eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Hi Everyone!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJMachineEmbroidery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts, Thank you so much for all the useful information! I have added some information to my listings about the patterns and that they will be emailed, etc..... I am testing one section to see if the listings get knocked out of any searches. (I used the same wording in every listing in that section.)

In the listings that I add from now on I am going to try to change the wording up a bit. I really struggle with writing descriptions so that is really hard.

Along with a couple of other small changes I am testing the category change that MoonwishesStore suggested. Personally, I think my target market for Christmas designs is the larger market but I figured I would give it a try and see what happens. Smile

If anyone else has any suggestions I would be more than happy to hear about them. I was selling my designs on another venue for a year and a half and I don't seem to be having the same success here that I had there so I figure I have to make some adjustments. Laughing
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eCrater is not a destination site like Etsy or eBay...you need to do your own promotion to bring people to your store.
JJMachineEmbroidery

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true. I really need to put some thought into how to promote my shop. Smile
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJ, I'm not saying that Christmas isn't a HUGE market for embroidery designs, it is. But the designs that I saw were all strictly snowman and not necessarily Christmas at all. I would think that you would rather pick up the non-Christmas crowd that would want winter designs than have them in a strictly Christmas section. Just like if you were so inclined to make some Hanukkah designs, I wouldn't think you would mix them into the Christmas section.

For those that are concerned about the digital delivery of her designs, most of us that use machine embroidery designs are used to getting them delivered digitally, granted usually instantly, but still even by email is a normal process. Someone wanting the designs on discs always have to shell out extra.

Tried to get set up tonight to embroider out a design, and then remembered why I've been ignoring my embroidery machine for awhile. I download freebie designs on my big machine downstairs, then have to put them on a thumb dive to carry upstairs, then get them into my laptop, then into the embroidery program and then try to find my flash drive, but couldn't find the other gadget to stick the flashdrive into, so went ahead and worked on the design. An hour and half after starting I had the design saved onto the proper disc, and went into my sewing room to try to find the other gadget, knocked a bunch of stuff over, found the gadget I was looking for AND the NEW flashdrive I had bought when I couldn't find the other one as well. I have no idea when I found the one that was missing!!! Embarassed At that point I decided to watch TV for awhile. I think what really bothered me is how my machine is so obsolete and Janome just introduced a new one coming out in October, that bypasses everything I was doing for an hour and half tonight. Now how to come up with the money to get that one! Rolling Eyes
JJMachineEmbroidery

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore, I sure hope I didn't offend you. I apologize if I did because that was not my intention. After looking back at what I wrote I realized something was lost in translation from my brain to the keyboard. Embarassed

What I probably should have written is that I thought Christmas was the larger market. That is the reason I am testing your suggestion. It may very well be that those searching for winter designs is the larger market.

I get what you are saying about the snowmen designs, but I have always equated snowmen with Christmas. Your suggestion made me 'think outside of the box' and consider that someone else may not have that same view. Smile
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh goodness, no problem. Hard to really insult me unless you try to imply I'm an idiot! Very Happy The problem is that on ecrater we can only have our items in ONE category. This is why I love Pinterest for promoting. I would have those snowmen on a winter board AND a Christmas board. It is like trying to sell a pajama pattern that has the mom and dad and brother and sister and dog all with their own pattern more or less inside. What category do you list it on here? I have a parent/child pattern category for those that actually look at the categories. On Pinterest I would feature that pattern on five different boards and for all I know someone with a dog will see it on Pinterest and buy it first since they pamper their pooch. Very Happy

You really do need to look outside the box and I did just want to be helpful as I understand your product and what you are trying to do. Wanting you to be successful.
JJMachineEmbroidery

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Moonwishes! I have taken your suggestion and added two new boards to my Pinterest. I still have a lot to do, but things are definitely taking shape. I even got my first feedback. So exciting! Very Happy
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! I'm sending you a PM if I can get my computer here to work.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I do, in order to be fair and non-offensive to all?

If I am selling a home decor item with snowflakes, snowmen, holly berries, poinsettias, etc. I usually word my listing title like this:

Snowmen & Holly Berries Yankee Candle Holder Winter Holiday Christmas Yule Home Decor

That way no one feels singled out. Because certain decor is used for decoration during christmas but the theme itself is not actually associated with christmas. Like snowmen, lots of people put those up in their homes during christmas but the snowman itself has nothing to do with the reason for the christmas celebration, so things like that could be used by anyone even those who do not celebrate the holiday but like to decorate for winter anyway with snow themed things, berries, poinsettias, etc.

I once had a customer thank me for including the word "Yule" in the title of an item like that. She celebrated a different version of the holiday that is similar to christmas but called yule and was pleased that I thought to include other types of holidays. I have even used Hanukkah when listing blue and silver colored holiday decorations, even though the decoration did not picture any dreidels or candle holders on it.
JJMachineEmbroidery

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the examples Tiger. I think I will have to go through my listings one by one and see what else I can add to the titles.

I have learned a lot in the last few days. Thanks everyone! Very Happy
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to eCRATER. As you go through your titles keep in mind that eCRATER allows us 100 characters per title. The search in eCRATER is title only so you need your title to contain as many important keywords as possible. I use a site called Letter Count, http://www.lettercount.com/, to write my titles so I can see the whole title if it's an item that needs maximum keywords.
JJMachineEmbroidery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards,

Thank you! Either I missed that when I was reading through everything or I forgot. And thanks for the link. That looks like a really useful tool! Smile
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also easily count the characters in your title in Microsoft Word under "review".
JJMachineEmbroidery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you AtMemoryLane, that is another great tip! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: