eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

I'm still alive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: I'm still alive Reply with quote

Which is a good thing, I think. For a few moments, there was some doubt.

For those who have not picked up on this, we have had a serious amount of rain for the last week. There are many oak trees here. Some of them have, creatively, stretched out low branches for a stupid distance (40-50 feet).

The continuous rain has weighed down those branches, without giving the tree any time to recover. Yesterday, several of them snapped. One was hanging draped over another low long branch. I was trying to cut the upper one off in sections, when my pole saw got stuck. This happens when you are cutting something that is a bit too finely balanced, it shifts, and pinches the bar on the saw.

I stared at it for a few minutes, trying to figure out how to get it free. Finally decided to take a piece of landscape timber and pry at it a bit. That wasn't one of my smarter ideas. It did get the pole saw free, but that entire branch shifted, and I ran like crazy. There were several thousand pounds of oak branch, over my head, shifting around.

For a brief instant, I was ready to meet my maker.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! I am glad you are ok!
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you can actually say you had a little "brush" with death then?

But in all seriousness, glad you are okay. Tree branches may seem light but I've heard stories on Tv that even just a few seemingly light branches can weigh you down easily with a much heavier force than what you'd think.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These branches were in the 8-10 inch diameter range. An 18 inch long piece is heavy.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me your rain. solve both our problems.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You came very close to death. Did you experience the phenomena of 'having your life flash before your eyes'? I've experienced it twice when I was convinced I was going to die. It's an incredible experience that lasts only a fraction of a second and you marvel it how all of the highlights of your life can fit in a fraction of a second. I remember seeing my high school graduation and getting my driver's licence were part of the "highlight reel". I don't think the experience ever goes away and a person never stops marveling over it.

cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat wrote:
Send me your rain. solve both our problems.

https://twitter.com/WRUFWeather/status/628387671237373953

I'm in an area shaded red, or 6-inches. People south of me maybe 20 miles, and 30 miles over on the edge of the Gulf, got substantially more.

That kind of rain causes more problems than it solves.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why there isn't a transcontinental waterway similar to the railroad. Don't tell me I'm the only one who's thought of it. I know the expense would be major, but it would be justified and help prevent major fire outbreaks, droughts, flooding, etc. Obviously someone is getting rich off these woes or it would've already been done.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a transcontinental waterway system is a good idea. But life is all about money and only states that the transcontinental waterway system would greatly benefit may be willing to pony up huge amounts of money. For example, Florida has few floods or droughts so would they be willing to pay?

The same thing goes on with the Mexican border fence. It would greatly help the four states with a common border with Mexico but will the other 46 states be willing to help fund it?
I propose putting the National Guard and US military on the border. Put them where they can be most useful.

AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of you when they were talking about all the rain FL was having. I wasn't sure if you were in the middle of it all. I guess you were. It has been rather dry here and we have resorted to using "repurposed AC water" and our rain barrel to water the veggie garden quite a bit.

I am glad it was just a scare you had and nothing more...a good scare at that. I bet you were surprised at how fast you could get out of the way? Aren't you glad you work out? [smirk] Did you loose electricity, internet, etc? It would be nice if it was just an inconvenience, but I am glad you are okay. I mean - think of all the little girls and boys that would be without their Lego's? [smirk]...But why do I think your customer base is really mostly adults?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: