eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

USPS Calculating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taylorfamilygifts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: USPS Calculating Reply with quote

I'm switching from weight matrix to usps. Now when I add my weights to the products it still makes me choose either flat rate, free shipping or weight matrix so I leave it on weight matrix. Should I? Yes I have selected usps in the options section and one bar of soap is costing 9.60 to ship from PA to NY. I think I may be adding my weights wrong but not sure. if something is 5.1 oz how do I enter that? I read somewhere to put a leading 0 or for 9oz I put 0.9 is that correct? Also I have chosen several usps shipping options (all domestic) but when your going to check out theres a drop down box for "choose shipping method" but there's only one there and so it doesn't drop down for them to choose. How can I fix that.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help. I only use the matrix so I can't comment on the USPS amounts.
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor,
1. When it says to choose either flat rate, free shipping, or weight matrix - it is actually asking "which one of these do you want to use if and when the usps site goes down"...think of it as your alternative postage procedure since you already opted in for the usps shipping. I know it is confusing, but that is what it means.
2. To add 5.1 ounces of SHIPPING WEIGHT, not item weight, you would put "0.3". a. Always use a leading zero if it is less than a pound and b. break all your ounces down to the decimal system.
1 oz = .1 of a lb
2 ... .1
3 ... .2
4 ... .3
5 ... .3
6 ... .4
7 ... .4
you get the idea. It is a simple math problem.
3. I don't know the answer to your last question. Maybe a more experienced eC type will come along. I do know this..if your item is only say 9 ounces, the only option that should show up is first class. The priority and other services will not show up until you get to 14 oz. I believe that is the way it works...maybe someone will correct me. But, I gthink that is it.

Good Luck.

I hope this helped you out a bit.
taylorfamilygifts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you that information was very helpful.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The packed weight must be entered as a decimal, but you have to remember there are 16 oz. in a pound. There was a nice chart provided by bigtallmensclothing in the FAQ section in the topic "Solutions to Common Questions - SHIPPING MATRIX & MORE". Here's a link to the topic[url] http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=2461[/url] I've copied her chart below. I keep a copy by my computer so it's always handy.

Converting ounces to pounds as decimals

1 divided 16 = 0.0625
that means 1 ounce is equal to 0.0625
Here's a chart

1 oz = 0.0625
2 oz = 0.125
3 oz = 0.1875
4 oz = 0.25 ---- that's 1/4 of a pound
5 oz = 0.3125
6 oz = 0.375
7 oz = 0.4375
8 oz = 0.50 ---- that's is half a pound
9 oz = 0.5625
10 oz = 0.625
11 oz = 0.6875
12 oz = 0.75 ---- that's 3/4 of a pound
13 oz = 0.8125
14 oz = 0.875
15 oz = 0.9375
16 oz = 1 ---- that's 1 pound

Remember, if your item has a packed weight of 1 pound 6 ounces you would enter the weight as 1.375. As Memory Lane pointed out, you must enter the leading 0 if the weight is less than 1 pound.

Once you correct your weights I think the problem with not seeing the shipping options will correct itself. If you selected First Class Parcel, it will only be offered when the item weighs less than 13 oz. (0.8125). Also, remember to only give your customer a choice that can be used for every item in your store. For example, if you offer the small flat rate Priority Mail box, customers will select it by price without realizing a 10"x10"x10" item can't be put in the box. You can still use the small box even if it isn't given as an option to the customer. I didn't check to see if you are selling any media items, but don't select Media Mail unless everything in you store can be shipped Media Mail.

Also, when you selected the different methods of shipping you wish to offer, did you make sure they transferred to the chart on the right AND did you click on the Update button? It's easy to forget to click on the add button to transfer the method to the right and it's easy to forget to update. I know I've forgotten more than once and then wondered what went wrong. Laughing
taylorfamilygifts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you your information was very helpful and I have saved both responses for future reference.
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Sorry I can't help. I only use the matrix so I can't comment on the USPS amounts.

Hi, Moonwishes! Reading back threads, and have a Q: Why do you ONLY use the matrix? Many others say to use it only when USPS is down.
Just wondered... Question
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Moonwishes uses it like I do, most of her items are the same weight, or close to that. She can use the numbers to mean the amount of items sold. I use it the same way because I can almost always ship 1st class. If something is heaver, I just use a high number for the weight. I start out at $3 shipping for 3oz weigth and it goes up with the amount of items bought.
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, Sammy how having a few shops would make it easier to stick with the matrix for the same weight items by number, and others by USPS and back up for Media Mail and/or varying weights other than MM.

I think that is what I will have to do.

Thank you again, Sammy.

Patient people here & and good advise. Smile
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adriennesretropolis wrote:
Why do you ONLY use the matrix? Many others say to use it only when USPS is down.

If your product weights vary widely, you may be better off with USPS Calculated. Moon ships sewing patterns, which have a small weight variance. My second store, cosmicbricks, uses only the matrix. My first store is set up to flip between calculated and fixed.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so used to the matrix, that even when I list something besides sewing patterns such as cross stitch kits, magazines and crafting books, I just calculate what the shipped weight would be and assign it that 'weight'. I've had a policy here though, that for US customers they will never be charged more than $6.50 (at least this year) which would cover Priority shipping or media mail and the packaging costs and insurance if needed, etc. I can do this since to get to that amount means usually the buyer is buying multiple items and with them all in one order that means a lot less PP/Stripe base fees, etc. so it is really a savings in the long run. It has always worked out.

Since the change with international shipping prices over the last few years it is so much harder to calculate and the prices are high so my international orders are down except for those buyers that really want the pattern and can't get it any other way. I even have some customers that will pay me to buy them stuff on amazon and ship it to them!

Anyhow, due to my inventory, I can stick with the Matrix. I wouldn't have a clue how to set things up if I was selling things that went from 2 ounces to 20 pounds with weird size packaging needed as well. Very Happy At that point I would probably think about more than one store.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: