eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Is Stripe popular?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starbrush

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Is Stripe popular? Reply with quote

I am new to eCrater. I have not heard of Stripe before. Is this a must have? Do many people utilize it or Paypal? Thank you for your comments.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripe is not a consumer visible brand name. It is a merchant card processor. You may have already used Stripe (on other sites) and never knew about it.
Starbrush

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can use it on eCrater along with Paypal? I went to the site and it is a little confusing. But, Paypal has changed since its inception and I truly desired an alternative. Do many eCraters use Stripe? Question
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Stripe and PP in tandem since Stripe was made available for us. I quit using PP except for rare reasons in November (I don't like the changes also) so I'm just using Stripe and why not? Customers only know that I take 4 kinds of credit cards, they (stripe) processes the sale, I get my money and the buyer gets their purchase. Very easy. I've had little trouble with it. They deposit the money in your bank account without you having to tell them.

I haven't found a downside for me in using Stripe. Haven't got a clue how many use it or not. Some have mentioned that they are contemplating signing up. The thing is, we have no idea how many sellers there are here, least of all how many active ones, so there is no way of guessing how many would be using Stripe.

Many sellers use both of them but I figured as long as they take all the same kinds of credit cards as PP does/did then what difference does it make to sign up for it and then why bother with PP? As another poster mentioned, when you go into a grocery store or even a webstore of some type with only credit cards taken as payment, you as the customer never know what credit card processor the merchant is using. The buyer doesn't have to know so when you advertise payments you take, you don't want to say 'we take Stripe' which will mean nothing to a customer unless they are also an online seller. You would say 'we take Visa, MC DISC and I think it is AM Exp'. Those names buyers recognize.
Starbrush

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonwishes and Cosmic Ray, thank you so much. Great information. I think many of the online selling public believe Paypal is the only option. I am glad to be learning new things. Thank you again!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most welcome. Glad to be of help.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripe is not like Paypal. Customers don't create an account & link their bank cards to it, they don't even know Stripe exists unless they are sellers too & have used it before. It's like going to a national company's website like Macy's or Kohl's or Target, they don't tell you who processes their cards, all you know is that they give you a page to enter in your card info., you type it in & pay, and you're done. Same concept with Stripe.
viewfinders

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it in two of my stores. I've had 3 sales on it since we signed up. PayPal has name recognition and sometimes I wonder if other sellers use it because they have money on their accounts and limits on how much they can transfer each month.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripe outdid Paypal for me this Christmas season. It's a good thing. I also think they are doing well and are in expansion mode.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started getting more sales since adding Stripe as many people hate Paypal & Ebay but, I had to unlink Stripe for a bit. Had a company try to get in my bank acct. a while back and take an unauthorized payment. I never gave them my debit card or bank acct. numbers, I always paid with USPS money orders but somehow they found it out & sent me a letter saying they would take $643.41 from my acct. ending in XXXX if no payment was made by such & such date!

So, I closed that bank acct. to avoid having them take my money. It was for an early cancellation fee. Don't know about you, but I'm not paying that much for cancelling early. Cancellation fees are just "I'm a big baby and am mad that you're not gonna be paying me $240 a month anymore so I'm gonna get any extra money I can outta you in the meantime" fees. They can place that fee right up their wazoos while I look for a new bank. Can only use Stripe with a routing # so I can't link Stripe to my Paypal card.

That $643.41 was them charging me for the rest of last year for service I never even used. Ridiculous!
Starbrush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Whew...you folks are awesome! Reply with quote

Mysterious Rose, that is horrible. Sure a lot of hacking going on now. But, that is quite an amount of money! I always liked paying with money orders too...and it just isn't "fashionable" anymore is it? For that matter, I always liked checks. Now, a bad check will not show up for several days and you will already have shipped the item. Your stuck with no money and no item. Sadly, I think one of these days, we will have to "hand deliver" cash. (Joking, of course.)

Must go back to my site, as I am having a difficult time learning the shipping matrix here. I am either slow or this darn thing is confusing. I will be selling all sizes and weights. Is there a tutorial? I don't know what this newbie would do without you folks here. Thank you! Thank you! Very Happy
Starbrush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viewfinders and Oakteak store! Thank you for your response!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now, a bad check will not show up for several days and you will already have shipped the item

Never Ever ship before a check has been deposited and has had enough time in the bank to be sure it is good (cleared). Even in these days that process takes 7-10 business days. I won't take checks at all as bad check fees are too high and you know the buyer will never pay it. Nor do I take MO since it always shows up and those from the UK never seem to read for the US only and insist that they will send a MO and when I tell them no they don't pay anything.

If you need a bank that you can send Stripe payments to, sign up for what used to be called ING now Capital 360 an on line back with NO fees! I've been using it for years with no trouble.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used ING, now Tangerine in Canada, for years. I just have investments there so it is not a very active account but they have excellent customer service.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just have investments there so it is not a very active account but they have excellent customer service.

You said it Maggie! I have a checking and 4 savings accounts and a Roth IRA, etc. there. The savings accounts may seem like way to many, but I use one to hold the tax money that is set aside for hubbies business, one for the tax on this store (including sales tax and IRS/State income taxes), hubby also gets payments for particular things having to do with his piano business so I need to keep that money separate sometimes for years at a time, plus a regular savings account. The deal is there is no charge for more than one account so you can track as many things as you want. I would never mix up a vacation savings with the good old IRS payments!

But very easy to do direct deposits from PP and Stripe into these accounts and then send the money if you want to your regular local bank account or pay bills directly from your account. If I need my son to pick something up at the store for me, I send him money to his ING account and then don't have to scrounge up money or write a check when he brings the food over as he used my money to pay for it already. Plus generally when you set up an account they give you some bonus money and will pay you for referring friends.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: