eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

SHIPPING MATRIX - By Ounces Pounds Whatever you need
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DealzStealzThrillz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the items in my store weigh less than 6 ounces and some of them weigh 50 pounds. If I select Small on the Weight Scale, this means it will allow packages up to 16lbs, correct? It appears you can select only one Weight Scale, so how do I handle the weights that are like 50lbs?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DealzStealzThrillz

If you are going to use the matrix, you need to make a basic choice between Actual Weights and Synthetic Weights. This is not something that there is a web choice, but something you need to do, in your head, to decide how to proceed. A synthetic weight is something that you have decided will represent a basic unit of calculating the desired shipping cost. It may, or may not, have a relationship to the real weight of the item. It is something that will be used to index into the selected matrix weight scale, to pluck out a shipping cost, when items are sitting in a shopping cart.

You only need to use Real Weights if you anticipate turning on USPS Calculated. It only is able to function on real/actual weights.
adriennesarmoire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Not Getting The Matrix Reply with quote

I do not understand it at all.

I sold on 3 other sites, and have not really sold more than one item at a time.

I don't understand why everyone has to make a different price and weight set up, when Shipping Costs are what they are. USPS charges so much, FED EX & UPS have their rates; but the weights and zones?

I don't know why we have to do that. I use USPS almost exclusively, and don't have a problem.

Well, as much as I'm trying to get this, I'm not.

Thank you all, anyway.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think you will only sell one item at a time, then just hit the flat rate button and input how much the shipping that item is.
adriennesarmoire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmnnn... I suppose I could start there and try to learn as I go...
That's a good idea, Sammy. Thank you.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Getting The Matrix Reply with quote

adriennesarmoire wrote:
I don't understand why everyone has to make a different price and weight set up, when Shipping Costs are what they are. USPS charges so much, FED EX & UPS have their rates; but the weights and zones?

Well because USPS has many different types of shipping methods. If you have sold elsewhere then you are at least aware that the rates differ between first class, priority, flat rate, media mail and so on. Also, for those using methods that go by weight some of those methods do add an extra charge by zone so what would cost $4.83 to mail to Ohio may cost over $6 to mail the same item in the same box to Arizona. The methods that go solely by weight with no extra zone charges will also vary from seller to selller because you could have two sellers offering the exact same toy but maybe one of those sellers ships in a heavier box than the other which will cost a dollar or so more.

Also, many sellers add extra costs to their shipping like credit card processing fees, so many cents extra to cover the cost of envelopes and bubble wrap or printing ink for the shipping labels, or handling fees and some of us add those costs into the shipping price instead of adding them to the item price. Like if I need to add $1.14 to a listing to cover the cost of the shipping envelope and ink used to print the buyer's label, if the item is something I am already charging the maximum usual selling price for, I will add that $1.14 to the shipping price instead so the cost of my item does not seem too high and chase buyers away.

Like a certain plastic toy I have for $1.99, if I add $1.14 to that and make the price $3.13 plus $2.04 shipping some buyers may think man $3.13 is too much for that toy! But if I leave the price at $1.99 and change the shipping price to $3.18 the price still seems reasonable because $3.18 is not a ridiculous shipping price for that item because other sellers are charging as much as $3.80 to ship the same item, but charging more than $1.99 for the item itself, buyers will consider that to be ridiculous.
adriennesarmoire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Tiger. I always worried about shipping being too high and scaring people away, as opposed to the price being too high and the proverbial, "FREE SHIPPING". I don't believe in it, since it is most often absorbed into the price, anyway.

Thanks again. I will keep that in mind.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue what you sell but for me mostly what I sell is sewing patterns and they ship via first class mail until the weight goes over 13 oz and then it is Priority so I set up my matrix for the number of items and the weight of an average pattern what it costs to sell including postage, packaging, ink, paper, tape, etc. Then I go up in increments in number of items. From 5-6 patterns on I stop adding postage, but charge enough to cover the 1# flat rate envelope and that is my final shipping price as it becomes cheaper for me to give the customer a 'discount' for buying a lot more than usual. So anyhow I carry that price across the rest of the matrix.

When I do list something that isn't a pattern, I pre-weigh it and depending on what it is, such as a book, I estimate the packaged shipping cost and give it the 'weight' from my matrix for what will cover the cost. For instance I sell a book that costs an actual $4 via media mail. I would give it a weight of whatever would bring me in closer to that price and make sure it more than covers instead of just barely.

The problem with putting actual shipping costs in your listing, is every time the rates go up, you have to manually change each listing and that can take a long time depending on how much you have listed.

My way with the matrix really works and unless I have an overweight pattern that I didn't catch when listing, It always covers the cost of shipping, especially when I sell multiple items, and yes it does happen! I once sold 27 patterns and only charged the flat rate envelope rate. When packaged the Priority rate was $10 but with a sale that big, I saved big time by using a FREE Priority box, and no 27 PP/Stripe fees of the initial 30 cents if each of those patterns had sold one at a time (27 x .30 = $8.10)!

I was confused at first as well, but I studied it and then one night in bed the light bulb went off and the next day I set it up and other than upping prices when needed, I haven't changed it since and I've been here since 2008!
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, moonwishes!

I sell a variety of items with all different weights: fabric, patterns, WWI items, clothing, home dec, puzzles, books etc.

I'll have to keep chipping away at it...

BTW: I am the same person; close my store and opened this one. Smile
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adr, I also sell a variety of "stuff" with a variety of weights and almost exclusively use the usps.

What I did was simply, using the prices from the usps site, filled out the matrix. I didn't use it as a pseudo item count. I used it simply as it is - a weight matrix. I didn't read anything into.

I use it as a back up in case the usps site goes down.

Perhaps, you are making it more complicated than what it has to be. Don't overthink it and you probably will have no problem at all.

As others have said, when the lightbulb goes off, you will have no problem. It will take you 15 minutes to complete it.

Picture this - You are in fifth grade math glass and you got caught talking...so the Teacher Nun is making you stay after school and complete stupid busy work in the form of math multiplication tables. [The only difference is now you can use your calculator or computer to do the busy work.]

Good Luck!
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTFL!!!

Thank you!

I appreciate everyone's help on this thread.

So, I just get the USPS shipping weights per ounce/pound and fill it in? I'm game.... will be back to report soon............
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am still trying to wrap this around my brain, I wondered:
Could a You Tube be made like I have seen other Selling Platforms do?
Just wondered...
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@adriennesretropolis

Here are a few posts/threads that may help with this ...

http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?p=291555#291555
http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=35577&highlight=matrix
http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=34312&highlight=matrix
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Cosmicray!

I am viewing them now; I took a break on the 2nd link and am going back to it.

I will go over these carefully before I ask any more.

Smile
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting prices into each pound cell doesn't make sense:

If they buy multiple items, how can it adjust so people are not overcharged shipping?

What about zones & Priority Mail?

I am really weary on this. I'll persevere for a day or two more; maybe someone will post something I can understand better.

Till then. I'm on hold and can't see filling my shop until I get it.

Thanks! Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 22 of 25

Jump to: