eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Stripe customers are being double charged.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clydesbarn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Stripe customers are being double charged. Reply with quote

This has happened twice so far with Stripe. I have had to refund customers for a second charge. The Ecrater team says that it happens sometimes when a customer uses the browser back button. Stripe says that it actually receives two API's.
When I did a test purchase through Stripe it appears that the customer gets caught in a loop at checkout and cannot get out. Stripe returns them to the checkout page and I did not see a button to get back to catalog. They have no choice but to hit the browser back button. This does not seem to happen with PayPal.
Unless I am missing something it seems that the customer could possibly hit the submit button multiple times.
The real problem is that you end up with upset customers. It does not look good, to them it looks like you are trying to collect double on a purchase.
Am I missing something that should be set on Ecrater or on Stripe ?
I really like Ecrater. And I like being able to offer customers an alternative to PayPal but I may have to remove Stripe if it happens a third time.

Has anybody else experienced this problem ?[/b]
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
timscomics

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just a couple of days ago.
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep us all informed if it continues to happen. Thanx.

I have only had a few sales here, but most of them have been thru stripe. I want to ensure that it is a viable payment solution.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this feel like the same thing I posted here ?

http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=34743
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that happen 3 times a few weeks ago. Had to refund triple payments because the orders I got thru stripe received 3 identical payments.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMysteriousRose wrote:
I had that happen 3 times a few weeks ago. Had to refund triple payments because the orders I got thru stripe received 3 identical payments.

But did you get 3 different order numbers on eCrater ?
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
TheMysteriousRose wrote:

Yes, they come thru like they are separate orders with different order numbers, but the prices are the same and ultimately the exact same items in the cart & exact same buyer. Most were not even aware it happened, I had to email them & explain it was a checkout glitch & refund the overages before they found out on their own & thought I triple charged them on purpose.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMysteriousRose wrote:
cosmicray wrote:
TheMysteriousRose wrote:

Yes, they come thru like they are separate orders with different order numbers, but the prices are the same and ultimately the exact same items in the cart & exact same buyer. Most were not even aware it happened, I had to email them & explain it was a checkout glitch & refund the overages before they found out on their own & thought I triple charged them on purpose.

That sounds like the buyer submitted the order 3 times. Many sites clear the shopping cart after the order is submitted. eCrater does not clear it, or doesn't do so immediately. The buyer may be misinterpreting that to mean that the order did not take.

It's also possible that delays at Stripe may contribute to the appearance that the order did not take.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what happened. This happened for two different buyers. Although the order numbers were different as if the buyers resubmitted them thinking they never went thru the first time. The times are indentical on those orders. Example:

Order 10001000 on 3/22/2015 at 3:45 p.m. for $40.93

Order 10001012 on 3/22/2015 at 3:45 p.m. for $40.93

Order 10001025 on 3/22/2015 at 3:45 p.m. for $40.93

Not actual order numbers, dates or times, This was just an example of what it looks like on my end. The example order numbers may show up as clickable links but the computer mistakes them for phone numbers. Don't want ecrater to think I am posting a buyers personal info here.

Second time it happened with a different buyer, it looked just like the example above but the times were all one minute apart.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen it happen in all the time I have been using Stripe. If several of you are having problems, I would report it to the ecrater team with all the details. I would think they have some support person that helps them out with Stripe problems.
insulator-king

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just happened to me on an order, except there were THREE charges for the product on Stripe, but only one ecratrer order.

The buyer had not even contacted me about it, don't know whether she had even noticed it.

Of course, I have already refunded the last 2 charges to her. Glad Stripe still does not charge for refunds.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week ago I got two orders to ecrater thru Stripe paid for the same item. I only had one, so went to Stripe and saw two orders (at least it seems like it was two orders) so I refunded the one and emailed the buyer that I had. So I'm checking the account today that Stripe deposits to and I notice a larger deposit than what should have been there. I go to Stripe, I see the refund and I see three purchases now with only one refunded. I compared the transaction numbers and the order that I refunded is refunded on my order page and one of the others is the one that I shipped, but without any more orders in ecrater I had figured I was through.

I really was paying attention to what I was doing, but seeing only two orders on ecrater may have thrown me off. Now that I sat and figured it out, I think, I refunded the second payment that I never even got a notification of it. I don't know how someone that might be a heavy seller of 20-50+ orders through Stripe a day could have caught something like this. I only noticed it because it was the second Stripe payment of two for all of May so far and it was double the amount it should have been. I would have had no idea what was going on except for this thread.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get multiple payments for the same item, but different order numbers, that is likely the customer hitting back on their browser, then running the order again. Probably because they think the first one did not succeed. If you are getting the same order number, then that is something the eCrater team needs to investigate.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep the two that I saw had different order numbers but I never saw one of them. Interesting though, and why it feels discouraging at times to be honest. this buyer didn't seem to noticed that she had overpaid and never acknowledged my first email about a refund nor did she respond to the one yesterday almost a week later.

It is one of the reasons that I stopped for the most art refunding shipping amounts if someone bought 5 things and checked out and paid shipping each time. I would send them this nice refund and not so much as a thank you. Now my TOS I believe say that for combined shipping that they have to pay all on one invoice. Even though I like running numbers, trying to figure out a refund when you have to take into account FVF fees, PP fees and refund fees and the actual shipping cost and the handling costs would take up more time than it was worth.

I just find it hard to believe that people can run through their credit cards so many times and not miss the money. Probably one of the reasons why so many in our country are in such horrible debt.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: