eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Using Stripe - Can customers see it's a safe pmt method?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grannysbargainattic

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Using Stripe - Can customers see it's a safe pmt method? Reply with quote

I removed most of the items from my store a few months ago due to a family illness (couldn't keep up the store). I am now placing them back online and noticed the availability of linking to Stripe as a payment option. I studied using Stripe, linked it, and went to checkout to see how it looked. On the page where a customer is asked to place the credit card information, there is nothing stating that the site is secure. I am used to seeing this on a page where I enter my card information, not after I hit submit. Is this shown to the customers anywhere? Am I missing something? Thanks for the help.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
grannysbargainattic

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Using Stripe - Clarification of My Question Reply with quote

I see that no one has replied to my question about using Stripe, and I really could use some help, so I thought I would clarify my question, plus make sure I'm posting this properly.

I understand customers can't see the behind the scenes credit card processing gateway, Stripe, but when most customers enter their credit card information they want to see that their information is processed on a secure, encrypted, site. So, does eCrater show this on the page where customers enter their card information, or elsewhere? If not, does anyone state that it's safe in their FAQ's? I sure could use help with understanding this as I am updating my store.
YardSaleBargains

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I clicked on your item to purchase it I chose "proceed to checkout" (which is for stripe payments). When I arrived on that page to enter my credit card info a "lock" icon appears in my address bar on the top of the page. If you click on the "lock" it shows this page is "encrypted" and is safe.

My lock icon is shown in the address bar on top of the page in Internet Explorer. Sometimes its located in other areas depending on what browser your using. Try again and look for the "lock" icon that appears on the credit card page. Click on the lock and see that it says this page is "encrypted". Hope I helped answer your question.
grannysbargainattic

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Using Stripe - Can customers see it's a safe pmt method? Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your reply. You were very helpful; at least I know that it does appear somewhere. I never use IE, only Firefox. I signed in with IE and saw the icon you mentioned; it doesn't appear in Firefox. This is most interesting, because many people use Firefox. When using IE, the icon appears small. I certainly wish the wording was on the page in eCrater where customers enter their credit card information. As soon as I re-build my store, I'll attempt to contact someone at eCrater and ask if people have been mentioning this and what others are doing to make customers feel more comfortable about entering their card information. Again, thank you so very much!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Stripe - Can customers see it's a safe pmt method? Reply with quote

grannysbargainattic wrote:
Thank you so much for your reply. You were very helpful; at least I know that it does appear somewhere. I never use IE, only Firefox. I signed in with IE and saw the icon you mentioned; it doesn't appear in Firefox. This is most interesting, because many people use Firefox. When using IE, the icon appears small. I certainly wish the wording was on the page in eCrater where customers enter their credit card information. As soon as I re-build my store, I'll attempt to contact someone at eCrater and ask if people have been mentioning this and what others are doing to make customers feel more comfortable about entering their card information. Again, thank you so very much!
I use Firefox and the lock does appear just as described. Maybe you are not using the Navigation Toolbar feature of Firefox. In Firefox, click on View -> Toolbars and make sure there is a checkmark beside the Navigation Toolbar. I believe it is the default, but you may have turned it off at some point. When you are on the checkout page, the padlock icon will appear to the left of the address which will be shown as starting with https.

If you are on the checkout page and hold your mouse over the lock it will say "Verified by: Thawte, Inc." If you click on the lock you'll see more information with a link to click for even more information.

Again, I only use Firefox and this is what I see from the checkout page on eCRATER.

Some sites will have "seals" from companies that assure the site is secure. Most (if not all) those seals charge big bucks to super big bucks for websites to use those seals. Since we don't pay "big bucks" we can't expect eCRATER to pay for those services.
grannysbargainattic

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Using Stripe - Can customers see it's a safe pmt method? Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your reply, and yes I now see it. Thanks to everyone for the help. It is still not what I would like my customers to see, but I understand about the cost of the "Seals." Thanks!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: