eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Need advice what category will be better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldenstonebazaar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Need advice what category will be better Reply with quote

eCrater doesn't have sub-category for what I sell, need advice what from existing categories would be better.
I'm making and selling handmade leather sheaths for folding knives, model-specific for collectible production (not handmade) knives. Just as cases for Samsung smart phones are model specific (Cell Phones > Accessories).

On eBay, this goes under Collectibles > Knives, Swords > Production Knives > Sheaths (quoting from memory, may be not exact).

If the category should be where buyer comes to find the product, then, from eCrater categories it should be Collectibles > Knives, Swords, Blades. There is no sub-category "accessories" for them. Leather sheaths are not knives, it could be considered as breach of rules, wrong categorization.

If I place them in Crafts > Handmade or Crafts > Leathercrafts, nobody ever will come there to find shearths for particular knife model there.
There is also Sports and Outdoors > Outdoors > Camping and Hiking, but these sheaths are for daily use for who needs them for their work or for collectors. There were no sales when I placed these sheaths in Outdoors category on eBay.
Neither Clothing and Accessories > Accessories would be where they come to look for sheaths - dressing belt is accessory for clothing. Sheath is accessory for knife, just as case for smartphone is accessory for smartphone.

Any advice, please?
Thanks.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
elpereles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact eCrater for the suggestion.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This I would think is an instance where you need an A+ title and descriptions so that buyers don't need to go through categories to find them, so that if crafts>leathergoods or whatever is the category you have to use since you have to use a global category, the Knife sheath title will be sure to get them to the correct listing(s). Of course within your own store you can have them in whatever category you make up.

This is also a case where a good promotional spot would be Pinterest with a knife sheath board with a photo and a good description because google even posts some Pinterest posts.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you've shown in another post that you are interested in a good placement on Google Shopping and since eCrater uses the global / subglobal categories to create the value for the attribute "product_type", I would contact eCrater customer service. I would give them the same basic information you posted here and see what they suggest. It would be helpful for them if you let them know the quantity of items you are going to be posting. They would probably not be interested in a new sub-category for one item, but if that is your primary store content it may make a difference.

The customer service here is GREAT in my opinion. The staff is small and it may take a little longer to get a response than on some sites, but the answer is usually worth the wait. (I hate to get "answers" on some other sites where they simply send an auto created email that doesn't even address your question.)
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your knife sheaths would get most attention if they were in the knife category. If you were trying to list a purse in that category people might take issue but sometimes it is the only option when a related item has no category. As an example, I list scarf clips in the scarf category because there is no category for scarf clips.
goldenstonebazaar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, it was very informative!

I'll contact eCrater and titles and descriptions are already search-ready.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(I hate to get "answers" on some other sites where they simply send an auto created email that doesn't even address your question.)

You and me both. Or writing in several times for problems of the same type that all require an email to fix something and getting three different answers in form letter style, one of which saying they can't change anything another saying they will change it and the other basically blowing me off, and then sending in yet one more email and being told to HOLD all questions until I have a sufficient number that they can deal with all at once. Evil or Very Mad I guess they got tired of me telling them that they had let people make up incorrect listings that needed fixed so I could list my item!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: