eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Discount Coupons At Check-Out With PayPal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TFCNMovieServices

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Discount Coupons At Check-Out With PayPal? Reply with quote

Is there anyway possible to offer customers a discount 'code' they can use at time of check-out with PayPal for purchases made on eCrater? If so, where does one get the 'code' to send to their customers.

We have not yet opened our store as we are still loading it with inventory. However, we are going to open it on or before July 10th. We have over 5000 customers in our database from the many years of selling on EBAY (where we still have a store). eCrater is our second store, but we had to shut it down for almost a year due to personal family health issues.

Now that we are about to re-open the store we want to send out a blast email to our customers and future customers with a discount code they can use with PayPal but only until the end of the year (2015) as a promotion to give them the incentive to come to our eCrater store.

If anyone knows were I can get a 'discount code' please let me know or do I need to call PayPal for this info since I would not want to send out a 'discount code' that could be used at any store on eCrater (only our store) and at the same time drive a lot of traffic to the eCrater site which could be a benefit to all eCrater sellers.

Thanks in advance. Hope everyone is enjoying their 4th of July Holiday Weekend!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry there is no way to do this either for one store or all. We used to be able to do coupons with Google checkout and even with that in the year or two that I enclosed a coupon in every outgoing order, I think only 3 were taken advantage of so not worth the time I spent on them.
TFCNMovieServices

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Sorry there is no way to do this either for one store or all. We used to be able to do coupons with Google checkout and even with that in the year or two that I enclosed a coupon in every outgoing order, I think only 3 were taken advantage of so not worth the time I spent on them.

I wasn't referring to a coupon with the order. I was trying to find out if there is a way to give (in advance) a discount 'code' that can be used with PayPal at the time a customer makes a purchase and checks out. Example: TFCN1234 and they enter that on the PayPal invoice and get an automatic 10% or 20% discount off the purchase price (at time of purchase). I guess I'm going to have to call PayPal for more info on this. Nevertheless, thank you for your reply. Very Happy
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you call it a coupon or a discount code, they would work the same way and we aren't set up for them here on eCRATER.

If you want to give them a discount for purchasing more than one item and use the matrix, you can do it somewhat that way by giving combined shipping discounts and making them larger than you might normally give.
TFCNMovieServices

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Whether you call it a coupon or a discount code, they would work the same way and we aren't set up for them here on eCRATER.

If you want to give them a discount for purchasing more than one item and use the matrix, you can do it somewhat that way by giving combined shipping discounts and making them larger than you might normally give.

Well, that won't work either since everything we sell we ship for free since the shipping cost is already figured into the price of the item so we don't use the shipping matrix and besides neither of us has a Ph.D degree in advanced analytical scientific mathematics to figure out that shipping matrix.

I'll have to get on the phone with my business partner (who is at our corporate office which is 350 miles from the office I'm at) and do some brain-storming with him and figure out what if anything we can come up with that might work. A few options I've been thinking about (in addition to advertising by direct email to all 5000+ existing customers) is a full page ad on our corporate website where we already get a lot of traffic even though we sell nothing on that site.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of that would work would be a Rebate. The customer would need to add the "Rebate Code" in the comments section during checkout. After the order is processed, a "rebate" would be sent to them via PayPal. You would need to tell the customer it is only available once on an eCrater order, and give them the expiration date. It wouldn't be automated and would need to be tracked manually, but in theory it is doable. Your person processing orders should be checking the comments on every checkout already, you would just need to create a back-end procedure for processing the rebates. The rebates could have different codes based on the volume the customer has spent with your company in the past on different sites.

I've set up something like this on a private website, but haven't actually tested it yet. If you decide to use this system, it would be helpful if you posted back your results.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you did the suggested rebate, be aware that PP charges a refund fee of 30 cents as well for refunds.

Depending on what you sell the matrix is pretty easy. I use it and sure don't have a PhD. in anything LOL!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moon, the OP wants to offer a discount to a select group. The matrix can be used to offer a discount on quantity purchases and both of us use it in that way. Both my sewing patterns and postcards give a discount to everyone that purchase multiple products. The op wants to market to customers who have not purchased from their eCRATER store. This would be a one time discount because they purchased from the eCRATER store rather than buying from their website or from them on eBay. So, the discount must be limited to the customer who received the offer, on this site, for a one time use.

I'm checking into the details, but I think if you send the customer money that isn't related to an order, then you wouldn't need to pay the 30 cents. However, in my personal case, the 30 cents would just be a cost of doing business like the rebate.
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, you'd give discounts only to people who come back to your store. otherwise, they are just using you for the "discount". repeat customers get the breaks not first timers. in resturaunts, people only go to selected days and use coupons left and right. Even $1 off a meal, they will go on that date of the discount.

you could give a percentage back from the paypal account like a refund or send them money directly off the available funds once they pay. otherwise there's no way that we know of.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila, I understood what he wanted, but really couldn't think of how to pull it off. With big name stores I see how the discounts and coupons will work. I just used a 20% off coupon at B&N the other day that they sent me. But I know trying to get buyers to use the discount I was offering them here, just didn't seem to work. I wonder if they have offered a discount like that elsewhere?

This is probably something that should go in the suggestions thread with a plausible way to do it.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: