eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Help with Categories pictures & navigation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lillysloft

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Help with Categories pictures & navigation Reply with quote

1st. navigation, I set my computer to open on the log-in page, once I get there I have done my set-up of product, how do I get from there to the other pages, such as community, shopping etc.
2nd.-I now have two items listed, but both have just a category & sub category, I would like to add a 3rd. category, but I seems I can't, it makes that category (3rd. one, a main category). example: Toys, Games & Hobbies>Preschool Toys & Pretend Play>Littlest Pet Shop, is what I want it to look like, but each time I try, I seem to only end up with 2 categories.
3rd-I have somehow been able to final get one of my items to accept multi-pictures (2), after many attempts, but can't get it on 2nd. item.
please help me understand what I'm doing wrong.
Lilly
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Categories pictures & navigation Reply with quote

lillysloft wrote:
1st. navigation, I set my computer to open on the log-in page, once I get there I have done my set-up of product, how do I get from there to the other pages, such as community, shopping etc.

You can't. You have to have two settings bookmarked. You can't go from admin to community or vice versa.

2nd.-I now have two items listed, but both have just a category & sub category, I would like to add a 3rd. category, but I seems I can't, it makes that category (3rd. one, a main category). example: Toys, Games & Hobbies>Preschool Toys & Pretend Play>Littlest Pet Shop, is what I want it to look like, but each time I try, I seem to only end up with 2 categories.

It's been a while since I set up categories but it used to be you could set up sub sub categories. You have to click on your sub cat. and then click add category. At least that was how it used to be. But be careful with subs and subs. You might end up making your items invisible/impractical. If you have a lot of Littlest Pet Shop items to list make them no more than a sub cat. If you only have a few of any one thing, put them all under you toys main category or your preschool toys sub. Consider this: a shopper has to keep going back to your category list to look for more items and they won't stick around long if you only have a few items in each cat.

3rd-I have somehow been able to final get one of my items to accept multi-pictures (2), after many attempts, but can't get it on 2nd. item.
Lilly

Click on the camera at the top of your admin listing page. You can only add one pic at a time. You have to wait for them to load before advancing to the second. If that is what you are doing and have a problem you might need to report it as a problem to admin.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Categories pictures & navigation Reply with quote

lillysloft wrote:

Each item listed has two categories. One is a global category, the other is a local category. The global category is paired with a global sub-category. The Global Category pair is defined by eCrater. The local category is something you define, and can be some number of levels deep. You cannot connect one listing with two local categories.
Quote:
Lilly

Each line in Products, has a small camera icon out towards the right. After you have listed an item, click on that icon to
add one or more images.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I see my fellow sellers have already answered your questions, but I'll go ahead an add my answer that I was typing while they answered. Maybe if one doesn't "click" for someone, another answer will.

Welcome back to eCrater .. I'll try to answer your questions.
1) There is no way to go from the Marketplace, to Community, to your Store Admin. Most of us have 3 bookmarks set for store log-in, community and home page Marketplace. If you are on the eCrater home page (www.ecrater.com) there is a link to the Community, but not a link back to the main page. Also, you use the same log-in for the Community and your Store Admin, but you must sign in at both places. There are sections of the community only available when you are logged-in.

2)When you click on Categories you're shown a screen called Manage Categories and there is a blue bar that says Categories. In black type between those 2 headings it will say "Current category: root". Below the Categories bar you should see your first category listed "Toys, Games & Hobbies". To the right are 3 icons, a pencil (to edit the category), a red X (to delete the category AND everything in the category including any subcategories), and a Green arrow (used to move the category AND all it's contents to another category.

When you click on the category name, "Toys, Games & Hobbies", you should see a screen where the blue bar says Subcategories. Above the bar it should say "Current category: root > Toys, Games & Hobbies and below the bar are listed "Littlest Pet shop" and "Preschool Toys and Pretend Play". If you want to add another subcategory to "Toys, Games & Hobbies", just click on the button Add New Category. If you want to add a category to "Preschool Toys & Pretend Play", click on the category name. Now you'll see a screen where the Current category: "Current category: root > Toys, Games & Hobbies > Preschool Toys and Pretend Play. When you click the Add New Category button, you'll be adding a category to "Preschool Toys..." and you will have "Toys, Games & Hobbies>Preschool Toys & Pretend Play>Littlest Pet Shop".

Now, before you rush off to add new categories, you've already added the category "Littlest Pet Shop" with an item but it's in the wrong place. Click on the green arrow on the Littlest Pet shop line and you'll see a screen where you can choose a new parent category. Use the down arrow to see all your options and select "Preschool Toys ...". When you click the Update button, your category with it's items will be moved to a subcategory of "Preschool Toys...".

Always watch the line "Current category: " to make sure you are adding a new category to the correct subcategory.

3) Your first photo is added from the first page of add new item. You must click on the Update (or Update and Exit) button to keep the photo. If you had any errors, the photo goes away and you must Browse/open the photo again.) To add additional photos, while adding a new item, after clicking on Update for the first page, click on the tab at the top for Photos and you'll be taken to a new screen. where you repeat the Browse/open to select another photo, then click the Update button. Continue this procedure to add all additional photos, being sure to click the Update button after you select each photo. You can have 10 photos per item if needed. If you have already added an item and you want to add additional photos, just click on Products and click on the camera icon to the right of the item's title. NOTE: recently there was a change on eCrater and it is recommended that your photos be at least 800 px on one side to get good placement in the Marketplace search. Also, when your item is sent to Google Shopping, GS recommends your photos be at least 800px on both sides.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if when you are listing and the page bounces back for whatever reason, like the title is too long, you will have to reload the picture AND if you sell to UK and AU, you may have lost any prices that you had set for the item. Especially if you are doing a copy and paste they will revert back to the price of what you were copying from. So be sure that the prices, photo, etc. are all what you want before resubmitting a listing that you had an error on. But if you miss something, it is easy to edit - that is the pencil in the 6 boxes on the right side of the products page.

You will probably be slapping yourself upside the head after you have listed 20 things, and realizing just how easy it is/was and wonder why you couldn't figure it out initially. Ecrater is the easiest and quickest site to list on than I have ever used in almost 13 years of selling on line.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never ever loaded a photo into the listing page. I get everything else done and then click update which saves my listing. Then I click on the camera and load all my photos. I have never ever had a problem loading a pic or losing data using this method.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
I have never ever loaded a photo into the listing page. I get everything else done and then click update which saves my listing. Then I click on the camera and load all my photos. I have never ever had a problem loading a pic or losing data using this method.

Both ways work, unless you happen to be on dial-up. Then it is better to split them (voice of experience here).
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally load 2-3 photos now for new things, but old listings that were leftover from ebay only had one photo since it was too expensive to have more than one. So when I got here and was also on dial up for a couple years, I found it easier to load the first photo along with the listing info and have just stayed in the habit even with satellite and more photos. It all depends on what we find to be comfortable to do when listing.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I have it setup is I rename the bookmarks to

Ecrater Admin (would be logon to products)
Ecrater Front (for search or the front page of ecrater)
and the stock link name for the forum. (to logon of the forum)
3 bookmarks.

I do the same for all sites so things stay lined up alphabetically in favorites.
Like google front.
google analytics.
and so on.............

I see you can jump to the forums from the front page, if you wanted to get here that way.

One thing that confused me for months was I could never get back to the page in admin right after you logon, the tabs, google, news thing.

Just click the ecrater logo in admin, and that will show up again.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: