eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

New Seller - BeadSouk
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeadSouk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Quote:
I usually sell in pieces, for instance, $2.69 for the first item, then 0.12 for each additional item. How do I reflect this method into the shipping matrix and into the weight field for each listing.?

So far I have input a number 1 into the Weight field of each of my item listing, and filled in the Shipping Matrix assuming ounces. For instance, $2.69 in column 1, $2.69 in column 2. $3.05 in column 4.

What if someone buys an item and buys a quantity of more than one of the same item? This is where I am confused? Are they charged $2.69 for each item ordered?

Forget that thinking. For one thing remember that shipping and handling have to cover shipping supplies, runs to the post office as well so adding those teeny, tiny amounts is pointless. Do something like put $3.00 in the 1 column, then $3.50 in the 2, $4.00 in the 4, etc. When a person orders several different items, the matrix will return the shipping for all your items. At the 6 column I charge $6.50 which is for Priority here in the US and that is as high as I go for US postage. You might want to wait until you are at 8 and then put $6.50 in each of the rest of the columns across with $0.00 at 16+. At that point however many different items they buy you will be shipping via Priority so you will never have problems with shipping costs and frankly you save money by not having as many PP/Stripe fees to deal with (like you have with smaller orders). It has worked out well for me. Your customers will think they are getting a deal when they order 10 items and see what the shipping is and then think I wonder what happens if I buy 15 items and the shipping doesn't change. Hope this makes sense, it is time for my nap Very Happy

That is wonderful, thank you for the detailed response, you are right about the amount of the charges, have to take into account supplies and drives to the post office. I will re-do the shipping matrix.

Me too, I am overdue for a nap! Very Happy
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. You have some lovely beads. I just created a board last week over on Pinterest to help advertise ecrater and I was only pinning jewelry design supplies from ecrater beads, charms, tools, findings. I will have to pin a few of your items to that board. We are just trying to get the ecrater name out there, get the site known by more people so we can expand greatly.
BeadSouk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMysteriousRose wrote:
Welcome. You have some lovely beads. I just created a board last week over on Pinterest to help advertise ecrater and I was only pinning jewelry design supplies from ecrater beads, charms, tools, findings. I will have to pin a few of your items to that board. We are just trying to get the ecrater name out there, get the site known by more people so we can expand greatly.

Well, thank you for adding my beads, I also have a pinterest account but under my jewelry designer name, I also design jewelry but have not opened up a store here yet.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The matrix is set up to offer shipping discounts. Another way to put it simply is, when a seller views item ABC in your store they see that item has a shipping charge of $2.09 and that item BCD has a shipping charge of $3.50 and so on. If you use fixed price shipping, the buyer will get charged a separate shipping fee for EACH item. So if they buy 3 items and each item has a shipping charge of $1, $2.50, and $4 that buyer will be charged $7.50 for shipping, even if it only costs $3.22 to ship all 3 items.

If you use the matrix however, those separate shipping costs are not added together. Instead, based on the weights you enter usually the highest shipping total out of every item in their cart is the amount used. So if they add 4 items to their cart and the highest shipping price for one of those items was $4.50 then the matrix will default to $4.50 and that's what the buyer pays to ship all 4 items, just $4.50 total. The matrix does this until they eventually add enough additional items to reach the next weight bracket in your matrix, then shipping goes up a little but not double or tripled over.

The USPS shipping calculator works very similarly but with multi item purchases it eventually goes haywire. For the first few items all is well but then it eventually doubles over and your buyer is charged $17.50 shipping for 4 tiny packs of beads so, use the matrix. I don't go by weights in my matrix I go by the number of items that can be shipped in a certain box or envelope as I know how much it costs to ship the max weight in each type of box or envelope I have. But first, get used to the matrix with actual weights, then you can customize even more when you get the hang of it.
BeadSouk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMysteriousRose wrote:
The matrix is set up to offer shipping discounts. Another way to put it simply is, when a seller views item ABC in your store they see that item has a shipping charge of $2.09 and that item BCD has a shipping charge of $3.50 and so on. If you use fixed price shipping, the buyer will get charged a separate shipping fee for EACH item. So if they buy 3 items and each item has a shipping charge of $1, $2.50, and $4 that buyer will be charged $7.50 for shipping, even if it only costs $3.22 to ship all 3 items.

If you use the matrix however, those separate shipping costs are not added together. Instead, based on the weights you enter usually the highest shipping total out of every item in their cart is the amount used. So if they add 4 items to their cart and the highest shipping price for one of those items was $4.50 then the matrix will default to $4.50 and that's what the buyer pays to ship all 4 items, just $4.50 total. The matrix does this until they eventually add enough additional items to reach the next weight bracket in your matrix, then shipping goes up a little but not double or tripled over.

The USPS shipping calculator works very similarly but with multi item purchases it eventually goes haywire. For the first few items all is well but then it eventually doubles over and your buyer is charged $17.50 shipping for 4 tiny packs of beads so, use the matrix. I don't go by weights in my matrix I go by the number of items that can be shipped in a certain box or envelope as I know how much it costs to ship the max weight in each type of box or envelope I have. But first, get used to the matrix with actual weights, then you can customize even more when you get the hang of it.

Great explanation, I am starting to understand now, thank you for taking the time to write this posting, really is helpful.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome!
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need the sales tax, should be zero. (Michigan)
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your beads are so light weight, I would use the actual weight. It might change how you are used to charging shipping but would be more honest for your customers.

I would put the item weight as 0.01 or 0.10 (that being a fraction of an ounce). When they reach the whole number 1, that many beads could be shipped for your lightest matrix weight of 1 ounce. When the amount of beads go over the whole number of 1, those next beads would automatically carry the shipping weight into the matrix 2, and so on.

If you find your shipping is too high you can always refund the difference but you can't ask for more money if your shipping is too low.
BeadSouk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-Better-Way wrote:
You don't need the sales tax, should be zero. (Michigan)

What do you mean? Sales tax is zero unless they customer is in Michigan, then I have to charge a sales tax. That is how I have it set up.
BeadSouk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
Since your beads are so light weight, I would use the actual weight. It might change how you are used to charging shipping but would be more honest for your customers.

I would put the item weight as 0.01 or 0.10 (that being a fraction of an ounce). When they reach the whole number 1, that many beads could be shipped for your lightest matrix weight of 1 ounce. When the amount of beads go over the whole number of 1, those next beads would automatically carry the shipping weight into the matrix 2, and so on.

If you find your shipping is too high you can always refund the difference but you can't ask for more money if your shipping is too low.

Actually, the weight of one pack of my beads along with packaging material is normally 1 ounce or more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: