eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

New Store open - Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenstrends

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: New Store open - Newbie Reply with quote

Good morning all!
I'm finally making progress on adding items to my store. I'm still new to all this and any tips, advice, etc. would be appreciated on how to get my store out there.

http://jenstrends.ecrater.com
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to eCrater, just looking around your store, it looks like a great beginning. However you are responsible for packages until it reaches your buyer. How would you feel if you bought something from the Target website and it got lost in mail and they just said, "Oh well, not my problem" and kept your money?

It seems like the pacifier clips could be priced a little higher. You should use the word "pacifier"somewhere in your listings, some people will use that when searching.

Last edited by SammysSupplies on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
viewfinders

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to eCRATER.

Pretty bows but what is a paci clip. Never mind. I see from the above message.
jenstrends

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SammysSupplies wrote:
Hi and welcome to eCrater, just looking around your store, it looks like a great beginning. However you are responsible for packages until it reaches your buyer. How would you feel if you bought something from the Target website and it got lost in mail and they just said, "Oh well, not my problem" and kept your money?

It seems like the pacifier clips could be priced a little higher. You should use the word "pacifier"somewhere in your listings, some people will use that when searching.

Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it and I will make those changes. As far as the pricing, I guess I'm kinda scared off pricing too high
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen, I first started selling on line with books. The first time I ran into a really rare book to price, I knew I had to go over my 'usual' pricing. I literally closed my eyes to type in the price of $50+. It sold within a few weeks. But it was very hard for me to do. For what I sell now, I'm trying to appeal to an audience that is wealthier than I and they willingly pay my prices. Very few times has someone tried to get me to lower my prices.
Anyhow sometimes you need to crawl out of your comfort zone.

It depends on what area in the country where you are from what a pacifier is called. I've heard them referred to as binkies, plugs, Susie plugs (these last two from my time in Canada) and others that I can't remember right now. It shouldn't take long to do a search of pacifier names to use as keywords in your titles since you still have space and also in your descriptions.
jenstrends

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Jen, I first started selling on line with books. The first time I ran into a really rare book to price, I knew I had to go over my 'usual' pricing. I literally closed my eyes to type in the price of $50+. It sold within a few weeks. But it was very hard for me to do. For what I sell now, I'm trying to appeal to an audience that is wealthier than I and they willingly pay my prices. Very few times has someone tried to get me to lower my prices.
Anyhow sometimes you need to crawl out of your comfort zone.

It depends on what area in the country where you are from what a pacifier is called. I've heard them referred to as binkies, plugs, Susie plugs (these last two from my time in Canada) and others that I can't remember right now. It shouldn't take long to do a search of pacifier names to use as keywords in your titles since you still have space and also in your descriptions.

I almost cringed when I upped my prices. Lol. And I know the prices are still cheap, but I'm also taking in the consideration of shipping. Thanks so much for the Advice.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen you have to remember that people buying bows and paci clips online are either people too busy to shop in stores, people who live in remote areas where your items are not available, or people who are too lazy to shop brick and mortar.

Ask what you feel is a fair price for your time and materials and charge enough shipping to cover postage and packaging supplies. The tight budgeters are not buying bows and paci clips at any price so having rock bottom prices will make your potential buyers suspect that the items are of shoddy construction.

A lot of crafters will deny that their time is valuable and that they do this in their spare time, while the children are napping or while they are watching TV. But the truth is that the time spent making the crafts is time that could be spent doing something else even if it is packing tomorrow's lunches or soaking in the tub so therefore it is valuable.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Maggie. Whole books could be written on why women doing crafts to resell devalue their time like they do. It isn't just their time either as they don't charge for overhead (lights, heat, mortgage/rent) even though I'm sure most crafters' have a lot of stuff taking up space that could also be used for other things. For some reason they think that as long as they make enough to buy their next skein of yarn or what have you, that is all they need. It is sad.

They need hubbies like mine that come and flat out tell them that they aren't charging enough and to raise prices! Very Happy I know with me it was a self-esteem issue and the fact that I grew up poor and frugal all my life and couldn't believe that anyone would pay so much for what I was selling. It gets easier as the years roll by and your inventory keeps selling at the higher cost. You start to believe in yourself and your inventory as well Very Happy
jenstrends

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat wrote:
Jen you have to remember that people buying bows and paci clips online are either people too busy to shop in stores, people who live in remote areas where your items are not available, or people who are too lazy to shop brick and mortar.

Ask what you feel is a fair price for your time and materials and charge enough shipping to cover postage and packaging supplies. The tight budgeters are not buying bows and paci clips at any price so having rock bottom prices will make your potential buyers suspect that the items are of shoddy construction.

A lot of crafters will deny that their time is valuable and that they do this in their spare time, while the children are napping or while they are watching TV. But the truth is that the time spent making the crafts is time that could be spent doing something else even if it is packing tomorrow's lunches or soaking in the tub so therefore it is valuable.

Wow..To tell you the truth, I never even considered that idea (about why people shop online). That makes a lot of sense, and I have had many people tell me, that they don't see how I'm making any money (profit) from the price I charge on my items.

Thanks for that insight!
jenstrends

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
I agree with Maggie. Whole books could be written on why women doing crafts to resell devalue their time like they do. It isn't just their time either as they don't charge for overhead (lights, heat, mortgage/rent) even though I'm sure most crafters' have a lot of stuff taking up space that could also be used for other things. For some reason they think that as long as they make enough to buy their next skein of yarn or what have you, that is all they need. It is sad.

They need hubbies like mine that come and flat out tell them that they aren't charging enough and to raise prices! Very Happy I know with me it was a self-esteem issue and the fact that I grew up poor and frugal all my life and couldn't believe that anyone would pay so much for what I was selling. It gets easier as the years roll by and your inventory keeps selling at the higher cost. You start to believe in yourself and your inventory as well Very Happy

My husband tells me the same thing! And of course, I try to convince him that it "really doesn't cost that much to make"...but in all honesty...I'm not really hardly anything and the statement you just made, about charging enough to buy my next material...That hit the nail right on the head...Such an eye opener.

I, too, am very frugal and think about other people who want an item, but in some situations, just don't have the money (as I did when I was younger)

Thanks so much
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I, too, am very frugal and think about other people who want an item, but in some situations, just don't have the money (as I did when I was younger)

When my mother and I used to go to craft exhibits and I saw something I liked she always told me I could make it myself for cheaper, even if it isn't the type of thing I usually made. When it comes right down to it, if a poorer person wants something like your bows, etc. all they have to do is borrow appropriate books or snag a friend that makes them and learn how. This is why we try to tap the richer folks that have more money than time! Or like many of my US customers that shop for patterns in the middle of the night!
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: