eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

shipping cost

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grannyswhatnotshop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: shipping cost Reply with quote

Is there any way I can get around the shipping cost. I don't like to list the shipping price. If I list it as 0.00 they may think its free. If they are Interested in a items i want them to ask about the shipping cost.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unfortunate fact is that many, many buyers will not read all of the information even in a single item listing.

If you put the shipping as zero that's what many people will assume it is.
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: shipping cost Reply with quote

grannyswhatnotshop wrote:
Is there any way I can get around the shipping cost. I don't like to list the shipping price. If I list it as 0.00 they may think its free. If they are Interested in a items i want them to ask about the shipping cost.

People that shop online want to buyer it now. Not have to wait for you to reply to an email regarding the cost.
There is not a shopping cart I am aware of that you don't include shipping some way.

Quote:
If I list it as 0.00 they may think its free

LOL, because it is. If you state zero shipping cost that means that there are no shipping cost.
JewelryDesignsByCher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to remove the "Welcome to my Yahoo auctions" line on your home page, rather than confuse shoppers.

There's really no way around putting a s/h cost in your items, unless you want to roll it into the price of the item, and promote it as free shipping. Most buyers will not take the trouble to ask, nor want to wait for an answer, as they might with auctions. They're more likely to just pass on to another store to look for the item.

You have to remember these are stores, not auctions ... they're not here to bid and wait, since many buy on impulse, and if you miss the moment, you could miss the sale. I know if I'm shopping on a website, and can't find what they're shipping charges are, I won't buy there.
JewelryDesignsByCher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing... you might try re-writing some of your descriptions and eliminating some of the "negatives" in your listings.

Quote:
I am certainly not an authority on any of my items so please ask question before. All computer games and programs are bought at your own risk, they may or may not work on your system

1. Telling them you don't know anything about many of the items you're selling is not going to instill confidence in a buyer Cool

2. Giving them 5 days to 3 weeks to pay? again... these are stores, not auctions, which means they pay immediately upon purchasing!

Quote:
Im very busy so I mail items as I have time.

3. So, what does that mean? You'll mail their purchase when you "get around to it"? Hmmmm... can you say "customer service"?

4. Ending with "If any of this is a problem please do not buy"? Rolling Eyes

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't buy from you. Confused
grannyswhatnotshop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Some of you were kind of rough on me. I've never sold on a store site. Maybe I'll keep looking for a new site to sell on.
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some of you were kind of rough on me.

I concur. Sarcasm is not necessary. Especially from those who are promoting their off-Ecrater "auctions" - just not on the front page of their store Rolling Eyes

Take the constructive criticism, granny, and make some changes to your store. Don't forget to check out the "Solutions" section, it's jam packed with great information.

Best of luck on the 'Crater!
YourRainyDayBookStore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: shipping cost Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any way I can get around the shipping cost. I don't like to list the shipping price. If I list it as 0.00 they may think its free.
Right now everything you have listed is showing FREE SHIPPING. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
If they are Interested in a items i want them to ask about the shipping cost. I dont list shipping prices do to changes in shipping cost. Give me a zip code and I will give you a shipping cost.
For books use Media Mail as zone rates do not apply. Your USA shipping costs will be the same no matter where you ship. Very Happy

For selling my books it was easier to add the shipping cost into my selling price. For instance a 1# bubble envelope by Media Mail will cost $2.13 plus 18 cents delivery confirmation.

Shipping of non-book items will be harder to figure as you are now dealing with zones plus the new USPS rates that include size and weight. Confused

I still have my collectible store, Old House Collectibles, on hold until there is time to figure out how to work the Shipping Matrix.

Even with the problems of the Shipping Matrix you will never find a better place to have a store! The community is there for you and all you need to do is ask for help. The eCrater site is fabulous and far above anyone else! Very Happy

Welcome to eCrater and dont give up!

Joyce
fancyflappers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eleganzajewels wrote:
Quote:
Some of you were kind of rough on me.

I concur. Sarcasm is not necessary. Especially from those who are promoting their off-Ecrater "auctions" - just not on the front page of their store Rolling Eyes

Is there a rule against mentioning other selling venues in your store? Confused

Hi granny Wink, glad you found your way over here. Cher gave you some very good advice, make some changes to your store and you'll be good to go.

As far as the shipping, I have mine set for flat-rates and have never had a problem. I don't have it set by weight, I have my matrix set by price incriments and use certain prices for certain products by entering 1-2-4or 6 in the weight box on the listing page. I know I'm not explaining it very well but this thread does; http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=481&highlight=shipping+matrix
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

Some of you were kind of rough on me. I've never sold on a store site. Maybe I'll keep looking for a new site to sell on.

I'd recommend taking the advice you can use and ignoring the rest. Whether it seems rough or not all of that info is good stuff if you want to make sales.
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a rule against mentioning other selling venues in your store?

No rule against it.
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a rule against mentioning other selling venues in your store?

Of course there's not. Just like there's no rule banning mentioning Yahoo auctions on your storefront. Confused Sauce for the goose and all that.

Just a big ole wide-open Ecrater world, it is Wink
JewelryDesignsByCher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, and like eCrater for that...plus there's no html or linking, so we must be creative when trying to promote our "other" selling venues. For myself, all my links & banners direct everyone here to my eCrater store, at least where it's "legal" to do so. Cool

However, my point was not that OP mentions Yahoo Auctions on her home page... it was that it was obvious that no effort was made to welcome her buyers to her eCrater Store, and to customize it in some way, rather than just paste from her auctions.

So many sellers come here from auction venues, and neglect to "edit" their pages to reflect the store format... and leave in so many references to auctions, bidding, payment, etc ~ all of which are so different from direct store sales, that I still believe it confuses a buyer when they're browsing, and may even be a direct correlation to non paying buyers.

JMHO of course ~ Cher
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: