eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Product Listings on BING
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
I've asked some people why they don't use bookmarks (favorites) and I get that blank stare like "what on earth are you talking about". They tell me they just go to Google and/or ebay and search for what they want to buy. Unless it's a book, then they go to Amazon. Rolling Eyes These are educated people who don't live on the computer. One is my sister and I have to call her if I want her to read an email.

There are people who understand computers (and browsers), and there are people who tolerate them. Maybe it's a left-brain right-brain kinda thing.

Quote:
My shipping notification has a clickable url to my store so if they wanted to bookmark it they could.
You would likely need to explain to them what a clickable url is before they would understand it. Like I said, some people get it, and some tolerate it. One of the reasons the i-devices are making inroads is because they simplify the experience. Might be really nice if eCrater had a search app for iOS, something that directly routes traffic, without having to deal with all those pesky search platforms.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still remember dealing with a woman from the UK who was terrified that if she paid me via PP she would lose her money, never get her item, etc. She had bought some Santa Claus dolls to dress. Well it took me a month of working with her and she finally paid, I sent her her item and presumably she found a new way to shop. but it was traumatic for her! I know, being as this was an ebay order, many would have gone the NPB route and put her on a blocked buy list, but that wasn't the problem. She needed lots of hand holding.

As far as I know at this point my mom still has never used a computer, nor has my ex-husband although he will bug my boys to look up things for him. But then he never could figure out the VHS, DVD, Microwave and we had been married 7 years when he asked how to work the thermostat! I also 'owned' the only tools in the house as he wouldn't hardly have known what to do with them. Some people can understand this stuff and for others it is better to not encourage them.

Since like a bunch of the other 'older' sellers here, I came to computers late in life but I was the first person in my group of friends to get my own PC, 210 MB hard drive no less!!! The guy helping me get it was drooling over that. LOL. I jumped in with both feet because I knew somehow computers could change my life, and they did in many ways they did.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! 210mb computer? You load just one webpage on that and the whole thing would come crashing down, LOL. With my current camera, those old computers like that would barely hold 10 photos.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Leappad to review for Amazon. The only way I will ever have anything I-Pad like, and I can store I think they said something like 40K worth of photos. It has a camera front and back as well. But that little bitty thing that I can hold in one hand has more memory than several computers I have owned. It is crazy!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts wrote:
Wow! 210mb computer? You load just one webpage on that and the whole thing would come crashing down, LOL. With my current camera, those old computers like that would barely hold 10 photos.
My first and second computer had no hard drive and every thing had to be stored on a 512K floppy! (Does anyone remember a KayPro II cpm machine or how about an Atari 800xl?) I felt I had arrived when I got my first MS-DOS machine. However, because of the cost, we had the 20mb hard drive exchanged for a 10mb hard drive. The difference in price allowed us to purchase a printer. Tiger, these were the days before access to the World Wide Web. Within 6 months, we replaced the 10mb with an 80mb drive and I thought I had really "arrived" in the computer world. Very Happy

At one time on the internet, we had to be VERY careful about photo size or the pages would load so slow our customers would leave. I was looking at some of my eBay photos recently and most were 300px by 470px (or 470 x 300). Those were a standard size for 2001. They look good on the large 800 x 640 monitors of the day. Laughing
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my first computer a little over 20 years ago. The 'kids' here probably can't even remember life without them! I do. There you wrote and sent real letters, paid all bills by mail or at the company most of the time which meant no paying your bill with 15 minutes to go before it is late. When I went to get my computer I found a magazine all about literally everything you needed to know about computers which gave me confidence about buying something so expensive. Now you would be lucky to understand half of what they are saying what is so wonderful about the computer and sales people talk as if everyone understands it all.

MS has a current commercial about Windows 10 where they talk about some little children whose lives will be so different because they will be using Windows 10 with the implication of when they grow up. Like MS is really done making versions of Windows!

Life has certainly changed, that is all I know. Besides the selling aspect I have managed to get in contact with 4 dear friends from the past that I haven't seen since the 70's including my old boyfriend from when I was 15. He is the one that coached me when I started selling on line.

There will always be new stuff to know and learn about. Even since I started selling, things that worked back a few years ago, don't work anymore. Constantly have to keep learning.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Commodore Vic20 in the early 1980's. They had a 300 baud modem for $25. Within a few months I upgraded to the Commodore 64. Mostly games but you could learn BASIC.

tmyusuf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not google take your website why only bing search engine
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that - Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: