eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

wiseowlbookshop new to ecrater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiseowlbookshop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: wiseowlbookshop new to ecrater Reply with quote

wiseowlbookshop here
Store set-up commenced 15 October.
Thanks go out to MoonwishesStore for responding to template questions.
As it must for other new sellers here, ecrater seems an unbelievable alternative to ebay.
The simplicity of listing at ecrater is a real advantage.
Despite a fairly quick learning curve, there are a few questions to ask:
1) As it has apparently been for other new sellers, the matrix is a mystery to me
The ecrater Store Set Up topic explanation indicates that the Shipping Matrix is useful for multiple quantity sales of a single item.
wiseowlbookshop sales at ebay have all been shipped using USPS media mail, and, as there are currently no materials costs involved, there is nothing else to add. Do any stores use the Shipping Matrix should there be materials costs?
Does the “Enable USPS Calculated Shipping Instead” feature under “Set Store Options” supercede the “Set Shipping Prices” specifications on the Shipping Matrix?
2) Some stores display a "Featured Categories" panel at the bottom of the store home-page. Is there is a menu selection via the Navigation sidebar on the Administrative Tool page to activate this feature? If not, how does it become activated?
3) The Promote Store page at More Options provides suggestions, some low or no cost such as forums and blogs. Are there any other no cost promotional options available?
Thanks
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My assumption for using the matrix is if you sell everything close to the same weights. I never tried to use it, but if you sold all items above 13 ounces but below 2 pounds, or everything was 10 pounds to 30 pounds.

I am not sure, but I think that is why one would want to use it.

It's good for streamlining cost, but could also be a trap if it's enabled.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiseowl, I use the matrix exclusively and I love it. Currently though my bread machine is beeping for attention and I can't probably get back to you until tomorrow. I did just answer someone about the categories thing so look at some of my post from today and yesterday.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sell books and media so you are a perfect candidate for using the matrix! I use the matrix for my sewing patterns and it works out very well including and especially for multiple item orders to get the shipping right. Now is you wanted to expand into shoes and purses and collectable teapots it might not work as well for you, but you can make it work.

Don't feel like an idiot about the Matrix. I think we all did. I studied and thought and studied and thought and suddenly the lightbulb went on and I couldn't believe how EASY it was!!!

I'm going to try to post a screen shot of my matrix figuring anyone wanting to know what I charged for shipping can just go to my store and spend some time figuring it out, but I'm hoping the screen shot might help.

Okay, shout out to Sheila--How does one post a screen shot???? Hot dog, through the magic of Pinterest!!!

The first thing you have to remember about computers is they are essentially stupid. Just because the matrix has weight up there at the top, doesn't mean it has to be a weight that you use. I pretend that it says items. So the first column 1 is what I use if someone orders 1 pattern from me, the second if they order 2, the 4 if they order 3-4, etc. up to 6 items for US buyers when I then send their stuff priority with no extra shipping charges even if they order 100 or 1000 pattersn because at this point I'm saving money by not paying PP/Stripe fees, and that first 2 ounces to the PO, so inreality I'm saving and the customer thinks (and they are) that they are getting a good deal!

For books you can do basically the same thing. Only you have column 1 represent the weight of the usual pocket paperback (whether you sell them or not) and 2 being the larger heavier trade paperback, then 4 is whatever you want to charge for your normal 1-2# book. At first you need to know the weights of what you are charging for, say the first column is for up to 8 ounces which is cheaper by first class, then the next column for a 1# book, then 2 pounds. Etc. You just weigh each book as you list and add in the estimated packing and slot it in under what 'weight' you need to use. That way if some buys two pocket paperbacks, a trade paperback and one hardocer 2# book, the matrix will return the cost for whatever you have in column 8. You will have to play around with the numbers as you want them to come out just right and not grossly over. The only time that happens to me is when someone buys a bunch of 2 ounce patterns. Since the normal weight is 3-4 oz, I may make some extra but that makes up for when someone buys several 5oz patterns. With only very rare exemptions ALL of my patterns have the same shipping price initially. Or you can skip the cheaper prices and just use a flat rate for each book and use the matrix to add up the total to what you have to charge for that estimated weight.

Probably clear as mud, but something to look at and think about how to apply it to you. You lick the matrix and ecrater is a piece of cake at that point.
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I just wanted to say - Welcome to eCrater.

I am relatively new myself - but the learning curve is a short one.

I just wanted to add one thing about the matrix question - even if you do not plan on using it - you should still fill it out. If the usps site goes down, the matrix should kick in.

I, for one, hope I never have to use it - but it is filled out anyhow.

Once again - Good luck! I hope you do well here.

I had trouble filling mine out in the beginning - I believe a lot of people do - so don't feel intimidated by that or any other chore you might have to accomplish on eCrater. It is all do-able.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little late on my reply but, welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: