eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

duplicate order

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baystatejem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: duplicate order Reply with quote

hello, fellow sellers,

this morning, i received two orders or payments for one item (i have only one copy), one via paypal and the other via stripe. called the buyer,but no answer. emailed her and asked to call me and confirm (and cancel one of the two) but no answer so far. i suspect a kid using mom's credit card as it is an expensive animation dvd. do i need to contact the ecrater admin too, in case? what's the ecrater admin email address?

thanks for your advice as always.

baystatejem
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@baystatejem

Did you really receive two payments, or received two orders and one payment ?

The Stripe order could not have been created without payment. Classic/standard (i.e. non-express) could have been run without a payment tho.

What does with quantity on the listing currently show ?
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bay state. As long as you only have one copy and are sure that you got two orders, which you can tell by going to both Stripe and PP and seeing that the money is there, then refund one of the payments. No need to make phone calls, etc. Just send the buyer an email, explain that somehow they paid twice, you only have one copy, so you are refunding one payment and shipping the item to them.

I wouldn't suspect that it was a kid that did this as most kids tend to be more computer savvy than adults. These things happen and they are usually just a fluke with the customer. Unless the orders came through the marketplace, you don't need to let the ecrater team know and even then, they monitor the refunds and technically you don't need to write them. Just double check your marketplace fee on the 15th or 16th to be sure you only got charged once. If they charged you twice for it, then you can send them the info at that time.

The ecrater email address/contact info is on the main page of the marketplace at ecrater.com
baystatejem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray & moonwishestore,

both stripe and paypal have payments processed and ready for me to take.

current inventory is 0.

i had only one listed, and i have only one in stock.

payments came in one after the other, with a few minutes apart. i don't know how long it takes before the inventory becomes zero and the buyer can't purchase it any more.

both came through marketplace.

i had one sale where i sent the item (an expensive video game) and over a month later, the buyer claimed it was an unauthorized order and paypal took my money back to the buyer. i ended up with no merchandise and no money.

i am not sending anything until the card holder calls me and verifies the order.

thanks for the ecrater email addy info.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@baystatejem

If they both came thru close together (I'm going to guess the PayPal was first), what may have happened is the customer laced the order, did not see any notification from PayPal, backed up their browser window, and did it again via Stripe. In the past, the quantity would go negative, but something changed recently and that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

The other question is, did the listing actually go into Hold ?
baystatejem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray,

the listing has "0" for inventory, and it doesn't show up at all when i search it as a customer. i'm not sure what you mean by "hold" though.

yesterday, i emailed ecrater admin and asked them to look into this.

this morning, i called the buyer's phone number again, and the buyer actually answered my call and said it was all mistake. i told her she had paid twice and asked her to cancel both orders by contacting stripe and paypal.

thanks for following the development and helping shed a light on this.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
asked her to cancel both orders by contacting stripe and paypal

Why cancel both orders? Did the customer tell you what had happened and she only meant to buy one item? If so, then you could have very easily gone in and canceled/refunded the one payment for her at the other payment processer and taken the other payment and shipped to her. Having a customer cancel an order may mean that she never reorders and so you lost a paid order.

Generally it takes up to 15 minutes for PP to turn a quantity of one to zero (and place the listing on hold) which is why occasionally these things happen. I had a customer that bought one pattern, then bought that same pattern plus another one and then bought both of those again plus yet another one and paid all three times. I just refunded the first two payments and sent the three things. I emailed her what had happened and what I was doing about it. I have sold here for years with over 4000 orders and just about every squirrelly thing that could happen I have had happen to me and I have never had to make a phone call to a customer. Any 'problem' was easily handled by email. Perhaps that is because we have a land line and no free long distance and I hate talking on the phone.

You seemed concerned about verifying this order. Do you call all your customers to verify that they really bought the item and not their 10 year old?

If the item is down to a quantity of zero, it should be showing as on 'hold' in your products list and on the listing in your store unless you have deleted the listing itself.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baystatejem wrote:
the listing has "0" for inventory, and it doesn't show up at all when i search it as a customer. i'm not sure what you mean by "hold" though.

On the admin screen, for that listing, there is a checkbox for 'Item on Hold' (or something similar). See if it is checked or not.

Quote:
this morning, i called the buyer's phone number again, and the buyer actually answered my call and said it was all mistake. i told her she had paid twice and asked her to cancel both orders by contacting stripe and paypal.

The customer really doesn't have anything further to do, once you have been told that they really do not want the items. You should go into PayPal and Stripe and refund the payments. The customer never has any reason to directly contact Stripe, that is your responsibility (unless you really want to get a $15 chargeback fee).
baystatejem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmic ray,

why is it my responsibility to cancel and pay the fee, twice?
that's the most absurd thing i've heard.
plus, i have nothing to show to anyone that the buyer made mistakes, twice, didn't lift a finger to correct it until i did everything to contact her.
now i have to speak for her without authority or evidence and pay the fine, twice, for her?
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baystatejem wrote:
cosmic ray,

why is it my responsibility to cancel and pay the fee, twice?
that's the most absurd thing i've heard.
plus, i have nothing to show to anyone that the buyer made mistakes, twice, didn't lift a finger to correct it until i did everything to contact her.
now i have to speak for her without authority or evidence and pay the fine, twice, for her?

Hi !

Obviously you do not understand how Stripe works. If Stripe cleared a payment to you, then you have to go to the Stripe dashboard, find the payment, and refund it. The customer has no access to Stripe. The customer will go to their bank, and tell them something about wanting the payment canceled, and the bank's only option (assuming you have not done a refund) is to initiate a chargeback. If you let it go down that road, you will lose the payment and be assessed a $15 chargeback fee as well. It is greatly in your interest to be proactive and unwind the payment before that happens.

Does this help ?
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And refunding a payment is only 30 cents! At least at PP.

Why you should be the one that does the legwork on this is you are the seller and it is good customer service, it saves you money, leaves you with a customer thinking they had contact with an honest seller, and as it was pointed out, the buyer has no contact with Stripe. It is only a credit card processing business and the customer would have no way of knowing how to contact them.

Not sure why your customer wanted BOTH orders cancelled since she had wanted it bad enough to pay twice for it, and as to 'not lifting a finger' to take care of it. If she didn't realize what had happened, why would she do anything?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: