyboard just before they snapped back on.

If all else fails, just get a keyboard with a USB connection from your local thrift store. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila that works if you can sit at a desk and type. I can't sit up straight for more than a few minutes so I am always slumped or sprawled on the sofa. I can't even use a wireless mouse as it gets caught on my clothing.

I just sold my hit and miss printer this evening. The last one I gave away and the guy who took it away said it just had a tiny fleck of paper jam left. This man wanted to make sure it worked so he fiddled with it till it started working again. Something Brother CSRs wouldn't or couldn't do. At least I got a bit of money for this one.
BelleAndTheYank

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often times, it is best to remove the plastic part under the key, usually called a hinge, assemble it into the key off the keyboard and then press the key assembly back on. Study the orientation of the hinge carefully before removing.
Usually, once this starts though, it continues. You can try switching the plastic hinge underneath with one from another key you hardly ever use. Lots of youtube videos on laptop key service.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to look on YouTube. I'm old school. Still don't realize how much info can be found online.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: