eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Internet explorer...is it causing you problems?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viewfinders

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Internet explorer...is it causing you problems? Reply with quote

A few months ago I bought a new computer because my old laptop was over heating and Internet Explorer was freezing up and shutting down. I blamed it on the old computer but the new computer seems to have difficulties with IE also. This makes me think the problem is not the computer but either my modem or IE. I have the latest updated version available.

Is there any way to tell what is causing the problem?

Please don't suggest I use FireFox. I hate it.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
trafficjammers

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What difficulties? I run IE 11 and it works great.
viewfinders

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several times a day the computer freezes and I get a message the IE has stopped working. Sometimes the page can be recovered but about half the time it doesn't. Eventually the internet shuts down and I go back to desktop.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn off Flash, turn off Java. Otherwise, no clue as I don't run IE.
viewfinders

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't turn off Java as I do crossword puzzles. Not sure what you mean by Flash. What does it do?

I think the preponderance of Google ads that appear on pages is affecting internet speed and performance. They have gotten so bad that many times I can't find the article I'm trying to read for the ads. They dance, blink and no matter how consistently I ignore them they just seem to increase.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

viewfinders wrote:
Can't turn off Java as I do crossword puzzles. Not sure what you mean by Flash. What does it do?

I think the preponderance of Google ads that appear on pages is affecting internet speed and performance. They have gotten so bad that many times I can't find the article I'm trying to read for the ads. They dance, blink and no matter how consistently I ignore them they just seem to increase.

Those are probably Flash based ads. Look for Adobe Flash, and disable it. Java is different than Javascript. Most sites need Javascript, and it is mostly benign. Java is different, and rarely needed, but has had more security issues.

Perhaps one of the Windows users here can tell you how to disable Flash.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had to disable flash all together, so not sure how to do that without uninstalling it completely, but if you can narrow it down to a specific website that is causing problems you can right click on an item on that site that is using flash, like a moving banner or flashing ad and the option to Disable ActiveX will appear, Select that with your mouse. ActiveX is flash related while DirectX is graphic related.

It might be the flash. Every time I get stuck using a computer with IE, about a week after using it daily it freezes on me too and IE crashes. It's called a crash when IE shuts down on its own and you can see the desktop and icons again as if you exited out of the screen intentionally, when you didn't. And usually after it gets so bad that IE crashes several times a day, I will eventually get a message that says the flash plugin crashed, so it probably does have something to do with flash because IE will not work right again until I uninstall flash and reinstall, or upgrade to a new version, even if I just updated like 2 days prior, So I think IE may be installing older versions of flash when it updates, even though it says they are new versions.

I never have these problems with Firefox or Chrome.
trafficjammers

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only time I see IE have issues is if you have a bunch of add-ons installed, which, if you are not careful, can be installed automatically when installing other applications. And yes, I believe some are pre-installed on many new computers unless you buy a business machine which tends to have a lot less nonsense pre-installed.

Hit the gear icon in the top-right and select Manage Add-ons. If you see a ton of stuff turned on that you don't recognize, disable it. I'm almost positive this is your issue because I run IE on multiple new computers and it's fine. Also, IE can run Flash just fine.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have much in the line of add-ons. The latest Adobe was yesterday. Actually I haven't had the problem today so maybe they installed something to fix the problem.
thefamilyhome

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use IE. Only time I have is after setting up a new system to get Google Chrome & Firefox.

Then I end up renaming IE so it can't be opened by anything. Works like a charm!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefamilyhome wrote:
Then I end up renaming IE so it can't be opened by anything. Works like a charm!
Excellent suggestion for me. Doesn't help Maggie, but I like the suggestion!
thefamilyhome

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
thefamilyhome wrote:
Excellent suggestion for me. Doesn't help Maggie, but I like the suggestion!

I know, besides chrome and firefox, maybe try:

www.opera.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: