eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Shipping & Sales Tax

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soap-Supplies

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Shipping & Sales Tax Reply with quote

I am in NY and sales tax is charged on shipping. I just received an order from NY and the customer was not charged sales tax on their shipping. Is there a way to correct this?

TIA!

~Shyra
http://soap-supplies.ecrater.com
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
urbanmash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shyra!

I don't think this can be done through the shopping cart; however, I did notice that PayPal is the only form of payment you accept, so what you can do, is not specify any tax in your eCRATER account, put a note directly in your listing that an 8% sales tax will be added for NY State residents, then set up the tax directly in your PayPal account.

You may also want to make a suggestion on the appropriate board to consider adding this feature.

Leesha Dawn
poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it is possible to apply sales tax to items but I don't know why it's not working for you, Shyra, since it seems to be in your listings.

Leesha's suggestion should work too but you might contact eCrater to see what's up (you can use the contact form at www.ecrater.com).
urbanmash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi poopsheet!

I believe the problem is that the sales tax is only being applied to the purchase price of the items, but not the shipping charges. eCRATER's sales tax system does not appear to allow you to specify whether or not the tax should include the shipping charges, so I would imagine that it defaults to excluding shipping from the tax calculation, as most states do not require it.

Leesha Dawn
Soap-Supplies

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sales tax is not applied to the shipping. That's my only problem. In NY and a few other states, they suck you for every cent they can get out of you. It's like NY is run by the same weirdos from the Bay.

I have set the shipping to be a little higher than the actual charges so I am covered. I owe the gal a refund anyway because her shipping isn't as high as the cart says.

There's really no perfect system with shipping charges. I have found that it's always off somewhere unless you put it exact weights of products and having a connection to the USPS or UPS or whoever you use and get a real time shipping cost. It's kind of complicated and for having a FREE site, I am not complaining!

I was just wondering if there was somewhere to click on that the shipping was taxable in NY.THere's not and I will make do. It's that big of an issue.

Thanks for the help!

~Shyra
http://soap-supplies.ecrater.com
richshobbydepot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shyra

I'm in the same boat too being in NY. If you are using Paypal, you can set the tax for both Product & shipping costs in Paypal.

Don't know how to go about that in google, so if anyone has an idea.

Rich
poopsheet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see. I had no idea any states charged sales tax on shipping of all things..
urbanmash

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poopsheet wrote:
Oh, I see. I had no idea any states charged sales tax on shipping of all things..

I know, it's crazy how many times governments will try to tax the same money. They get you when you earn it, they get you when you spend it, and in some states, they even get what you pay to ship it! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: