eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Put on your thinking caps people !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Put on your thinking caps people ! Reply with quote

We have a thread running that asks how to better promote eCrater. Curiously it is in the off-topic section.

I have an idea about how to promote the site, but before proceeding, I need some feedback.

A common twitter hashtag for promoting items, which are listed on eCrater. Something that can be voluntarily included when a seller here is promoting on twitter, that ties together all such promotions.

My first thought was #ecrater, but a quick check on twitter shows that has been co-opted by certain adult promotions that have nothing to do with eCrater (or if they do, I'm not going to chase down the connection).

So the question is ... What hashtag would have high recognition and recall, but is not currently being used ? Ideas please !
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
viewfinders

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have a twitter account, I have no idea how to use it. I really don't know how to use #s. So no suggestions.

I am really curious about the #ecrater. Is it someone who sells adult products here? Can't imagine why anyone else would use that hashtag. Except maybe I would check it out as it could be an angry X seller who is being vindictive. Maybe the competition.
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Put on your thinking caps people ! Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
A common twitter hashtag for promoting items, which are listed on eCrater. Something that can be voluntarily included when a seller here is promoting on twitter, that ties together all such promotions.

My first thought was #ecrater, but a quick check on twitter shows that has been co-opted

I'll preface this by saying that I don't think a hashtag on Twitter or anything else is going to help promote eCrater. This is very simple...and has been since 2010. eCrater, like all other non-destination sites, relies on search engines for traffic. Google is far and away the biggest search engine, with no serious competition, and is likely to remain so for the foreseeable future. In 2010, Google began changing its algorithm so significantly that it no longer returned so-called "neutral" results...it instead returned results that in some way favored Google's interests above users' interests. As I've posted several times, it was so egregious that the NY Times ran an editorial on it. See http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=24767 . That is likely to continue, even more so, esp with Larry Page as Google CEO.

eCrater got hammered in 2010...eCrater's admin admitted that Google was no longer indexing the pages...and it has only marginally struggled back, made worse by the pay-to-play changes to Google Shopping in 2012. I had already posted in 2012 that eCrater had lost nearly 50% of its traffic over the previous year...and the last time I checked SiteAnalytics, monthly traffic was 300K-400K. It used to be, on average, about 1.2 million per month. See http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=31741

A hashtag is not going to overcome a traffic drop of 70%. Neither is individual promotion efforts, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, blogging, tweaking listings, adding more listings, fiddling with attributes, whatever. The only thing that is going to overcome Google's bias is money...by the truckloads...the way eBay and Amazon spend it. eBay's internet marketing budget in 2011 was $173 million, Amazon's was $199 million. eCrater cannot compete with that. Promotion cannot surmont that.

So, all that said, what about something to do with "selling on the moon"..."the moon" being the motif Dimitar chose in naming his company and also being the euphemism for eCrater, the way that "the river" is the reference to Amazon. See cuppatea's tutorial in the Store SetUp forum and also the History of eCrater in the FAQs.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is #tothemoon taken already? if not i'd grab that before nick at nite does.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox and fish summed it up very well. Google sold its soul. What does it take to set up a search engine that would work as well as Google search used to before they sold out. They need some real competition. Isn't this called a monopoly?
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do see other ecrater things from sellers for that #

I been adding it in to a few tweetrs here and there.
But if we drowned them out the tweets could easily be found.
I don't think anyone has a ownership of a hashtag name.
You could make #7ioujrfhbeiklwju but no one would search for that.

And you can find your tweets, via google, or other search engines.
BING contains all the stuff like we had before adwords came along.
I even ended up on one of those little top ad things first on the list at duckduckgo.

The only search google is good for around here for marketplace view is google shopping, they block the store view or regular links, or they made a mistake for the ones you can find..
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
Fox and fish summed it up very well. Google sold its soul. What does it take to set up a search engine that would work as well as Google search used to before they sold out. They need some real competition. Isn't this called a monopoly?

Going way off topic here. Google got where they are because they make sure that as many browsers default to Google as possible. The average browser user is either too lazy, or doesn't know how/why to select a different search engine. Google pays the browser creators to be the default selection. Follow the money.

This is why sites like Amazon have browser search plugins. The plugin effectively short-circuits the path, and bypasses Google/Bing/DDG/etc.

Back to hashtags !
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic, I don't think we need to reinvent a wheel that's working well. A quick check on Google for #ecrater shows that it is being used by ecrater sellers on twitter, instagram, pinterest, facebook and blogs. Yes there were a few tweets that I wouldn't click on when you do a search for #ecrater on twitter, but they seemed to be grouped and they probably do that on any hashtag that's popular. If you scroll down the list you'll see a huge usage for the tag by ecrater sellers.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see what I could discover by inputting ecrater into the Google search. After a few pages I ran into something called Ecrater 100 top sites. Although the site supposedly reset today, the store in the #1 spot has been updated since 2009! I didn't recognize any of the 100 stores listed either which I thought was a bit strange. Surely someone that posts on the forum would be a top 100 store. Nor could I figure out how the ranking was made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: