eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Hello, New to eCRATER, New store open. Any advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLDISCOUNT-JEWELRY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Hello, New to eCRATER, New store open. Any advice? Reply with quote

Hello all! Trying to get away from eBay and try something new here. I have a shop and sell many different items, mainly antiques and jewelry. I also make my own jewelry. I do my own lapidary work and some wire wrapping. I only use quality materials. Please take a look at my store and let me know how to make it better. I only have 24 items listed at the moment but have many more items in stock, just working on the listings to get them on. My store is http://jldiscount-jewelry.ecrater.com/
Any help or criticism would be appreciated. Jim
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Title is block print hard to read, needs some indents, spaces, paragraphs and is a little bit too technical-ish (numbers, price matching etc etc) and not like a title. I am not some online sales guru so don't kill me.

Use the title while thinking of what search keywords you want people to find, they search for a "ring" but not type in shipping, or other unrelated things that have nothing to do with the products you sell.
I would not offer price matching, take it one sale at a time.

Forget about the payment must be made in 48 hours, if you have a non paid order, just delete it whenever you feel you should or want. Or you can contact the buyer, it's up to you.

More block print on the about page.

Contact page, you might just put the store name and an email, keep it simple.
They will know when they have a question, so that page ends up on search, it will just show your store name and email, and easy to copy email address.

Maybe put the sentence below that.

Store logo, can't read it, it can be sized taller, use text that you can just glance at, no squinting, along with light on dark, or dark on light colors.

You might want to kill off the money order and checks, if they want something bad enough they will ask and you can adjust terms or add the shipping address for that one sale, once a check is used, that's up to you.

Switch to paypal express unless you have it already.
Take the dive into using Stripe card processor for payments, since you have higher priced items. I am too chicken to sign up, facing chargebacks. But if you know it might help people spend their money using their credit cards and not have to use paypal for everything. Using Stripe is probably just as risky as anything else, I may sign up someday.

In the items titles, starting out with " .50 CTW SI - I2 " is not a "diamond" try using the first letters that you think people type in and search for AND see below your picture in the ecrater marketplace views.

Like a "Diamond ring .50 carat" not all that abbreviation stuff, I have no idea what a CT W is or SI but I do know what "size" is, if I needed to search for that.

Also not too sure about using all CAPS for titles.

rock on !!!!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are wasting characters in your title and making them a jumbled hard to read mess. No one searches for 'marvelous' anything, so that word and other like it such as precious, classy, etc. need to go elsewhere. All the numbers and cwt are in the way from a potatentil buyer seeing what is important to them such as :

Diamond Ruby Ring Size 7.5 sterling silver platinum band New

Don't forget that all caps on the internet is the equivilant of shouting.

Within your description you can describe stones and weight and how many etc. If a person is looking for a ring, they are looking for a certain size and type of ring such as diamond and or ruby, so that is what is important to catch their eye in the title and the rest in the description. Don't forget that just because these weights and measurements are familiar to you doens' mean your customer will understand. You could possibly refer them to your FAQ where those things can be explained.

I agree about the unreadable logo, your picture is too small on the home page. Try to sort your about you and terms pages into small paragraphs. Youalso might want to explain more about the silver coated with platinum process as that is something I have never heard of.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to eCRATER.

Looks like you have taken care of some of the issues mentioned by other sellers. I saw one confusing title. It is the one for a packet of loose diamonds. Your title says diamond and you show a puddle of them. Your description talks about a lot of diamonds. Judging from your title alone I would consider that I'd be buying 1x .25ct diamond.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am understanding Maggie right, and I think I am, that puddle of diamonds is greatly reduced in number for the actual amount that the buyer would be receiving. It looks to me like you are actually selling 40 loose diamonds? If so then you should only be showing 40 diamonds in the photos. Showing several hundreds and then if a buyer gets only 40 they will be leaving you negative feedback for cheating them faster that you can blink your eyes. Buyers do not read listings very well. So they see in the picture all these diamonds and think that is what they will get. And are they getting 40 1/4 carat diamonds or 40 diamonds that their weight adds up to a quarter carat? It is very confusing and like I mentioned before, you need to explain things to people that might want to buy but don't understand all the terminology. I know when I saw your sizes of the diamons in mm I pulled out my measuring tape and my own ring that has multiple diamonds and if I'm looking at things at least similar sizing, if someone sneezed while holding these diamonds they would scattered perhaps to never be seen again becasue 1-1.5 mm is tiny. I understand that you said they would be smaller than shown, but you really need to emphasize how tiny and how few they get. If is better to be very upfront with buyers than to have things that can cause misunderstanding. You may also want to say a bit about what these size of diamonds are used for -- not for a solitare but for all the tiny sparkly things to highlight bigger stones in rings and necklaces.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title of the listing should contain the size. Your prospective customer may be scanning a list of items (from multiple sellers). Having the size there helps them decide which ones to look closer at, and which ones to ignore.

This listing ...
http://jldiscount-jewelry.ecrater.com/p/20259715/25-ct-loose-natural-white-diamond

With all due respect, the description says "This .25 Carat pack contains 40 diamonds". The main image shows many more than 40. This is borderline deceitful. Either make the package size what is shown in the picture, or take a new picture showing the proper quantity.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact page much better, however, from what I was saying about easily copied.
Just edit by hitting enter once, no colon.
so the email shows up in it's own line to easily copy.

So it has it's own line of text too copy.

Your other edits , great, but is still block print.

Block style print donates a set of rules, do you want to rattle off a pile of rules that no one can read. OR would you rather attract bees to honey?
Like some flakey sweepstake, fake rules.

The FIRST thing I think while reading block print is, what are they trying to cover up, or, what's the scam ? and not read it, then throw it away instantly.

Add paragraphs to mention EACH point you want, so people won't get turned off.

Block print is like this.
AAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAA

Unlike this.
___ AAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
SPACE (hit enter)
_____ AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I had use the underscore for the forum.

Everyone IS correct, I want that pile of diamonds you show, heck ya 40 bucks, but you couldn't build a much worse reputation from your very first sale.

Just like ebay, they show a pile of something, but all you get is to pick 3, forget that. show me the ACTUAL deal.

Last edited by A-Better-Way on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim, Welcome to eCrater. I see you have already made changes suggested by the other sellers. Your store is looking really nice. There was some discussion about all caps and I'd like to mention that it is helpful if your item page meets the suggestions by Google Shopping since eCrater sends a feed of our items. Google Shopping says "Do Not" use all caps in your title or say free shipping in the title. So that is yet another reason for not using all caps.

Your titles could still use some improvement. In eBay, a customer will usually view a title within a category where the category information is assumed. In eCrater, the search is title only and the information in the title is extremely important to be found both on eCrater and (more importantly) on major search engines. We have 100 characters available to describe the item being sold. If the customer can't see the picture OR the category, does your title contain enough information to stand out in a crowd and draw the customer to click on your item? In your loose diamond category, you should make sure that your title says or indicates that the diamond is loose. Also, what makes your product special? (Natural, uncut, rough, earth mined, conflict free, replacements). You have used a number of keywords, but you could add more. For example, in one title you start with the weight before you even mention what you are selling. ".25 CTW Pack of replacement diamonds" might attract more customers if it said "Pack of 40 Replacement Diamonds Round cut .25 Ct. total weight natural earth mined". In my example, I've still only used 82 characters, so you have an additional 18 you could use. Also, the title, as it appears in most search engines, is between 60 to 65 characters. If the title is shortened to 63 characters, you still have "Pack of 40 Replacement Diamonds Round cut .25 Ct. total weight".

One thing I suggest to "new to eCrater" sellers is to preview their store, click on a category, switch to list view (instead of gallery), cover the photos and look at your titles. Do the titles really encourage a customer to look at your item instead of someone else selling a similar item? Your title is usually the hook that is going to get the customer into your store from Google, Google Shopping, Bing, Yahoo Search, DuckDuckGo, or any other WWW search engine.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The title of the listing should contain the size. Your prospective customer may be scanning a list of items (from multiple sellers). Having the size there helps them decide which ones to look closer at, and which ones to ignore.

I won't argue with that, but when a title (like the original one did) has more numbers and abbreviations, etc. than plain text it is rather hard to understand and my eyes felt like they were spinning to even begin to read the title much less compare it with another seller's items. It does look much better now although in the actual listing I would still recommend writing out the distinction between carat weight and CWT to be sure the buyer understands what they are buying. Educating buyers in specific niches is one of the things that is important for a seller to do that can lead to more customers and repeat customers.
Itsmygaragesales

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim and Welcome! I found this topic link below to be very helpful. It is an older post, but still helpful.
Fred...
http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=7227
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: