eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Stopping international sales

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svoundtrack

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Stopping international sales Reply with quote

I recently made the decision to stop selling outside of the U.S. I removed all shipping options from my store except for the U.S. and Puerto Rico, I also don't have automatic UK/AU pricing options enabled. However, this morning I received an order from the UK (with $0.00 shipping costs added on) which I had to refund through PayPal.

So, am I missing something? I don't find any other options for stopping international orders listed within my store. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call-email ecarter. might be a problem, you covered everything. as far as I know.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@svoundtrack

Looks like you have UK & AU store fronts to me ...
http://svoundtrack.ecrater.co.uk/
http://svoundtrack.ecrater.com.au/

Based on your feedback, you are not a new seller here, so those may have been there for a long time.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I recently made the decision to stop selling outside of the U.S. I removed all shipping options from my store except for the U.S. and Puerto Rico, I also don't have automatic UK/AU pricing options enabled. However, this morning I received an order from the UK (with $0.00 shipping costs added on) which I had to refund through PayPal.

Once you activated the UK and AU as selling sites without making sure your prices weren't auto converted, all your items were listed in your UK and AU stores. Taking them out of your shipping zones and removing the shipping cost does not remove the items already listed in the UK and AU stores. You need to run the Global Editor twice. First in your admin, select Global Editor, add global action,
Apply To: All Categories
Action: Set UK price
Base: Price in USD
Operator: delete

You'll need to run the Global Editor a second time with Action: Set AU price.

You've already made all other changes needed for going forward so once the global editor runs the items will be removed. It will take a little time for the editor to run, it is not instant.
svoundtrack

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I kind of wondered if it were a global editor issue, but wasn't sure how to proceed.
thewrightbiz

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

svoundtrack wrote:
Thanks everyone! I kind of wondered if it were a global editor issue, but wasn't sure how to proceed.

I've never sold anything at EC to overseas, but I have at the EB site. Canadians were my best customers it seems and once in a while I would get a EU buyer.
But I stopped shipping overseas because,
a) I don't want anyone overseas to return a product
b) I ran into a buyer in the UK who had 100 questions even after they bought the product. I cancelled the order because they seemed unsure about the purchase and I didn't want them to return it afterwards.
c) The dollar is strong right now so no one overseas is buying in the U.S. or so it seems
d) I sold a leather coat to a gal in Romania and under-estimated the shipping and lost big time on that leather.

If you ship overseas, the main concern is the Returned item. Shipping is high so you have to really know the weight and the ship price, or else you lose.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you ship overseas, the main concern is the Returned item. Shipping is high so you have to really know the weight and the ship price, or else you lose.

Of the 6 sales I have had here this month, 3 were international. I have never had a return. I've only tracked my international sales by number of them for a few years and have had about 500 of them from ecrater but probably at least 1000 all told in 13 years. And have never had a return from any of those.

Shipping costs are no harder to figure out than if you were shipping within the US. If you had the cost of the leather coat to Romania wrong, you probably would have also had it wrong to ship to Minnesota. If you don't have an appropriate scale to weigh your items when listing, you need one as you can't sell without those mistakes without one. If you depend on going to the PO to weigh things then you are wasting a bunch of time and scales aren't that expensive.

International sales bring in 10-25% per year for me. I wouldn't cut them off without a good reason. Those that buy internationally will do so no matter what the dollar is doing as long as they want the item.

There are some countries I won't ship to, but only because customs and their PO have proved themselves to be unreliable in the past.
thewrightbiz

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shipping costs are no harder to figure out than if you were shipping within the US. If you had the cost of the leather coat to Romania wrong, you probably would have also had it wrong to ship to Minnesota. If you don't have an appropriate scale to weigh your items when listing, you need one as you can't sell without those mistakes without one. If you depend on going to the PO to weigh things then you are wasting a bunch of time and scales aren't that expensive.

Moon - you keep targeting ME as the culprit and the reason for whatever mistakes I make. I'm only commenting.
I under-estimated the shipping at that time which was 2 years ago, because I didn't know how to use the shipping calculator at EB. I have since gotten a handle on it.
But I still have not setup my shipping for EU, ONLY Canada. This year I got no sales from Canada - probably because of the strong dollar, but last year I did well. Plus, a couple of EU sales.
I will ship to EU if the buyer contacts me through message and asks directly to sell to EU, and in those circumstances it opens up a conversation about shipping.
One of my best sales last year was to Ireland, a fake diamond bracelet I had been trying to sell for months! Even at the flea markets, everybody loved the bracelet but didn't buy it.
One thing about EU and overseas buyers is that they pay promptly. Canadians pay promptly.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Moon - you keep targeting ME as the culprit and the reason for whatever mistakes I make. I'm only commenting.
I under-estimated the shipping at that time which was 2 years ago, because I didn't know how to use the shipping calculator at EB.

Don't even understand your comment. If you make a mistake, who should I 'blame' if I was doing so and I'm not?

You were listing points for why you won't ship internationally, by the way that encompasses much more that the EU. As one of your points for why you have stopped shipping to international customers was:
Quote:
d) I sold a leather coat to a gal in Romania and under-estimated the shipping and lost big time on that leather.

If as you now have said you now have a handle on that for something that happened two years ago, why are you using it now as a reason to not ship internationally at this point? I have found over the years that when bringing up problems with shipping amounts it comes down to not owning a scale which is very necessary for selling on line and/or not understanding how to set up shipping. Neither of which are reasons to not sell but they are reasons to get a scale and to put your listings on hold until you truly understand a venue's shipping system and being sure that you have that side of things right with your listings. This goes for all sellers and want to be sellers.

The rest of your list of reasons to not sell internationally that you gave, aren't reasons, they are excuses - yours. I personally don't care whether you ship to France or Timbktu or not. But I do care about other sellers here, that seeing your post would think that all sorts of horrible things happen if we sell internationally. I wanted to set the record straight. Since I have never had a return from overseas, I can't see that as legitimate reason not to sell, neither is shipping costs if you are careful to do it for overseas as you are here. And it doesn't make a difference what the dollar is doing against the yen or pound sterling, if people want to buy they will. There are many things that we have available here in the US that those in other countries don't have. We can sell to them as a convenience and if they have the money they are happy to spend it.

Does that mean you will never have a problem with any overseas transaction? Of course not. But then nothing guarantees us from not having a problem with a US citizen either.

As to your lady with a 100 questions to the point you cancelled the order. I don't even want to comment on that.

My information is general to all. I know newbies that have never even sold before, find the concept of doing it scary enough just for the US and doing it to another country frightening. I have a friend whose husband has never left this county, much less the state. He hasn't had to run across the border and duty, and customs and money exchange and all of that as many other new sellers haven't. As long as know where to double check for each country at the USPS website to find if your items can be shipped to a country, the actual process to package to ship overseas, takes maybe a minute tops extra. If a seller that needs the money that they make selling, could use 10-20% more, selling overseas might just bring that in for them. After their first few it becomes routine and not scary at all especially now that you can have tracking to many countries that wasn't available just a few years ago.
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a couple of things you can do.

1. Is remove the international countries from both your shipping section that is your shipping zone, your shipping rates. Basically anywhere that there's some sort of shipping going on internationally in the setup of your store.

2. The next thing you do is set the disable both the UK and the AU currency conversion. Once thats done, it will be removed.

Remember, that the feeds are 30 day cycle periods, so it may take 30 days for the feeds to be removed from the international section of Google Shopping, or they might be removed because of invalid links or pricing, so its not going to go away overnight.

3. If you take PayPal, go into the setup in the payment receiving and tell PayPal to refuse all "non us bank accounts", people who send money from the send tab, or "block countries you dont ship to".

Other than that you should be all set. If you do as little as block the payments in Paypal you should be fine.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any sellers reading this topic, please note the information posted by UniversalComputers in incorrect for eCRATER. Please scroll up and read my earlier post or read the instructions posted by eCRATER in their doc file on using our admin section. Their instructions are reached by selecting the FAQ from the home page (www.ecrater.com) then selecting Selling. Scroll to the bottom of the page to the last question, Is there a full tutorial for the Administrative Tool? The files are in docx and doc format.

If you do not close your UK or AU store correctly on eCRATER, you will have the possibility of receiving sales from those two sites. If you've deleted your shipping prices for those 2 countries, you sale will be with $0.00 shipping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: