eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Can you do Free ship to US and Calculated for Canada?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiddenBeauty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Can you do Free ship to US and Calculated for Canada? Reply with quote

I can't figure out how to do free shipping to US and Calculated for other countries.

I've even tried to do just free ship to US, but after I update it goes back to Fixed pricing.

I'm totally at a loss,

Thanks
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can do what you are asking but I don't have time to explain at the moment. I'll be back with the answer later this evening if someone else doesn't answer you first. Very Happy
hiddenBeauty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! Very Happy
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiddenBeauty wrote:
I can't figure out how to do free shipping to US and Calculated for other countries.
The first thing you need to do is make sure you have the packaged weight of each item. The weight will be entered on the item page and you need to click on the button by "Weight Dependable". The weight needs to be entered as a decimal of a pound. In other words, if the item weighs 2 & 1/2 pounds you would enter it as 2.5. There is a real handy chart on the first page, close to the bottom, in this thread: Solutions to Common Questions - SHIPPING MATRIX & MORE http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=2461. I keep a copy of the chart beside my computer for quick reference.

Next, go to Account:->Options and click "Enable USPS Calculated Shipping Instead". In the boxes below, select the International Services you want to offer. DO NOT SELECT any type of Domestic Services.

Now go to the Shipping Matrix and enter 0.00 in every box all the way across for the rows for US-Mainland, Alaska, and Hawaii.

The USPS Calculated Shipping over-rides any other type of shipping you select. When you click Weight Dependable the calculated shipping is going to apply. Since there is no Domestic Service selected, the system will check the shipping matrix which says charge $0.00 for shipping for the US. Now you have your free shipping for the US.

For each international country you wish to add to your shipping, you will need to add the country to your Shipping Zone chart. Once you add the country in your Shipping Zone, that country will be added to your shipping matrix. Your shipping matrix will only be accessed by the system for international shipping if the USPS website is not returning a reply to the shipping request. This doesn't happen very often, but it can happen. If you don't fill out the shipping matrix, and the USPS server times out, your international customer will not be charged for shipping.

Before you add a new country for shipping, I would suggest you check the International Mail Manual to make sure that every item in your store can be mailed to that country. Here's a link: http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/welcome.htm When you go there, look in the left column for "Individual Country Listings" and look for the country you wish to add. Take for example Canada. The first section lists all the Prohibitions which you can review to see if any of your products are on the list. (I sell books and have to watch for "Reprints of Canadian or British works copyrighted in Canada" which I can't list in my eCRATER store because I can't mail them to Canada.)

Once you know it's ok to add that country to your shipping zones, use this link: [url}http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/Notice123.pdf[/url] to see the amount of shipping to the selected country. You will have to decide on the shipping method you will use as your back-up in the matrix because you only get one row. The Notice 123 shows both Retail Prices and Commercial Prices. The USPS Calculated shipping on eCrater is going to charge your customer based on the Retail Price. If you buy your postage online, you will be paying the lower commercial price. You will have to decide on an amount you can live with as a back-up for shipping.

It sounds like a lot, but you'll need to do Canada and a couple of other groups. Unless you plan to ship to almost every corner of the globe, you'll see that most of the countries to which you want to ship will fall within 2 or 3 groups so you'll only be doing the math for the shipping matrix for 3 or 4 groups.

If any of this isn't clear, let me know.
vintageinterestnmore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheilas
That was probably the best, most concise answer I've ever seen to anyone's question. I think even I could accomplish that task using your directions.
You're a good egg. Thanks for the response. I may even use it in the future.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@vintage, Sheila always has the good answers for those kind of questions! Things I know she has explained well I don't ever bother to try to answer myself Very Happy We are pivileged to have her here.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ vintageinterestnmore and MoonwishesStore ... Ya'll are makin' me blush Embarassed .. Thank you both for your kind words.
I really enjoy helping folks. When I started selling online (back in the dark ages it seems) I had a lot of people who were willing to spend their time to help me. I'm still passing on their kindness.
I'll have a smile all day,
Sheila
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@SheilaDeesPostcards
Thank you for the lucid explanation. That has been told enough times, that it really ought to be in a sticky of it's own. In fact, we really should have a unique section of the community for Shipping questions (as they keep getting splattered all over the place).

ETA: In fact, Payments (and payment services) should be in it's own area also.
hiddenBeauty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Sheila,
It worked! So happy.
Now I just have to figure out attributes, that will be for another topic.

Have a Great Weekend! Laughing
deannamoyers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Wonderful explanation Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the excellent explanation. I do use calculated shipping but never knew there was a way to use free for some and calculated for others.

http://deannamoyers.ecrater.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: